[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
daily reminder that 1.000 is better than .666
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 12
File: Montana.jpg (74 KB, 1140x712) Image search: [Google]
Montana.jpg
74 KB, 1140x712
daily reminder that
1.000 is better than .666
>>
>it's better for QB's legacy to go 2-14 than to make the Super Bowl and lose
it's this thread again
>>
>>64879496
So Brad Johnson and Joe Flacco are just as good as Montana right?
>>
6 super bowl appearances > 4 super bowl appearances

4wins = 4 wins

Going to more super bowls is more impressive than losing in the nfc championship. Though using that has a only stat is dumb. You got to look at their whole body of work and what they did and what they had to work with it.
>>
>>64879547
>straw fucking man
>>
if brady goes to a 7th superbowl, win lose or draw he'd have to be considered the greatest of all time
>>
File: Super_Bowl_sb9_large.jpg (34 KB, 552x402) Image search: [Google]
Super_Bowl_sb9_large.jpg
34 KB, 552x402
daily reminder that playing in the nfc in the 80s > playing in the afc in the 00s
>>
>>64879663
What strawman? According to this logic, if Brady missed the play offs or went one and done instead of going to the Super Bowl in 07 and 11 it'd make him a better quarterback since he'd be 1.000
>>
>>64879721
Right? its so fucking retarded that 9er fans actually believe this. It really shows how desperately they cling to the past.
>>
File: 1449262725891.jpg (53 KB, 636x529) Image search: [Google]
1449262725891.jpg
53 KB, 636x529
>>64879496
>It's worse to lose in the Owl than in the championship game
>It's worse to lose in the Owl than to go one-and-done in the playoffs
>It's worse to lose in the Owl than to not even make the playoffs
whatever you say bro
>>
Which is the bigger accomplishment?

4 gold medals
4 gold medals and 2 silvers
>>
>>64880448
4 gold medals and 2 silvers
>>
>>64879496
go home Joe
>>
>>64880448

>SB loses are Silver medals

More like

>4 gold medals
>4 gold medals and 2 participation trophies
>>
>>64880594
t. desperate naners "fan"
gee, if only brady had gone 8-8 in 2007 and 2011
then he'd really be up there with the greats, huh?
>>
Brady will win 1 more ring anyway.
>>
>>64880607
I wouldn't be surprised if he kept playing until he got ten of the things.
So five more years after this one.
>>
>all these millenial babbies not remembering that the nfccg was the real super bowl in montana's era

80s skins, bears, giants would literally kill tom brady
>>
>>64880651

The only AFC team to win a Super Bowl during the 80s was the Raiders.

NFC dominated the League from 1981 to 1997. There's much more quote on quote parity in the league now, but I don't know how anyone can say that with a straight face when the AFC sends either Tom Brady, Manning, or Rapistberger to the SB every year.
>>
File: joe-flacco-laughing.jpg (57 KB, 1024x937) Image search: [Google]
joe-flacco-laughing.jpg
57 KB, 1024x937
>>64880730
>Forgetting the elite quarterback
>>
>>64879496
A little different. Joe played when the qb could get touched and his career was shorter. Brady plays flag football so he has more shots

If joe played now he'd go until 40's and at his rate 6 or 7 superb owls not so far fetched. Look at his numbers

Joe was better but different era. Different rules.
>>
>>64880809
lol alright then dude
>>
>>64880846
Tom Brady would not have survived the hits Jim Burt or Leonard Marshall put on Joe. Brady also never had to risk getting sacked by Lawrence Taylor or Reggie White.
>>
>>64880919
aight dude
>>
>>64880919
Tom Brady takes hits pretty well my man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKaE31VgXjU
>>
File: 1449557886210.jpg (4 KB, 189x189) Image search: [Google]
1449557886210.jpg
4 KB, 189x189
>>64880919
>he doesnt remember Brady getting absolutely shit on by the Giants d-line in 2007 yet still putting his team ahead with minutes to go in the 4th

smhtbhfam
>>
>>64879663
not at all

its better to go 0-16 than to make the super bowl and lose thus hurting your 1.000
>>
>>64880846
Dude shut up. Joe actually got hit. Brady doesn't.

Did you start watching the sport in like 2000 you casual ass? Have some respect for history
>>
>>64881007
haha ok man
>>
File: yeah ok.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
yeah ok.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
daily reminder
>>
Won't matter since 5 is greater than 4.

Cap this.
>>
>>64881014
>obviously

Grow up child
>>
>>64881072
got it dude don't worry lol
>>
>>64880809
Threadly reminder that Joe Montana played before the salary cap era and could play on unfairly stacked teams.

What Brady and the Patriots have done since 2001 will never be repeated. The league is designed to prevent continued success and it takes the GOAT coach and GOAT QB to overcome that.
>>
File: Fat-lazy-man-on-sofa.jpg (216 KB, 768x614) Image search: [Google]
Fat-lazy-man-on-sofa.jpg
216 KB, 768x614
>>64881656
>mfw the muh salary cap faggts come out to play
you realize that ALL the teams didn't have a salary cap, so it was still fair?

salary caps aren't really for parity, they're to keep costs in check so teams stay extremely profitable
>>
>>64881704
>everything is fair because we live in a communist nation where everyone has the same amount of money to spend on their football team

bruh. you can't be serious
>>
>>64881753
did you even read my post before you were triggered?
>>
>>64881704
Right, it's definitely fair over in European soccer leagues. Bournemouth and Eibar can easily compete with Manchester City and Real Madrid because nobody has a salary cap.
>>
>>64881704
The Yankees dynasties and 27 rings were due to impeccable drafting and trading. Having infinite money from Steinbrenner and top players all wanting to play for them due to their money and success had nothing to do with it.
>>
>>64881772
your post doesn't acknowledge why the cap prevents richer owners from spending their way to championships like the yankees and the 80's 49ers. You seem to think that sidestepping the argument somehow eliminates it. L2Logic
>>
>>64880919
>Tom Brady would not have survived the hits Jim Burt or Leonard Marshall put on Joe
Why not? Joe survived them, why wouldn't Brady? Just because Brady didn't play in that era doesn't mean he couldn't
>>
Are people really comparing the modern piss easy joke of a conference AFC with the NFC of the 80s?
The pass happy you can't touch the QB NFL of today to the 80s?
If getting to the super bowl and losing held that much weight then Jim Kelly would one of the ultimate elite QBs
>0-2 vs Eli in Super Bowls
LOL
>>
>>64881819
Nah man you obviously don't get it. Every NFL player today is a little bitch compared to the rugged monsters of the 80s.
>>
File: 0.jpg (19 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
19 KB, 480x360
>>64881792
in '78 and '79 the niners went 2-14. in '81 they won the super bowl. so yeah, in spite of the lack of salary cap teams could come from no where. take your soccer ball and go fuck yourself with it.
>>
>>64881833
>Nah man you obviously don't get it. Every NFL player today is a little bitch compared to the rugged monsters of the 80s.
The fact some people actually think that way is the funny part.
>>
>>64881845
>This one example means that what I said is false.
That's not how it works.
>>
>>64881814
>>64881815
>yankees
>counting rings from before 1969

nope

and the point remains-anyone willing to drop $$ was allowed to, ergo, it was fair. you faggots always cry like the niners were the only team allowed to spend while everyone else was tied to a cap.
>>
>>64881704
Do you really think the 49ers woudve been able to keep Montana, Rice, Craig, Lott, etc? Pretty unlikely. And to compound that, the 49ers buried guys on IR
>>
>>64881656

Pre-salary cap era was also pre-free agency era. What this meant was that you could be a terrific 5+ year player on a team and another team offers to pay you $5 million per year while your current team only offers to pay you $250,000 per year.

Unfortunately, you cannot go to the other team and your current team does not have to offer you more than what they already have. You have two choices: play for $250,000/year or hold out, potentially ending your football career. You see, the team that drafted you owns your NFL rights until *they* decide they no longer want you.

Good players only really moved around through trades. The NFL was serious shit then. If there was a player who pissed off a coach/owner, the team would contact the other owners and it would be agreed that the player was never to play football again. His team would then cut him and no one would pick him up.

So, Montana did not have the advantage of buying a championship. If you look at the 49ers' championship years, the key players were all drafted or older players whose original teams traded them away.

The Patriots must be given credit for accomplishing something no one thought would be possible in the free agency era NFL: they are a dynasty. And Brady is a big reason why they are.
>>
>>64881877
So by your logic, a QB can qualify as the GOAT simply by being really good and playing on a team that has the richest sugardaddy to buy elite players. Okay.
>>
>>64881877
How could it be fair if there was only one team outspending everyone? If everybody CAN spend infinitely, yet they all spend only $1M, while one guy decides to spend $20M, that's hardly fair. Maybe at the outset it's fair, but not in the result.
>>
>>64880959
Getting hit by a 220 pound DB (and fully expecting the hit) is very different from getting hit (possibly blindside) by a 300+ pound DL.

Nice try.

The one thing that is missing from Brady's resume is a game like Montana's 1989, week 3 game against the Philadelphia Eagles, a team with a MONSTER pass rush: Reggie White, Jerome Brown, and Clyde Simmons. All were All Pro in their careers. Eric Allen, Wes Hopkins, Izell Jenkins, and Andre Waters were in the secondary.
>>
>>64881886
Ok that's interesting, thanks. So the 49ers did a great job drafting players and created an insanely strong team that they then were able to massively underpay due to the NFL rules at the time.

All this does is make the case for Brady>Montana stronger.
>>
>>64881819
The thing is, Joe didn't survive them. Jim Burt's hit knocked him out the game. It was a very, very bad concussion.

As for Leonard Marshall's hit, it ended Montana's 49ers career as Marshall not only broke Montana's hand (through dirty play) and bruised his sternum, the hit likely caused secondary problems that caused him to be sidelined by injury the entire subsequent season.
>>
>>64881918
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58PrkjRQIdo
>>
>>64881919

The 49ers did not underpay. Bill Walsh drafted well and Eddie DeBartolo also treated the players very well.

Some of the innovations DeBartolo introduced were:

1. Chartered planes to away games.
2. Single occupancy rooms on the road. Other teams at the time doubled up
3. DeBartolo paid players who produced generously.
4. DeBartolo really loved the team and the players. He wasn't just an owner who only showed up when the team won. (He was often the towel boy at end of game.) Consider that many of the long-time players who were good are considered "Eddie's guys" and they still refer to themselves as such.

Most of the other owners at the time were cheaping out. In particular, I remember Bud Adams being too cheap to pay for a good place kicker. The Oilers had Ian Howfield who had difficulties making extra points. LOL. After they fired Howfield, they hired Teddy Garcia who wasn't much better. They had Tony Zendejas (one of the best kickers of his era) before that.
>>
>>64881936
Yeah I actually remember that, it was my first year watching football, but I didn't see that play in particular. I agree Brady's career would likely be shorter as well if he played in those days, but the way that guy put it made it seem like he thought Brady wouldn't have lasted a season, which is untrue obviously
>>
>>64881946
I didn't say Brady couldn't take a sack. Even that sack is nothing compared to the kinds of sacks that occurred prior to the 2000 era.

Back then, defensive players in those situations would wrap up the QB and then fall on the QB. That, today, would be a penalty and the DL who consistently did that kind of thing would be heavily fined and suspended.

See if you can find interview of Deacon Jones and his attitude about playing. I paraphrase what I remember him saying:

"When I was on the field, I hated the other team's quarterback. I wanted to hurt him, knock him out of the game, end his career."

I don't really see that kind of play in today's NFL. As one player recently said, "You don't want to hurt people because so-and-so is a free agent and you never know who might be your teammate."
>>
>>64881979

Notable players that Walsh was responsible for acquiring during the 49ers' championship years:

1. Dwight Hicks (FA pick-up since he did not make the team that draft him). Pro Bowl
2. Ronnie Lott. Drafted. HoF
3. Dwight Clark. Drafted. Pro Bowl
4. Joe Montana. Drafted. HoF
5. Jerry Rice. Drafted. HoF
6. Roger Craig. Drafted. All Pro
7. John Taylor. Drafted. Pro Bowl
8. Charles Haley. HoF
9. Brent Jones. FA (I believe he didn't make the team who drafted him since he was a scab in the 1987 strike season). Pro Bowl
10. Dwaine Board. FA (cut by drafting team). Pro Bowl
11. Tom Rathman. Drafted. No Pro Bowl but he was doggone good player
12. Keena Turner. Drafted. Pro Bowl
13. Bill Romanowski. Drafted. Pro Bowl
14. Wendell Tyler. Trade. Pro Bowl
15. Steve Young. Trade. HoF
16. Harris Barton. Drafted. All Pro
17. Jesse Sapolu. Drafted. Pro Bowl
18. Guy McIntyre. Drafted. Pro Bowl
19. Wesley Walls. Drafted. Pro Bowl (Haha. He didn't do much for the 49ers but he was a 9er killer with the Panthers.)
20. Fred Dean. Trade. HoF

Inherited players. These players were already on the team when Walsh was first brought on as HC/GM. Walsh recognized these guys as worth keeping, not an easy thing since the prior regime was the Joe Thomas era:

1. Randy Cross. Pro Bowl.
2. Fred Quillan. Pro Bowl
3. Keith Fahnhorst. All Pro

Over 10 years, Walsh acquired and developed at least 23 Pro Bowl caliber or better players. (I don't have to go through every roster.) That's about 2 Pro Bowl players per year. That's a very, very good record as a GM and that's a key reason why the 49ers were so dominant in the 1980s.

Free agency and no salary cap had nothing to do with it. When the 49ers won the SB XVI, they had one of the smallest payrolls in the NFL.
>>
>>64881919
>All this does is make the case for Brady>Montana stronger.

No. You're assuming that the 49ers played in an era where all other football teams were owned and run by morons. That was most definitely not the case.

Joe Gibbs and Bill Parcells were in the league and I believe Gibbs is already in the Hall of Fame and Parcells is guaranteed to be in the Hall of Fame if he is not already.

Meanwhile, you still had coaches like Shula and Noll as well as a few others (Don Coryell) who were at least pretty good.

What this means is that while the 49ers can draft well and keep their players, other teams had the same opportunity to do the same.
>>
File: tmp_26528-debartolo-2056868924.jpg (34 KB, 234x212) Image search: [Google]
tmp_26528-debartolo-2056868924.jpg
34 KB, 234x212
>>64879496
Yes sir!
>>
>>64880448
This aint the Olympics boy.
>>
>>64882253
Dude. Impressive stats and analysis.
>>
>tuck rule

montana will always be based
>>
>>64884366
I thought the only ones who still cared about that were salty raiders fans.
>>
>>64881877

Not everyone had the same quantity of $$$.

Ergo, the team with the most $$$ had the advantage.

Joe Montana is good because his team had $$$, Brady is good because he is the GOAT.
>>
>>64881936
Not to mention that those injuries permanently affected Montana's play for the rest of his career.

Brady taking a genuine NFL hit resulted in his 2008 season.
>>
>>64885950
NFL Players made far less money during the 49ers dynasty so salary was never an issue anyway. Bob Walsh made excellent draft picks and was an excellent play maker and caller.
>>
>>64881919
The point is that they can retain talent you fucking idiot. Once you win a superbowl nowadays everyone starts asking for too much money so you go over the cap or start over with shittier/unknown younger guys.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.