[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
lads, which countries do you think are the great underachievers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 4
File: mexikek.png (159 KB, 1576x1127) Image search: [Google]
mexikek.png
159 KB, 1576x1127
lads, which countries do you think are the great underachievers and overachievers in world football?

for me Uruguay are the clear overachievers even if they won all that stuff like a hundred years ago, still counts.
and the greatest underachiever I can think of has to be Turkey.

what about obscure countries though, or rather, countries we don't know that they actually love football and whatnot.
>>
argentina is the biggest underachiever are u fucking dumb? tell me what trophy you have seen your team win. None? that's right, you have 0 trophies while having the best players in the world for 20 years now. get the fuck out.
>>
>>66319675
sorry for the image m8, didn't mean to trigger you at all.

anyways, I've seen my national team win the olympics (which is absolutely irelevant, I know) and a Copa América.
I've also seen them reach the WC final which is not a title but I think is quite relevant, otherwise netherlands would be the most underachieving nation ever.
>>
Entire continent of Asia. Except for India, they all care about soccer and they're all worse than >us who don't care about soccer at all.
>>
>turkey
no
>>
>>66320838
how come?
they're shit, but they have a population twice as big as Argentina's and they love football, so they are underachievers without a doubt.
and given their horrible record in WC history, they are the biggest underachievers.
>>
>>66320838
Mehmet my son
>>
>>66319642

England for sure.
>>
>>66320984
At least they reached a semifinal, unlike mexico
>>
Overachiever: Greece (Euro trophy)
Underachiever: England, Netherlands
>>
>>66319675
CHI
>>
>>66323327
>>66323588
Football is only one of 3 major sports here, and a massive chunk of our population doesn't play it since it's viewed as the working class pleb game. Not trying to excuse bad performances, just saying that England does about as well as it should considering.

Mexico is obviously the biggest underachiever, but Colombia has a similar population to us and basically only plays football yet only just managed to get to the quarter finals for the first time. Turkey has a population like 25m higher than us and has barely done anything too.
>>
Probably the USA. >We get so many prospects from other countries but can't do shit with them.
And people that complain about why we don't call up Pulisic don't understand why calling up a 17 year old is bad for him when Freddy Adu imploded shortly after everyone put giant expectations on him.
>>
>>66323494
>beating Japan and Senegal
wow
such good
much prestige
>>
>>66319642
Before the euro-WC-euro we were the biggest underachievers or at least up there for sure

Thank god we fixed that an I was alive to witness it.
>>
Iceland qualifying for the Euros is a massive over achievement and the fact they actually have a decent team

>Population 332,000
>>
>>66323696
At least they did it m8. Mexico got knocked out by USA that same year, who were not better than Senegal
>>
>>66323727
Based 2-0 over Neverlands was a great day on /sp/
>>
>>66319642
I don't think Mexico has underachieved. We have never had good enough talent to be contenders in the first place. If we're talking Copa America however, I agree. We should've won at least one title by now.
>>
>>66323776
CHI
>>
>>66323776
>we
>>
>>66323776
>we
>flag
>>
>>66323776
They are the biggest underachievers I know.
>>
>>66323776
>We have never had good enough talent to be contenders in the first place

Mind boggling in and of itself, how is that even possible? It's not like Brazil is a historically wealthy country either and they've consistently produced GOATs.
>>
>>66323794
it's something in the water in brazil
>>
India
>>
>>66319642
England being underachievers is a bit of a meme really. We have the same amount of WCs as Spain and France, and more than the Netherlands, Portugal, Russia, Mexico, and a bunch of other countries where football is #1 sport.
>>
>>66323811
Indians don't really play football.

The fact that they manage to have a population bigger than every other Cricket playing nation put together and care about it massively yet are still consistently not the best is ridiculous though.
>>
I think what Costa Rica achieved and how fearlessly they played in the last WC is quite remarkable
>>
>>66323828
DLF

MAXIMUM
A
X
I
M
U
M
>>
>>66323632
>a massive chunk of our population doesn't play it since it's viewed as the working class pleb game
this, there still is a lack of investment in the game from good schools, where in Germany a player might develop

most English players are still working class kids picked from the streets, hence why Rooney and Gerrard could flourish
>>
>>66323838
Is also why English managers are almost universally terrible, our players are all morons who'd be on benefits if they couldn't kick a ball around at a high level.
>>
>>66323794
We don't have niggers, until recently our players only played in the domestic league, and until this century, the federation didn't care about proper nutrition, and strength and conditioning. Players used to show up fat and drunk to training. If anything the team has vastly improved from those 5-0 massacres from the 30's to the late 70's. At least the team can now compete against anyone, and not get BTFO.
>>
>>66323776
>we
>cant stump the trump
>>
>>66323859
The few charismatic clued up ones end up as pundits. I'm sure Gary Linekar could have made a good manager, but he chose the showbiz life.
>>
>>66319642
Dats rigth. But Argentina have been underachieving that good the last 20 years, considering the quality of playera they have. Pretty shitty right?
>>
>>66323727
this
>>
>>66323776
Dear Leader Hiro,

Can we just get it over with now, and change the name when we hover over the stars and stripes with our cursor to Mexico Norte?

I think it's time.

Thanks.
>>
>>66319675
t. zero world cups
>>
>>66328313

>mfw i've been watching this sport all my life
>mfw i can't even remember brazil win anything

sorry my memory only goes back to 2005 at best. you are as irrelevant as argentina.
>>
overachiever: uruguay
underachiever: argentina, france
>>
>>66328360
they won the confederations cup and again in 2013 that year you dumb coon
>>
>>66319675
Why are chicanos always so fucking butthurt?
Seriously when that whole no era penal thing happened every fucking time I posted anything on /sp/ there was always at least one spic with an american flag yelling at me
>>
>>66328360
are you underage?
I'm 20 and I remember Brazil winning in 2002 very well
>>
>>66319642
Overachiever: Uruguay
Underachiever: England
>>
>>66323776
>we
>>
>>66319642
Hey that's like, your oponion man...
>>
>>66319642
brazil is the biggest underachiever.
should've won the thing in 1938, 1950, 1966, 1998, and 2006.

>tfw not decachampion
>>
>>66319746
Sawker is a pretty new thing to Asia. They were pretty bad before the turn of the century. They had maybe a handful of decent players like that Korean in bundleliga.
>>
>>66323814
You talk like England wasn't obsessed with football and filling lower division stadiums.
Heck, the championship is probably better than Liga MX. Probably top 10 league.
Just 1 cup ref balled at home for the inventors of football. France and Spain have both won other shit.
>>
>>66328360

>WC 2002
>Confed Cup 2013

lel go to bed little johnny, you have school tomorrow.
>>
>>66330236

Hang Dunga and half of the team and we can be it easy.
>>
>>66330536
Since the turn of the century:
World Cup 2002
Copa America 2007 and 2004
Confed cups 2013, 2009 and 2005
And a some finals like Gold cup 2003, u-17 WC 2005 and Olympics 2012, maybe some u-20 that I don't remember.
>>
>>66330624

Yep, even though 7-1. We still strong AF, but for the "elite football" we still behind.
>>
File: 24626357378368.png (40 KB, 448x719) Image search: [Google]
24626357378368.png
40 KB, 448x719
>>66323834
it was a rather overachieving WC for them.
but that's just 1 event, once in a lifetime, and no title.

that'd be like saying turkey is decent because of that cheeky 3rd place, you should stop defending them.
talking about all-time records, turkey is by far the biggest underachiever of all, wether you like it or not.
>>
>>66332708
>1954
>3 games played
>10 goals scored
>11 goals conceded
>>
>>66330783

7-1 negates everything you've ever accomplished. Just like Northern Iowa choking against TAMU negated their miraculous buzzer beater the round before.

Brazil will now be forever known as the country that got butt fucked by the krauts on global television. Deal with it, rape victim.
>>
>>66323776
CA
>>
>>66332735
>7-1 negates everything you've ever accomplished
no it doesn't.
losing against us in the final would've though (even if it was just a 1-0 or by a penalty shootout).

Brasil was playing like shit and would've lost to us, so if anything 1-7 saved Brasil from absolute devastation.
>>
>>66319675
Kill yourself you subhuman fucking spic. And make sure to kill yourself on the other side of the border so that your decomposing skinnyfat body doesnt let out taco odors which attract more Mexican cockroaches.

You're a meme. No one takes your opinion seriously and you are the bane of both Americans and Mexicans. Just fuck off from my country and from the face of this planet you useless welfare hogging, mariachi playing, gang banging wannabe, Home depot parking lot crasher, Salmonella infesting orange picking subhuman piece of garbage
>>
>>66329554stop it, you're making me jealous.

Just take it all in and smile. Be proud of your accomplishment, dude.
>>
Nigeria is the biggest underachiever.

>180 million people
>Football is their only sport and they are obsessed with it
>Many talented players over the years
>0 (ZERO) world cup quarter final appearances
>>
>>66333719
That's some serious projection my friend, are you okay? :) :) :)
>>
>>66319717
>16 million inhabitants
>underachieving

everything we do is overachieving untermensch
>>
>>66330236
Even 82, the most overrated NT squad of all time, should've won it too.

And 90.
>>
>>66328360
>not remembering Brazil winning WC

Get this underage outta here
>>
File: 1415337567137.jpg (11 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1415337567137.jpg
11 KB, 250x250
>>66323632
>>66323838
>>66323859
We laugh at england when they fail at cricket and rugby
>b-but no one cares! It's all about football!
We laugh at england when they underachieve at soccer
>b-but we have other sports to contend with. muh talent pool

pathetic
>>
>>66323632
>>66323838
what the fuck are you talking about?
football players are all uneducated plebs, everywhere.

do you think Agüero is an engineer or something?
he's been living in england for ages and can't speak english for his life.
same with Tevez.
and Messi, although he's always lived in castilian speaking countries, so whatever.
>>
>>66333931
Reminder England has as many ashes wins as Australia despite people under 30 here not even knowing what cricket is and it being Australia's overall most popular sport.

Nice pooformance.

inb4 muh O-ODI
>>
>>66333987
not entirely true, Aguero can speak basic, basic english now
>>
>>66334015
>it being Australia's overall most popular sport

Try "least divided by geographic region"
>>
>>66334129
show me.
>>
United States
Russia
China
Canada
India

0 world class footballers produced
>>
>>66334444
> Russia
Learn2football m8.
>>
>>66334129

You mean he can say "u wot m8"?
>>
Turkey are probably the greatest underachiever in football.
>>
>>66334480
the hue probably heard him say something like "is very dee-fee-cool, no?"
>>
Mexico and it shouldn't even be close. They've won every meme tournament they could've yet no WC or Copa America.
>>
Has to be England. All those world class players winning everything at club level but can't win at the euros or at a wc. We're bloody rubbish. I wonder why that is?
>>
It's China. They care as much as Japan and SK and yet they aren't even North Korea tier
>>
>tfw you'll always be that small country that punches above its weight but will never achieve true success

M-maybe the next generation.
>>
whats all about those ppl saying uruguay is overachieved?
where were you cunts in 2010/11?
were you guys alive in 1950?
how can you judge it

also >turkey underachieved because they had a good squad in 2002 and 2004

biggest underachiever are netherlands and portugal tho, maybe nigeria because they had good players in the past
>>
>>66334521
Every meme tournament win has been after the 90's. Before that there are only some CONCACAF championships. And Mexico has only been invited to Copa America since 1993, and as with invitee status, so unseeded most of the time.
Chilli took 99 years to win the cup.
>>
>>66335085
Which they did at hosts. Something Mexico has not had the chance to have and probably never will.
>>
>>66333987
Compared to Italy, Spain and Germany and the Netherlands (the successful European countries) we're the unusual ones yes. Guys like Ancelotti, Guardiola, Klopp, and Van Laal wouldn't have anything to do with football if they'd been born here.

Look at any of the national teams for those 4 countries now, they all have far more intelligent people than England has had in my lifetime. Again, guys like Muller, Robben, Buffon and Casillas would be nowhere near a football field if they were English, but those are just a few examples, it's true that they're far more intelligent across the board.
>>
Mexico has underachieved at football because Mestizos aren't good athletes. Discuss.
>>
File: Mestizos aren't good athletes.webm (2 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
Mestizos aren't good athletes.webm
2 MB, 960x540
>>66335332
>
>>
>>66335060
>Uruguay are not overachievers
Urugay has a population of 3 million.
2 world cups
16 Copas America
I've unironically seen urugay win Copa America 5 years ago.

yeah, sure hans, they're not an overachieving side.
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.