[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When he retires, will we judge his career as a success or as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 4
File: Wayne-Rooney-601018.jpg (38 KB, 590x350) Image search: [Google]
Wayne-Rooney-601018.jpg
38 KB, 590x350
When he retires, will we judge his career as a success or as somewhat of a failure?
>>
Success, although never lived up to the hype.
>>
Failure internationally given the expectations put on him, but I'm sure United fans will view him as a legend. Whatever you think of him today, from 2004-2010 he was phenomenal, and often unplayable. His goal record speaks for itself.

As a Chelsea fan he was always the one who scared me when >we played them in the Ferguson era. Not Ronaldo.
>>
>>66381682
Underwhelming, failed internationally, never became the best striker in the world
>>
Failure

Could have been so much more
>>
That will entirely depend on the outcome of this year's Euros
>>
>International career
>being a factor
Why?
>>
>>66381724
Because as a youngster he was hyped as the man who would bring football home, especially after how good he was at Euro 2004.
>>
>>66381724
Because the World Cup is the biggest trophy one can win. Messi will probably not win it which will always lead to "buts" about his GOAT status.
>>
>>66381724
Euro 2004 is where he made his name and what started off the hype train.
>>
Will Old Toilet be renamed after Rooney?
>>
>>66381724
It's not just his international career, he hasn't been the same for years now and he's only 30
>>
File: The age of Rooney.jpg (104 KB, 1593x195) Image search: [Google]
The age of Rooney.jpg
104 KB, 1593x195
>>66381682
Obligatory
>>
>>66381704
>As a Chelsea fan he was always the one who scared me when >we played them in the Ferguson era. Not Ronaldo.
As an Arsenal fan I can say the same.
>>
He achieved a hell of a lot considering his relative lack of natural talent
>>
>>66381750
why would your mum be renamed after rooney?
>>
If Rooney had left united when Fergie left would he still be good?

Wonga or Mouyes could have revitalised him
>>
>be fat and lazy 'footballer' on 300k p/w
>keeping better younger fitter players out of the team
>get injured
>become alcoholic and suicidal
>keep kane/vardy benched while england slide out of another tournament
>>
>>66381783
>relative lack of natural talent
lolwut, Rooney was like the biggest name in Liverpool's football scene from when he was about 8
>>
>>66381790
Chelsea wanted to pay £40 mil for him before he signed the £300k a week deal.

Also funnily I remember a screenshot of an online poll Barca's fans voted in about which striker they'd want to sign next, Rooney got the most votes followed by Suarez. They then signed Suarez.
>>
All English players will forever be the victims of their own hype.

Rooney was made out to be the second coming of christ after the 2004 Euros, when he failed to live up to the massive expectations of singlehandedly dragging England to a World cup, he was crucified.

Probably got sick and tired of it all, its hard to play for a country that does this to you I imagine. At least at United he never copped any flak. Not until recently anyway.
>>
>>66381783
he's all natural talent, that's it. he's not super fit and conditioned compared to the majority of pl players, he made his name scoring blooters for everton and england
>>
>>66381682
About as much hype and wasted potential as Michael Owens.
>>
>>66381870
Rooney has undoubtedly had a better career than Owen did.

Owen fell off earlier, quicker and way harder.
>>
Rooney will not be remembered as fondly as Gerrard.
>>
>>66381770
Drogba and Rooney always seemed to fuck Arsenal over.
>>
>>66381890
True, as Gerrard stayed at Liverpool, but had Gerrard gone to Chelsea in 2003 or 2004, their career trajectories would have probably been fairly similar.
>>
>>66381881
Yeah, Owen was more talented as well, what a waste.
>>
>>66381923
Owen was always overrated. Knew he would amount to fuck all when you english DWEEBS were banging on about that fluke goal vs Argentina.
>>
Clearly a failure. Very talented, but lazy and a fucking whiner.
>>
pretty big success since hes about to lead us to the winning the euros :)
>>
>>66381967
That's not Wilshere
>>
>>66381763
Kek
>>
You stole my thread ya cunt
>>
>>66381790
RVP literally replaced Rppney in Fergs last year

Then they both turned to shit when moyes came in and stayed shit under van laal

only rooney was able to bully his way into a 300k p/w contract
>>
Rooney never ever reached his hype

I am a Man Utd fan as well
>>
>>66382017
>implying he'll even be fit to play
>>
He'll be forgotten in two years
>>
>>66381682
Qualified success. If he had had the work ethic of Ronaldo, he would have been so much more. He is England's greatest goalscorer if all context is ignored.
>>
I still remember that goal he scored against Arsenal in like the 90th minute to beat them when he was 16 years old at Everton, fucking GOAT.

There's never been a better goal scored by a 16 year old in the top leagues.
>>
File: beckhams.jpg (52 KB, 510x680) Image search: [Google]
beckhams.jpg
52 KB, 510x680
>>66381763
>>
He will be remembered as the man that played along with Chicharito.
>>
>>66381724
>>66381742
That is a ridiculous way of thinking, I believe younger generations will not adhere to it. It feels like our parents and grandparents way of arguing "when I was young, the best players were better than the ones today! Maradona single handedly won a World Cup, what about Messi???"
Messi is the GOAT and I don't think he'll win it.
>>
was good but never the best
lost his bursty pace and control and hes only 30.. didnt really have prime years aroud 27-30 was just constantly good at a young age then got shit
>>
Success by English standards because they can't even dream about winning titles with the NT or winning continental titles with the club

The rest of the world will forget he existed
>>
>only scored 20+ league goals 2 times in 14 seasons
>good

he was so overrated it's laughable.

never been anywhere near the Zlatans, Suarez, Lewandowskis of this world.
>>
>rppney

20 March at 06:29 ·
Allegations published by the Sunday Mirror that were presented to my management team, Nike and the FA are denied by all, are wrong and total rubbish.
The matter is now with my lawyers so can't say anymore at this time.
>>
>>66382882
thanks alan
>>
>judged by success in infrequent international tournaments with inconsistent coaching and teammates instead of weekly results with your real team
why?
>>
Depends on if England wins a WC.
>>
File: roo.jpg (31 KB, 634x286) Image search: [Google]
roo.jpg
31 KB, 634x286
White Heskey gonna mediocre that Euro. Fun fun fun.
>>
>>66382882
Damn seriously? Thats a laughable record.

Though to be fair he had to take a backseat to Ronaldo's goalscoring form.
>>
>>66381682
absolute legend who along with Lampard Gerrard Scholes etc always came up short internationally.
>>
>>66381742
>>66382749
Messi is the greatest athlete Ive ever seen.
Ive seen Jordan Lebron Barry sanders Bonds etc and they dont even compare
>>
>>66381682
>>66381682
if you think this guy's been a failure, your standards are irrationally high. granted he never reached perceived potential, but he's had substantial longevity, he's been an important player in some of the best sides of the past 25 years and he's well decorated. all this despite struggling with injuries here and there.

fuck rooney tho, can't stand him.
>>
>>66381783
>I don't even know a thing about the sport my country created

You do realise that the problem with Rooney is that he's one of the most naturally gifted players that any of us have seen, it's his fucking motivation to best/improve that is lacking. The guy can literally score from anywhere and can score any kind of goal. He's just too preoccupied with shagging grannies and going out on the lash to have been the best. Henry actually did a really good interview where he compared Rooney to Ronaldo and Messi, and talked about how Rooney easily could have been regarded in the same bracket but just never seemed like he was interested in fulfilling his potential. Part of the reason why he's so revered. His mental capacity also seems littler than that of a down syndrome child.
>>
>>66382882
>is the only player in the history of the premier league to record over 11 goals as season for 11 seasons
>>
>>66383683
remind me how many other strikers have played 11 consecutive seasons for a top 4 club?

no one. it's not an impressive stat when you play for Man Utd. Especially under the best manager of all time
>>
He has been a top player in the top club of the premiership since he was in his teens. So yes he is a great and should be remembered as such.
Being big in Spain or France or even here in Italy or Germany means nothing compared to the premiership, the premiership is twice what other leagues are.
>>
>>66381682
Pretty damn good player but ultimately never really fulfilled his potential domestically or internationally. Not many English players have fulfilled their potential internationally so he doesn't really have to worry about that. I remember his debut goal for United and his hattrick on debut in the UCL. He used to be so fucking good.
>>
>>66383764
>being a self-loathing, ass kissing faggot

go kill yourself you pathetic, uncle tom cunt
>>
>>66383764
>best league in the world meme

when was the last time the premiership had the best player in the world? maybe Cristiano in 2008, that's the only time this century
>>
>>66383725
>second most goals in the prem ever
>not impressive

Yeah shut the fuck up. I'm not even a manure fan but you are clearly just a hater. Most strikers are sold/forced to move on because they can't keep the consistency. The fact that he's managed to remain with a club for 11 seasons straight (and a "top 4" one at that, as you put it) is impressive enough on its own you uneducated cretin.
>>
insanely overrated by the media
>>
>>66381682
a complete failure
>>
>>66381682
won everything there was to win in club football except the FA cup.
Can't do anything about the fact that he plays for Englel and thus doomed to failure internationally forever.
>yfw Englel meme their way into the yuros.
>>
>>66381763
excellent
>>
>>66383725
>remind how many other players have managed to do this
>none
>I'm unimpressed

Tip top kek. I've never seen someone prove themselves wrong like that before, and I've lived here for like 6 years or something.
>>
>>66383842
>play for the 2nd or 3rd biggest club of all time
>play for the best manager of all time
>play in the best team in the history of the club
>play with Ronaldo, Giggs, Tevez, Scholes, Berbatov, Di Maria
>first team regular for 11 seasons
>still only hit >17 goals in a season TWICE
>can't maintain a 0.50 record
>impressive

you're a fuking mongoloid mate. go back to your rug or afl shite, and leave this sport to the big boys
>>
>>66383819
Owen in 2002 but i see your point
>>
>>66383861
he can do something about his own performances though which were consistently terrible at world cups. remember when england played algeria and rooney was literally the worst player on the pitch, and then this happened
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRFerImV2zw
>>
>>66383957
meh he can't win it on his own, also englel have been a joke at world cups for all of the 2000s
>>
>>66383935
>citation needed (2 CL titles)
>correct
>99 was better
>selfish cunt, good, selfish, great, good, shit
>true
>he thinks goals = greatness
>see above
>>
>>66383935
>Rooney always played as a striker
When Rolando was there Rooney played on the left.
After Rolando left Rooney played many games in midfield because they bought Berbatov and played with a single striker.
Literally used as a midfielder for most of last season under laang baal.

Truth is he hasn't played many season as an out and out goalscorer.
The fact that he has that many goals is a reminder of how good he really is.
>>
>>66383952
i don't think owen was even the best player in the prem in 2002? off the top of my head there was henry for starters. and what about zidane, figo, raul, del piero...
>>
>>66383842
>The fact that he's managed to remain with a club for 11 seasons straight (and a "top 4" one at that, as you put it) is impressive enough on its own you uneducated cretin.
he sells lots of shirts and also cost a fortune so he's unlikely to be moved on quickly (see: torres)
>>
>>66383952
Owen in 2000 you mean
>2002
>Owen being good
>kept out of the team by darius vassell
kek
>>
>>66383935
Okay, I get it. You don't like him. Stop embarrassing yourself.
>>
Wayne "1 World Cup Goal" Rooney
>>
>>66381870
>>66381881
>>66381923

The difference is Owen's hamstrings got completely rekt at 19 and his knee got BTFO at 26

By the time he was at Newcastle he was ready to be taken out back and shot.

If he had stayed injury free he could have been GOAT his pace at 18 was outrageous.

Rooney was just laziness desu
>>
Not read the thread but Rooney has had one of the most successful careers of any footballers playing today

/sp/ just has a lot of 15-18 year olds who started watching football in the last few years (despite him still having been the best player in a terrible Man United team since Moyes took over)
>>
>>66384055
>>66384092
2001 is when he won it my bad. thought it was 02
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g55P86mEmQY

What went wrong?
>>
>>66384211
Messi is basically the same but people still say he is the best all time.

Team sports are team sports.
>>
>>66382839
this
>>
His career will have been a success but he will been seen as not reaching his full potential
>>
>>66381682
he's a flop
>>
>>66381682
If he wasn't english playing for an english team no one would care about him
>>
>>66383683
Lampard got at least 10 in 10 straight seasons as a midfielder
>>
>>66381682
Success even tho hes not legacy tier. But sine hes the best englands got theyll market him so.
>>
>>66381704
>not torres at liverpool. Terry has even spoken about this a few times. Torres during his peak was elite top 3.
>>
longevity babby
>>
Be for real. A lot of people start with high expectations and don't amount to shit.
He has a lot of trophies. He did pretty well.
>>
Hes the Ricky Hatton of soccer. Fan favorite, naturally gifted but not an ultra elite freak of nature. Hes like a normal guy whos just really good at his sport for some reason.
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.