[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do we make NFL overtime better? A touchdown wins the game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 4
File: overtime.jpg (22 KB, 500x240) Image search: [Google]
overtime.jpg
22 KB, 500x240
How do we make NFL overtime better?

A touchdown wins the game is so fucking retarded, it's hard to believe that before that a field goal won the game.

What the NFL needs to do is either make a full quarter, or a 10 minute quarter AT LEAST and have it be fully played out, no automatic wins. It's the only way to make it fair.
>>
>>64974564
The OT is fine as it is. If you can't play D, you lose.
>>
College rules
>>
>>64974564
Give it up Meat Packer. Before the 45th Superb Owl Green Bay probably meant nothing to you.
>>
File: 523.jpg (19 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
523.jpg
19 KB, 350x350
>>
Fuck off Costas
>>
>>64974778
>inb4 FG fest
make teams start at the 35 or 40
>>
Eliminate PAT completely. Two point conversions only
>>
>>64975096
>favre era post-SB
>meant nothing

kok
>>
>keep playing ot as normal
>team scores td or fg on first Drive
>other team gets a chance with ball

It's so goddamn simple.
>>
>>64974564
>win coin flip
>go on 9:50 drive
>kick GW FG

Problem solved
>>
>>64976163
Honestly I don't even think that's good enough. What if you have an OT game vs the teams with #1 and #2 defense? Whoever gets the ball first might lose due to a turnover setting up an easy FG.

Personally I like the idea where no matter when a score occurs, a team gets a chance to tie it again. Once it's tied the cycle begins again.
>>
>>64974564
they should give both teams a chance on offense
>>
>>64976163
So what happens after the first two drives?
>>
Just add another quarter without the golden goal rule. Literally solves everything.
>>
>>64976304
In that case then maybe you go full Belichek and defer the OT kickoff.

>>64976377
If it's tied, they keep playing. To win you should at least stop a drive and score somehow.
>>
>>64976401
I don't know, always forcing a full extra quarter can put that team at a huge disadvantage in their next week game since they'll be exhausted. In the playoffs having a 2nd OT would still be easily possible which means already playing 1.5 games that shortly.
>>
It's fine how it is now, if you can't hold on defense for one drive you deserve to lose.
>>
>>64976163
this desu, not perfect but it's good
>>
ETERNAL FUDGE PACK
>>
>>64976531
Isn't that unfair?
The second team only had a chance to loss or tie, never to win
>>
>>64976163
>team with chance to tie goes for it on fourth down every time because they have to

That's a big advantage for the second team and not fair at all
>>
The OT system is fine, only buttmad packer cucks are complaining.
>>
>>64976645
Then the 2nd team ties it, kick off, get the other team to punt, and then they score if they want to win.
>>
>>64976738
>>64976738
>>64976738

THIS

THIS
THIS
H
I
S
>>
>>64976648
This
Also, why are people so obsessed with forcing both teams to get possession of the ball
As if offense is the only aspect of the game
>>
IT'S PERFECT CAUSE THE PACKERS LOST
>>
>>64976731
>get the other team to punt, and then they score if they want to win.
That's this way basically
You're acting like the team who losses the toss doesn't have a chance to win
>>
>>64974564

You must be a Packers fan
>>
Disable field goals.
>>
File: Animal_House_poster_College.jpg (460 KB, 803x1200) Image search: [Google]
Animal_House_poster_College.jpg
460 KB, 803x1200
>>64974564
>Like it's even a question
>>
Listen up, faggots. Make sure this makes it all the way up to whoever the fuck writes these rules. This is how we make overtime fair.

1. Make sure your team scores more points before overtime begins.

It's flawless. Dubs check 'em.
>>
>cfb rules are literally perfect; more exciting and more fair
>/sp/ literally wants games to be unfair and less exciting just to spite the packers

Vikings fan. Happy as FUCK the fudge packers finally lost, but let's get real for a second folks. You must jest if you insist otherwise. This was the same shit with that Pats game earlier in the season. You all were laughing your asses off but I just sighed. Because I know this is eventually going to catch up on my team.
>>
i've played and watched mostly Hockey, Lacrosse, Field Hockey, and Soccer so I must be a little bias but why not make the OT a sort of Skills competition thing. For example, in Hockey we have a shootout and similarly in Soccer we have the same.

Let's implement a system in the NFL where basically it consists of a round where you kick a fg, both offenses get to run a play in the red-zone with 4 downs, and one kick return (who can get the maximum return).

thoughts?
>>
>just play a full quarter
this is exhausting and would still slightly favor the coin flip winner. plus what if it's still tied, which could be highly likely

>give the other team a chance to respond
as other anons have pointed out, this would then favor the kicking team since the receiving team would have pressure to score

there's not really a better way. just suck it up and play better defense fucking pussies
>>
>>64976882
You must be a fan of penalty kicks
>>
>>64976808
The current way isn't all bad anyway, this idea just eliminates the chance where a team wins the toss and drives down the field because they were lucky enough to win possession.

>>64976648
How is it a big advantage? Teams have to go for it on 4th down to keep the game alive during the last minutes of the game anyway.
>>
>>64976761
I take it you don't actually know any of the rules of nfl football
>>
>>64976959
But yours makes them lucky that they get the third possession
>>
>>64976924
Nobody likes the shootout in hockey though.
>>
>>64976952
>there's not really a better way
College has a better way
If you want to get rid of the automatic field goals fine
But it settles everyone's wants
>>
>>64976547
the whole team will be exhausted for a week because of ~15 minutes extra playing time?
>>
>>64976967
The Packers had a chance to get back possession and fucked it up
End of story
>>
>>64976959
It's a big advantage because the second team always has 4 plays to get a first down.

The first team will likely punt on 4th down since they aren't required to score so they only have 3 downs to get a first down
>>
>>64974564
Like a penalty shootout? If a team score in one possession, the other gets a a chance to score, go on till one team score and the other dont. And TD>FG
>>
>>64977152
Like college?
>>
>>64974564
NCAA cuck detected.

>>64974778
Pure cancer
>>
>>64977179
Why?
>>
>>64974564
Each team puts a single player on the field.

They start at one endzone and who ever gets to the other endzone wins.

Footrace basically.
>>
Touchdown ending it is unfair and puts too much on a coin flip. Put more strategy in it by making a 2pt conversion seal it so teams mus choose between a defensive stop or winning it all on 2 end zone touches in a row.
>>
>>64977280
If touchdowns were how the majority of drives ended, it would be unfair.
>>
>>64977178
my bad, i am ignorant and don't watch college.
>>
>>64977216
its essentially a shootout, which is meme tier shit
>>
>>64977355
It's not one offensive player against a defensive player
>>
home team wins a tie

simple, easy, equal advantage during regular season, and gives appropriate incentive to win home field advantage for the playoffs
>>
>>64977452
As bad as away goals rule
>>
>>64977046
yea, i always wondered about that. is an extra 15 minutes REALLY going to make you tired for a week? HTFU faggots
>>
>>64977064
>>64976987
Guys I think I figured it out.

To get rid off the advantage of having 4 downs to try to tie, how about instead of changing possession, the team that just scored to tie it up gets the ball back right away, and therefore the other team, at the very least gets a shot to tie while being able to go for it on 4th down.

Team A kicks off.
1st possession:Team B scores TD
Team B kicks off.
2nd possession: team A marches down field using 4th down meme magic to score a TD to tie it.

****team B kicks off again****

3rd possession: team A had to drive without meme magic, scores TD
Team A kicks off.
4th possession: using 4 downs, team B scores TD

And so on, etc.
>>
So guys, what would have happened if they completed 3 OTs? The rules are the game ends in a tie, would they have to play another game to decide who goes to the NFCCG?
>>
Remember the Vikings vs Rams OT? Vikings won the coin toss, chose to kick and pick to kick with the heavy wind, D shut them down, Blair kicked 40yd field goal. OT is fine, there's still strategy involved.
>>
Why not just have it so if the first team scores a TD then the 2nd team NEEDS to score a TD AND the 2 point conversion to win. That way both teams would still have a shot and the game can't drag for longer than it needs too. Not too sure how they could handle field goals though.
>>
>>64974564
You could just play defense
>>
Just play the full 15 minutes.
>>
>>64974564
Just like soccer, two 10 or 15 minute halfs. If still tied after that then it becomes a field goal shootout, similar to a penalty shootout in soccer.
>>
But I like it as is. Play defense. It's as simple as that.

As of the beginning of 2014, the majority of games don't even end on a TD, but on a field goal which the other team always has a chance to match if it's on the first drive. Teams that win the toss also win something like "only" 57% of the time. Winning the toss is an advantage and giving both teams a shot would be more fair but still, it's not as significant an advantage as detractors make it out to be.
>>
>>64979449
>sometimes it doesnt suck so theres nothing to fix
shut up
>>
Does anyone have any stats for OT first possession to win ratio?
>>
>>64977820

>Will an extra 15 minutes of being slammed into the ground by giant men REALLY hurt that bad?
>>
>>64979561

somebody posted some bullshit numbers earlier that had hundreds of games when the rule just changed like 6 years ago.
>>
>>64974564
They had 60min of fair, can't get it done in 60min you sacrifice your right to fair
>>
Here is why everyone who thinks something is wrong with overtime is stupid.

>change overtime rules to both teams get the ball at least once
> team A scores TD
> team B scores TD
> team A scores TD
"but but...they got the ball twice and we got it once"

>team A throws INT for TD
> game over
> "but but my defense never got the chance to intercept them for a TD"

you can literally find a way to cry about every possible method unless you always give equal possessions and take away kneeldowns.

Equal possessions will make overtime games a lot longer, increase injuries, and serve no fucking purpose other to stop the twice-a-year crying session that people have when an OT game ends on the first possession.

play.fucking.defense.
>>
>>64974564
It shouldn't have OTs in regular season matches. If ended in draw, so the draw shall be keeped.

In playoffs, OT with 15 minutes and no sudden death rules. If ended in draw, decision by FGs.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.