[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
St. Louis is going to build a new football stadium funded by
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 151
Thread images: 16
File: Bernie-bad-hair.jpg (54 KB, 289x218) Image search: [Google]
Bernie-bad-hair.jpg
54 KB, 289x218
St. Louis is going to build a new football stadium funded by taxpayer money so the Rams won't move to Los Angeles.

Why is this allowed?
>>
Because money is free and comes from the government

Feel the bern
>>
>>64547035
This. It's a FREE stadium. Only the top 1% will pay for this new program when Bernie gets elected.
>>
>>64547016
gutted missouri school system continuing to pay dividends for the 1%
>>
File: longform-23267-1451428043-9.jpg (24 KB, 440x246) Image search: [Google]
longform-23267-1451428043-9.jpg
24 KB, 440x246
Everything is free.
>>
>everything is free
>no police state i promise
>ill tax the rich more and arrest them if they dont listen
>>
>>64547016
Having a football stadium generates economic activity blablabla FREE MONEY FUCK YOU
>>
non-meme answer: because the NFL (and most other pro sports in the US) is so immensely powerful that billionaire owners can cuck entire major cities in America and demand they build million dollar stadiums for their team to play in, or else they will leave and find another city to build their stadium because everyone is desperate for professional sports in America
>>
>>64552590
The fans are cucks for pro athletes
The politicians are cucks for billionaires and fan voters
>>
I know according to le
>2015
man it doesn't make much sense but honestly if the taxpayers really want the money spent on that, then spend it... It is their money technically.
>>
>>64552623
desu i'd prefer to live in a place without a local team because then you're guaranteed 4 games every sunday
>>
The Stadium funding passed with a VOTE, democracy seems to be a foreign concept to libfags though

Owners have to partially fund a stadium as well as pay rental fees. In some cases, they fund the entire stadium alone, like Ford Field

Stadiums bring tourism and create jobs, but fuck that, lets throw more money at Tyrone even though he never shows up to class anyway and even though education takes up more than a quarter of the federal budget.

Stadiums aren't built every year, this is something that happens maybe once every 20-30 years.

Fuck you

Fuck the kike you posted

TRUMP 2016!
>>
>>64552853
>Stadiums bring tourism and create jobs
lol what a meme that dumbasses like Trump voters believe in.
>>
>>64552927
Yeah, because no one comes in from out of town to go to concerts or sporting events and stadiums surely don't hire staff to work in the stadium. The stadium surely doesn't purchase supplies from major suppliers or anything either.

>libfags being in charge of economics
>>
>>64552623
Honestly, it's actually worth the money from the standpoint of the city if most of the population lives in the metro area rather than the city proper.

Detroit, for instance, will always make back whatever it dumps into arenas by stealing money from people who go downtown to watch the games from their bumfuck suburbs
>>
>>64547016
Because this country is full of retards
>>
>>64553114
>trump fags actually think that sports stadiums actually have positive net ROI

No you're actually retarded. Trump supporters are shown to be dumber and less educated and your post shows.
>>
>>64553114
>libfags
Why do Americans say things like "This is what liberals actually believe" as if they are implying they themselves are not liberally minded?

It's not something to be proud of. It's literally mental retardation to not be liberal.

Being liberal literally means "Not close-minded, not backwards thinking, progressive and open to change" That's its LITERAL definition.

All mathematicians, scientists, inventors, businessmen are liberals. ALL OF THEM. It's a very positive trait/personality/skill set to have. If you have ever supported change for any reason, you are liberal. That includes the world's greatest economists too.

Not sure if this is some epic 4chan meme from /pol/ or if people GENUINELY believe otherwise.
>>
>>64553193
Because even if we both speak English, my Saracen friend, we can still have definitions of words that differ from each other.
>>
>>64547016
>20 bucks per year in taxes to build a new stadium

It's fucking nothing
>>
>>64553209
The only way you can have a different definition is to have a wrong definition. You need more education on the subject.
>>
Packes has the perfect soccer-style administration.

>property of the city
>temporary owners elected by a board of directors and supporters.
>private money for private purposes
>relocation not allowed
>>
>>64553193
Americans are genuinely retarded. Many of them, millions even, have actually bought into the whole Trump meme president thing and they actually believe he has some good ideas.

It's on a par with Kim Kardashian or Katie Price being president/prime minister.
>>
>>64553193
This country has a long tradition of the poor/middle class bending over and willingly letting billionaires ejaculate inside them and if you fight it you're a commie/liberal/sjw/whatever name these uneducated pig farmers make up
>>
>>64553226
Normally yes, but you have to remember that the American political system is askewed to the right as even our mainstream lefty candidates are fairly less-left than their European cousins. Also definitions are fluid and change over time. Liberalism of the enlightenment isn't necessarily the liberalism of the digital age. That said, I'm a democrat.
>>
>build these giant stadiums with massively overpriced seating
>blackout the games for locals when the games don't sell out

Every organization sucks
>>
File: soccernomics.jpg (112 KB, 436x642) Image search: [Google]
soccernomics.jpg
112 KB, 436x642
>Stadiums bring tourism and create jobs

Nah they dont.
pic related has an interesting chapter on it to back that claim up with all sorts of studies and numbers. Don't let the title fool you, it's not only about soccer but much more about economics in sports.
>>
>>64553193
>All mathematicians, scientists, inventors, businessmen are liberals. ALL OF THEM.

LMAO that's a first. We get it, you saw a Neil Degrasse Tyson movie and thought that everyone in science must vote left. I've been working as an electrical engineer for ~5 years now and can assure you that this is simply not the truth. My coworkers and clients are about 50/50 liberal and conservative, just like the rest of society is.

STEM fields are some of the only majors in college where you don't get spoon fed liberal propaganda on the daily. Glad to say that my classes only focused on science and math, and not bullshit like they must teach you on the BBC.
>>
>>64553189
>Less educated
>libfags think wasting thousands of dollars on a gender studies degree means they're intelligent

>>64553193
Yeah,like I'm going to highly regard the words of the country with no gun rights, bans knife ownership(lol) and imports refugees by the thousands.

>>64553288
This coming from idiots who literally want to lick the boot of the state and want everyone else to do it too.
>>
>>64553226
>Your language's use of Liberal is different from my language's use of Liberal so you're wrong!

Do you also complain that the word office is different in meaning in French and English?
>>
>>64553193
>Being liberal literally means "Not close-minded, not backwards thinking, progressive and open to change"

>tfw newspeak is real
>>
>>64553363
I actually have a degree in Econ, and I'm pretty economically conservative. That's why I know how to use words like ROI.

Do you even have a high school degree?
>>
>>64553345
>electrical engineering
>science

Please. Sociology major here, glad I'm going into a real scientific field
>>
>tfw la will never get a team because it's more profitable to bully a bunch of small markets with the thread of moving to la than actually moving to la
>>
>>64553363
>le edgy teen who has never left his shanty town and has no education
both political parties love people like you, uneducated idiots
>>
>>64553379
Stfu
>>
>>64553345
PhD Statistician here so I'm something of a scientist. I'm definitely not a liberal and one of my colleagues is a full-blown Jews did 9/11 white supremacist. You'd be surprised.

Working around cliquey Asians do that to you. If "Open-Minded" means accepting all races and "progressive" means changing shit that doesn't need to be changed then you're pretty wrong
>>
>>64553387
GED actually, since I decided to enlist in the military while I was in high school

After that, I spent 4 years in Electrician school, spent less money, and got a better paying job than most "educated" idiots from college. Not to mention that I took more maths than most college fags who probably didn't take anything past Algebra while studying for their sociology degree.

College degree =/= intelligence
>>
>>64553345
Electrical engineering is not a science. It's applied science.

The same way as plumbing is applied physics or social work is applied psychology.
>>
>>64553456
Not understanding ROI = lack of intelligence
>>
>>64553422
It's funny to see fags like you who can't stand to see anyone with a differing political opinion so you do and say whatever you can to justify your political views to yourself because of your insecurity.
>>
>>64547016

Can anyone give more background on this?

Is St Louis a liberal/conservative place? Do the dems or republicans run the state?
If the Rams were to move would there be a voter backlash?

I honestly can't see why the state would even partially fund a stadium, it seems insane to me.
>>
>>64553441
>doesn't need to be changed
Only according to close-minded fuckheads like yourself who are incapable of seeing the bigger picture.

Literally ANYTHING and EVERYTHING can be improved. You just have to be a little bit smarter than you are at the moment.
>>
>>64553494
St Louis is a liberal city. Missouri is a red (conservative) state, but several of the big cities in the state are liberal.
>>
>>64553483
>needing a degree to know what ROI means

Throwing around acronyms like ROI or EBITDA doesn't make you intelligent. Makes you sound like a moron who got an MBA instead of a real degree.
>>
>>64553494
they do it in england too lad
>>
>>64553224
yeah the problem is the rams will be whining for a new stadium in ten years again and the '"it's fucking nothing" $20 in increased taxes' will have been found out to not have actually been spent on the stadium at all, or at the very least the principal owed
>>
>>64553512
Yes but England is a very different country and this is at a much larger scale to here.

Usually a council will only chip in with a loan, or some subsidies OR in a few cases paying for the stadium, leasing it back but getting use out of it themselves (e.g Man City's council house)
>>
>>64553483
>Get BTFO

>Hurr Durr, since you didn't tell me what a term I used meant, you're stupid, even though it wasn't part of my original question

Return on Investment by the way. I spend my tax returns on blue chip stock. I like that more than 401ks
>>
>>64553494
Tax money funds all stadium pretty much in the US, rich owners threaten to move if theyre not funded by the average Joe and people give in along with politicians who benefit from it
disgusting really
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 618x412) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 618x412
>>64547016
>ITT Buttblasted Libtards
>>
File: 1451459103622.jpg (212 KB, 799x633) Image search: [Google]
1451459103622.jpg
212 KB, 799x633
Reminder that this is what the britbong both believes and wants.
>>
>>64553496
Oh you're literally batshit insane. What is improvement to you? When do we see the fruits of our improvement? The issue is that most things we have no idea of the reaction, especially when it comes to economics but people still choose to play god and predict what will happen and pretend they know with 100% certainty.

We are talking about politics and economics not improving computing power. Shits pretty damn subjective
>>
>>64553533
>OR in a few cases paying for the stadium, leasing it back but getting use out of it themselves (e.g Man City's council house)

thats the case with most nfl stadiums, along with the nfl stumping up some of the build costs
>>
>>64553553
>>
>>64553494
>team brings in large amounts of revenue to city
>fans would go batshit insane if team move
>team threatens to move if they dont get a new stadium
>city must pay for this stadium or lose team

Its essentially extortion
>>
File: image.png (333 KB, 716x647) Image search: [Google]
image.png
333 KB, 716x647
>>64553553
>mfw will always be American in a red state in New England

Feels downright patriotic tbqh
>>
>>64553534
How did you blow me out? You have yet to prove that stadiums provide positive ROI.

>>64553510
Then you should understand that Stadiums don't give u positive ROI Mohammed. Just like your ferraris dont.
>>
>>64553553
It's actually worse than that because the right-wingers who complain about that kind of liberal (and the banning of 'hate speech') also, and without a shred of irony, want to ban everything they don't like too.
>>
>>64553193
you have no right to say that considering that your kind think facts and stats are racist
>>
File: tumblr_no9ggvbgdv1titub2o1_500.png (144 KB, 500x455) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_no9ggvbgdv1titub2o1_500.png
144 KB, 500x455
>the britbong in this thread will likely die from a suicide bombing at some point in his life
>>
>>64553585
>not ironically spelling it Muhammed
Oh yea, you’re a no fun liberal who thinks his Econ degree is impressive
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 1072x736) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 1072x736
>>64553607
>mfw
>>
>>64553585
Yeah, i wasn't talking about your argument my obese friend. Just pointing out you sound like a douche trying to one-up people with acronyms even the office admin girl knows.

>>64553568
Again, i'm talking about scale. Man City's ground was built for the commonwealth games first and essentially acts as a leisure centre for Newton Heath

I very much doubt whatever thunderdome built on a parking lot in the middle of nowhere is going to serve the same social purpose
>>
>>64553559
Especially politics and economics.
>>
>>64553548
You literally don't know what you're talking about.

Owners have to maintain the stadium out of pocket, pay rental fees, and in many cases, partially fund the stadium.

One of the reasons Art Modell moved the Browns to Baltimore was because the Clevland's stadium was an old piece of shit that Modell lost millions having to maintain because the city didn't do shit.
>>
>mfw this situation is getting heated
>mfw we not only get an NFL team finally next month, but our original team at that
suck it shit louis
>>
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5C7CXGxqDmY
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S0cEV12wT5w
>>
>>64553574
I'm pretty sure New England is blue as fuck.
>>
File: really.webm (908 KB, 405x720) Image search: [Google]
really.webm
908 KB, 405x720
>>64553645
>i posted it again mom!
>>
>>64553610
Better understanding of investments than a trump supporter. :^)

Where's you're evidence buddy?

>>64553620
>using the word to describe the concept that I'm trying to convey

Why are you so booty blasted my friend? Did you miss your midday prayer?
>>
>>64553665
Literally the most liberal section of all of the US. There hasn't been a single red state there since the 80's.
>>
>>64553553
>Germany has a law against disparaging the memory of deceased person
Talk about a half-truth. Whilst such laws exist, they only cover defamation so unless you directly accuse them of a crime or something to that extent, you can talk shit about dead people all you like.
>>
The Rams are still moving dude
>>
>>64553645
Oooooh look! I can cherry pick too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sipnm6Idfw
>>
>>64553693
That's still pretty bad.
>>
American cities should really consider start buying franchises instead of feeding these parasites.
>>
>>64553741
Defamation laws exist in the US too, it's the entire reason for the small penis thing in writing
>>
>>64553619
More historical pepes por favor
>>
>>64547016
>Why is this allowed?

Paying for private facilities with public money or the moving teams bit?
>>
>>64553761
>Private facility

The city owns the stadium you fucking idiot.
>>
>>64547016
Its sports. The richest team in baseball.the yankees, asked for and got 450 million to finish their stadium from taxpayers then turned around and a month later spent 450 million on 3 new player contracts.
It happens everywhere.
>>
I don't like the extreme left but it's not as cancerous as the extreme right and 4chan is full of degenerate teens who are nothing but parasites on society who go on and on with their "conservative" views, easily the most cancerous delusional group
>>
>>64553168
This

And I can tell you as a resident of Greater St. Louis that St. Louis itself is less than half a million people, but the metro area is close to 3 million. Which while that isn't Massive for a metro area, but is plenty big for pro teams.

The problem is nobody here has ever cared about football, not the size of the area. Even in the late 90s when the cards were sort of down (by their standards), and the Rams were laying waste to fucking everything, the cardinals were STILL wildly more popular in the are. I hate to use the >le baseball city trope, but it's true here.
>>
File: 1451495897354.jpg (42 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1451495897354.jpg
42 KB, 500x500
>>
>>64553751
Defamation isn't illegal in the criminal sense but someone can sue you in civil court and even then, you can only sue if said defamation was put into writing or was in a public statement and you have to prove it in court. The US doesn't imprison people for slander.
>>
File: 1447541878070.jpg (194 KB, 650x813) Image search: [Google]
1447541878070.jpg
194 KB, 650x813
Is it time for a Mexibro thread?
>>
>>64552781
It's fucking awesome. There's no NFL team anywhere near my house and it's great
>>
>>64553781
>>64553761
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw8n1t9eJhY
>>
>>64553168
Ford Field was funded entirely by the Ford family. Not one cent of taxpayer money was used.

Comerica Park and the other new stadium for the Red Wings is owned and funded for by the city. Hell, Comerica had to pay 66 million just for the naming rights to a stadium they don't own.
>>
>>64553832
if there's one thing i can't stand, it's faggots who think the natives were these super moral group of people and tha white devilz were responsible for everything bad. that's not how it was at all
>>
>>64553882
Go back to europe white man
>>
>>64548393
>Only a $350k house
>>
>>64553882
This desu. When I was a kid I thought it was tragic what happened to American natives, but now I realise that they were a bunch of inbred pagan degenerates who deservedly got rekt.
>>
>>64553882
Well it's fair to say that the whiteman in 'murica was certainly the bigger cunt in the giant cuntfest of post-colonial america
>>
>>64547035
This. For fucks sake it is 2015! Why are we still talkng about this?
>>
>>64553912
By that logic the Nazis were right to invade Russia and the slavs got what they deserved?
>>
>>64547016
Bernie is going to buy weed using taxpayer dollars. Why is this allowed?
>>
>>64553944
He's not Russian, it's some retarded burger on a proxy
>>
>>64553882
I also like it that liberals will criticize European genocide of American Indians and invasion of the new world, while also glorifying the statue of liberty and mass immigration to the United States at the end of the 19th century.
>>
>>64553781
City isn't going to see much revenue, if any at all. This is cronyism at it's finest
>>
>>64553994
That's because they're not really liberals, I swear burgers and their retarded definitions of conservative and liberals
Worst cancer on earth
>>
Why don't you ask Mike Brown, did the same shit to us about a decade and a half ago. It's because the owners can fuck you because they own your team and the city of STL doesn't want that revenue they get to go away.
>>
>>64553114
>Wants the government to spend taxpayer money to build a stadium
>Calls others liberals.
>>
>>64553573
>team brings in large amounts of revenue to city
They actually don't. There isn't a significant economic effect from a new stadium
>>
Why is it always the cities with the worst civic infrastructure that find themselves roped into this kind of thing?
>>
>>64554031
>Stadium funding was put to a vote

>it passed
>>
>>64554034
Because sport teams will rally their fans to vote out any city councilman with the sense to tell the teams to fuck off. Then they get surprised when there are potholes all over the city
>>
Why does this fella always talk about the top 1%'s wealth
>>
>>64554056
Because he's in it and wants it to crumble after he dies
>>
>>64554051
Literally the opposite of true

http://www.bnd.com/sports/nfl/st-louis-rams/article29887603.html
>>
>>64553781
The teams don't own the stadiums? What kind of fucked up way of running a sport is that?
>>
>>64554064
Reminds me of marlins ball park, since the late 90s no one wanted it and after years and years the politicians found a way to go through with it anyway. I hate people who defend that kind of shit and then actually accusse anyone of being liberals
>>
Memphis would have had an NFL team in the 70's if the state of TN had ponied up the money for a stadium. They weren't willing to do so until Nashville was up for expansion.
>>
>>64554077
For the teams that do it, a great piece of business since they don't pay anything.

But it also usually means those teams aren't very successful and are poorly run since they couldn't afford to build the stadium privately
>>
Name something that captivates and entertains the public more than sports. Go ahead, I'll wait.

It's worth public money. The Saints winning a superb owl is more memorable and meaningful in my life than my college degree. I know it doesn't mean that to everybody, but it does for a whole lot of people. Sports are important.
>>
Easy +2 happiness for the cost. Huge help when Pocatello is snowballing and i have to switch to full military production to wipe him out.
>>
>>64554293
This.

Most don't realize that sports franchises become part a community's identity and can be used to foster community spirit. Economic benefits aside, sports are a national past time, something we all indulge and enjoy. That's why many cities live through their franchises, like Oakland
>>
>>64554350
>>64554293
>I have no life
>>
>>64553906
In Manitowac that will get you a mini mansion.
>>
>>64554316
Kek
>>
>>64554540
That may be true (it isn't), but why would you come to argue that point on a mongolian papier mache forum dedicated to sports?

Cleveland fan detected.
>>
>>64554350
Oakland's identity as a community is so far away from what the sports teams are doing though. Why would you use that city as you reference?
>>
>>64553393
Enjoy your shit job market
>>
>>64554293
That's pathetic.

I love watching sports and rooting for my teams, but my own personal achievements are far more important than the sports teams I root for.

Get your priorities straight.
>>
>>64554786
>getting a college degree is difficult, let alone important

College student detected. Wait a couple years faggot.
>>
>>64554816
I got a computer science degree from a well-regarded university five years ago, it was hard as fuck and the effort I put in to get it and not give up is probably my greatest achievement, though not the only thing I'm proud of in my life.

I'm not saying college is the pinnacle of success by any means, I'm saying hat if you don't have personal accomplishments more important to you than the sports teams you root for, reconsider your life.
>>
>implying the new stadium plan is even viable

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-nfl-la-20151230-story.html
>>
>>64548393
ALPHA AS FUCK
>>
>>64553114
Numerous studies have shown that the tax revenue recovered is far less than money spent building the stadium. But I'm not surprised you believe this meme.
>>
>>64553224
>implying that isn't more money than anyone in the favella has
>>
>>64554711
wrap it up boys stem majors confirmed autistic
>>
File: berniesanders4classprez.jpg (92 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
berniesanders4classprez.jpg
92 KB, 720x720
>>64553549
this

>stop licking the boots of the billionaires.
>It would be better to have the government regulates everything for us, even free speech!

God Bernie fags piss me off. Why can't the DNC back a moderate like Jim Webb?
>>
>>64553478
>engineers everywhere getting cucked by science

Feels good actually studying a real science.
>>
>>64555656
>he thinks it mattes who the president is
>>
>>64556465
>He doesn't think it matters who the president is
whew lad
>>
File: skeletor_groupies.jpg (24 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
skeletor_groupies.jpg
24 KB, 600x450
This would bother me a lot less if the NFL paid any taxes whatsoever. We're all Jerry's whores in the end.
>>
>>64555302
>uh oh he raised a good point
>I'll just call him autistic
>damage control
>pack it in boys, that's a wrap
>>
>>64557238
Could you really not tell that he was trolling you? Lmao
>>
>>64552555
Research has found that this is a lie.
>>
>>64553967

Not all countries are as cucked as us, senpai.
>>
So poor people should starve, schools should get less funding and police officers should be layed off so the top 1% can watch football?

Why does a city even need a team? They can watch on television. The idea of "we can only root for a team that's in our city" is obsolete.
>>
>>64553187
/Thread
>>
MLS teams construct your SSS with private money from owners.
>>
>>64553639
>even if shit louis keeps the rams we still have 2 chances to get an NFL team

feels good
>>
>>64553882
>white "people"
>>
>Methsouri
>>
In case any of you yuros didn't know, St. Louis is where Ferguson basically is.
>>
>>64553944
>By that logic the Nazis were right to invade Russia and the slavs got what they deserved?

After what the slavs did to the Germans after WW1, without a doubt. The biggest mistake America made was not letting you faggots starve to death and join the German side of the war.
>>
Too bad the POTUS does not have the power to really go after the NFL and break them up. I would vote for Bernie Sanders since he wants to tax Wall Street, break up big finance institutions that are fucking this country over, and hopefully tax the NFL in the future. I'm all for change in this country in the form of Democratic Socialism.
>>
>>64553226
When people say "fag" here they dont mean cigarettes, they mean you anon.
Thread replies: 151
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.