[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (323 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
323 KB, 1024x768
What went wrong?
>>
he hate me
>>
vince mcmahon
>>
they didnt give vince strong enough erections
>>
Instead of creating a more violent, wrestling-influenced brand of football, they just made a vaguely edgy amateur NFL.
>>
>>65917293
Objectifying women
>>
It has an X in the title. This killed it from the start.

Anything that start with an X is going to be seen as alternative, meme-grade garbage.

Basically someone trried to make a sport out of American Gladiators and failed. Oh well, at least we have that sweet XFL ball to remember it by. Yeah baby.
>>
HE HATE ME
E

H
A
T
E

M
E
>>
Memes
>>
File: a sports staple.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
a sports staple.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
>>65917303
>>65918120
>>
Did they have any relevant players?
>>
>>65917293
Vince doesn't that what makes pro wrestling successful doesn't necessarily carry over to actual sports
>>
It was a ramshackle version of football and it took all the professionalism and respectability of the NFL and replaced it with the edgy appeal of defiance and carnage you get with other "extreme" sports. It was like the NFL's angry little brother. If I remember right it was also made up of the NFL and college football's castaways.

I will say the idea of competing for opening possession was cool, but of course somebody injured himself in the very first game which was a bad omen of things to come.
>>
>>65917293
2meme4normies
>>
Ahead of its time honestly
>>
>>65917293
they didnt put me in charge of the operation
>>
Played in the spring, talent level was too low.
>>
>>65917293
That jacket
>>
>>65918683
The Spring definitely sucks overall...many games were in the worst winter weather....and football fans were probably fatigued anyway
>>
File: xfl teams.jpg (203 KB, 640x456) Image search: [Google]
xfl teams.jpg
203 KB, 640x456
MEMPHIS MEMPHIS
>>
It came too early to be embraced by memers
>>
>>65918890
I know a grey plaid jacket with black jacket

>Do u even have a mirror

Amirite
>>
When your talent pool consists of everyone who can't cut it in the NFL what you're left is... shitty football.
>>
It was an alternate to the NFL without the credibility of play that the USFL had.

And we all know what went wrong with the USFL (Drumpf)
>>
File: JohnOliver.png (113 KB, 763x652) Image search: [Google]
JohnOliver.png
113 KB, 763x652
>>65920621
>Drumpf

John Oliver please leave.
>>
>>65920495
Would an XFL team beat the Browns?
>>
>>65919134
i actually went to the first xfl game at the liberty bowl. it was cold. my dad still has a ratty old maniax tshirt he wears to work on his car.
>>
>>65918144
eXtreme
>>
File: 1454908693212.png (504 KB, 1380x446) Image search: [Google]
1454908693212.png
504 KB, 1380x446
>>65920621
Fuck off liberal faggot.

This isn't reddit.
>>
>>65920639
>who can't cut it in the NFL

Meaning the shittiest player on the Browns is better than XFL superstars.
>>
>>65920637
Trump was the only reason USFL lasted as long as it did.
>>
>>65919134
Baltimore one is pretty sweet. The chorgers should have this
>>
the coin toss was two guys had to sprint and dive on a ball and whoever came out with it won the toss. in the first ever coin toss one of the guys got injured. that probably didnt help
>>
>>65919134
These SO RAD 90s Power Rangers tier helmets along with the names pretty much tells you this was WWE tier shit. Vince McMahon being involved is just the cherry on top.

And frankly the 90s faggotry with its quasi cool animal logos and pastel color homosexuality invaded the NFL as well, just look at the Jaguars and the Panthers.
>>
>>65920639
If an XFL player was good enough to play for the Browns they'd be fucking playing for the Browns. The XFL base salary for a QB was 50,000$, about 1/4th of the rookie minimum salary for the NFL, fuck even NFL practice Squad members make a minimum of $6,300 per week

NFL Practice Squad
>>
They tried to produce it too much like WWE.

>Players cutting scripted promos on each other
>Shitty presentation
>Rumours that Vince wanted to script the matches, so you'd have "jobber" (shit) teams that were always fated to lose
>Jim Ross trying to commentate like he was watching Stone Cold vs The Undertaker all the fucking time
>>
>>65921811
>BAH GAWD THE OUTLAWS JUST MADE THE 1ST DOWN FROM 3RD AND LONG
>OUTLAWS
>OUTLAWS
>OUTLAWS
>>
File: mr-mcmahon-buys-wcw-1418539304.jpg (145 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
mr-mcmahon-buys-wcw-1418539304.jpg
145 KB, 1280x720
Could Vince become President? He almost beat Trump at wrestlemania.
>>
>>65920737
I feel bad for the Mountain Lion, then.y're America's panther, but they keep getting passed over for Jaguars and Tigers. Even when Carolina named their team "Panthers" they used a Jaguar for their logo. Florida's NHL team gave the mountain lion love at least.
>>
>>65919134
>Birmingham Chargers™
>all of those literally WWE tier logos
w e w l a d
>>
>>65923966

His wife sure as hell couldn't.
>>
>>65917293
Lots of good ideas, totally failed execution.

Pros:
>Putting teams in criminally under served markets like Las Vegas, Birmingham, and Memphis. Even after TV viewership declined fans in these cities were still going to games.
>Playing in the spring. Moving to the fall was the fatal flaw of the USFL. Every American sport fan knows there is a huge gulf in action after the owl is over.
>Allowing players more freedom of expression. If you were actually around at the time and not a kid (fucking millennials) you would know that excessive celebration was a hot button issue in the NFL at the time.
>Giving talent an option other than the CFL. Gridiron football has no farm system in the US, unlike hockey and baseball. Rod Smart, the famed "He Hate Me", actually went on to play in the NFL along with many other players.

Cons:
>Gave up on TV contracts too easily. While NBC dropped them once ratings dropped, UPN and other networks were interested in showing another season.
>Too similar to the NFL. Like the CFL, there was only a slight difference in rules and not enough to differentiate the league.
>Faddish. Trying to ride the "extreme" or alternative sport wave at the time. And no the x didn't stand for "extreme", it stood for nothing. Mostly to avoid copyright infringement.
>Expecting a brand new league to put up big ratings in it's first year. Initial ratings were high but fell off quickly. Owners got impatient and backed out. Given more time the league probably would have recovered.
>>
>>65918233

Paris Lenon was an XFL player...Jim Druckenmiller and Tommy Maddox....Rashaan Salaam
>>
>>65920621
>Drumpf
>"I don't understand consonant shifts pls fuck my life": The Meme
>>
File: vincewasphone.jpg (33 KB, 610x260) Image search: [Google]
vincewasphone.jpg
33 KB, 610x260
>>65918246
>pro wrestling

SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT DAMMIT! ACHOO!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmhw43ratxA
>>
I blame Gregg "Opie" Hughes.
>>
>>65920674
das birmingham m8
>>
>>65917350
This
>>
>>65920649

Contrary to popular belief, the "X" in XFL did not stand for "extreme", as in "eXtreme Football League". When the league was first organized in 1999, it was originally supposed to stand for "Xtreme Football League"; however, there was already a league in formation at the same time with that name, and so promoters wanted to make sure that everyone knew that the "X" did not actually stand for anything (though McMahon would comment that "if the NFL stood for the 'No Fun League', the XFL will stand for the 'extra fun league'"
>>
>>65917720
American Gladiators is already the greatest sport.
>>
Let me tell you something that DIDN'T go wrong with XFL: that ball

Goddamn the brown ball is boring as fuck.
>>
>>65924719
>That nigger hogging all the As
>>
File: JUST.gif (4 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
JUST.gif
4 MB, 200x150
>>65924693
>tfw you've made a huge mistake
>tfw you've just blown $100M on a stupid idea
>>
File: sharks-choking.jpg (30 KB, 431x331) Image search: [Google]
sharks-choking.jpg
30 KB, 431x331
>>65920737
>>
>>65917293
>marks didn't want to watch football
>football fans didn't want to watch shit football
>fumble coin toss
>see Vince's adventures in owning a bodybuilding league
>no insurance for players
>"XFL Blimp"
>Didn't buy the UFC like Shane wanted them to
>Wrestling announcers commentating real sports
Etc. Etc.
>>
>>65931750
I was watching WWE at the time she was running, and that was when they started to 'PG' everything so it wouldn't make Linda look bad.

Unfortunately for them, there was the 20+ years of programming prior, so all it did was drive people away.
>>
They should have called it the World Football Federation
>>
>>65924699
>Playing in the spring. Moving to the fall was the fatal flaw of the USFL. Every American sport fan knows there is a huge gulf in action after the owl is over.

It's the fact that they played their first game days after the owl that made the initial ratings fall so hard. It's like watching a blockbuster and then going in to watch a daytime soap on a movie screen. The quality is such a step down that people lost the curiosity that made them check it out in the first place. They should have waited until April or May. After the NHL and NBA finished and there are no sports on tv other than boreball.
>>
>>65932135
You can't play football in the summer. The players would die.
>>
>>65932055
They should have called it the Federation of International Football of America
>>
>>65932135
>American
>Using the term boreball
You fucking commie.
I think the mean basedball.
Diss the game during the off season.
It's back now. You need to stop.
>>
>>65932159
>Vince McMahon
>Caring about athletes' health above ratings
>>
Opie and Anthony
>>
Wasn't it because Vince was listening to the wrong people on how to run it? Or rather just had a bunch of yes-men that didn't tell him that shit was wrong
>>
>>65918144
Extraordinary
>>
>>65917293
Literally from the opening game's scramble for the ball and one of the guys involved got hurt. When a player gets injured during your "coin toss" you know the product is shit.
>>
>>65919134
>dem edgy team names
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.