[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Everyone is trying to catch up to MJ or Kobe but no one evers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5
File: s-l300.jpg (27 KB, 300x246) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
27 KB, 300x246
Everyone is trying to catch up to MJ or Kobe but no one evers says im trynna catch up to Bill Russell. Not 6 not 5 but 10. How is he not the GOAT?
>>
he is the goat. just people care more about muh space jam muh shoes than rings

also people like to discredit eras they werent around to see
>>
>>64460199
Because old sports records like Boston Celtics, Montreal Canadiens and the 20s Yankees are meaningless when you try to compare them to modern, salary cap era records. That is what is impressive about the Blackhawks, Patriots, Cardinals/Giants.
>>
Also this era was tough.Didn't fucking Red used to smoke a cigars during the games?
>>
because he's the walking embodiment of the ring argument being stupid garbage only plebs think
>>
He made Wilt his little bitch
>>
>>64460257
>cardinals

The Cardinals aren't impressive. 2006 and 2011 were both memes. 2006 they won 83 games, 2011 the Rangers pulled off the biggest choke in World Series history.
>>
Because most of his rings came in an era when there were 8 teams in the league and when you only had to beat 2 teams in the play offs.

He was also pedestrian at best on offense and played on a team with like 7 other HoFers. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those Celtics teams had more talent on their roster than the rest of the league put together
>>
>>64460199
>look at me! I won a bunch of rings when there were literally 2 good teams in all of basketball!
>>
>>64460335
They were memes in 2006, but they were elite for like 3 or 4 straight seasons before that. They've been contenders all but about 3 seasons since 2000. That's impressive.
>>
>>64460624
They can't beat the Red Sox
>>
>>64460358
Indonesia please
>>
>>64460358
He also won 2 or 3 as a coach. He's definitely an all time great, but probably wouldn't be in the league with todays talent
>>
>>64460644
They won 2 NL pennants on their way to losing to the Red Sox. 2 pennants alone is more than most franchises can brag about over the last 2 years
>>
He's great and all but his team was stacked and his only competition was Wilt.
>>
>>64460257
Michael Jordan was before the salary cap so I guess LeBron is the indisputable GOAT
>>
>>64460925
First of all, no he was not before the salary cap

Second of all, even if he was Duncan's career > LeBron's career
>>
I propose renaming GOAT to GOHG (greatest of his generation). Because you can't compare him to today's super athletes but you can't say he wasn't great either.
>>
He had 11 nigga not 10,get it right
>>
>>64460335
>cardinals
>meme
let me know when making the nlcs almost every damn year makes you a meme
>>
>>64461576
If I were him I would've asked for the eleventh ring to be big enough to put around my cock. He deserves it.
>>
>>64461604
They haven't won the World Series in non-meme fashion since 1982.
>>
Because that whole bostons celtic team was hall of famers pretty much. Bill Russel is certainly top5 but not number one because he individually wasn't good enough. Wilt and Kareem were individually better and honestly Kareems career is more impressive.

Michael
Kareem
Magic
Bird
Bill Russel

IMO
>>
>>64460925
I take LeBron because I realize that teammates are a thing.
Lebron's Cavs won 19 games after he left. Jordan's bulls won 55 games when he left. Holding Lebron's lack of rings against him is stupid when you consider who he played with.
>>
>>64461685
Meme or no meme, they have two banners signifying the championships they won.

Two more than your team.
>>
> playing on a team of HOFers
> only competition every year was literally Wilt
> pre expansion league
> half the people in the league still had part time jobs during the offseason

Russell was good no doubt and easily one of the GOATs of that era (wilt obviously being the other) but the eternal GOAT? Nah. The league today and the league back then aren't comparable in the slightest
>>
>>64462875
Ok, but using that same argument how is Lebron the goat?

If teammates are a thing, and Lebron was unable to win a championship without HOF teammates, how is he the GOAT?
>>
File: 1448916065764.gif (2 MB, 176x180) Image search: [Google]
1448916065764.gif
2 MB, 176x180
>>64460199
>Bill Russell is the GOAT
>>
Why doesn't Jordan come back as a coach and try to catch Bill?
>>
File: download (2).jpg (7 KB, 192x230) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
7 KB, 192x230
>>64460305
He'd light up on the bench as soon as he thought the game was won.
>>
>>64460199
and the browns won a championship

nobody cares about bygone eras
>>
File: Red-Auerbach-Boston-Celtics.jpg (873 KB, 2635x1892) Image search: [Google]
Red-Auerbach-Boston-Celtics.jpg
873 KB, 2635x1892
>>64461617
hell yeah argentina
>>
>>64463068
>only competition every year was literally Wilt
Irelan plz. Walt bellamy among others were good competition.. pettit. lanier.
>>
File: phil2.jpg (93 KB, 500x305) Image search: [Google]
phil2.jpg
93 KB, 500x305
>>64463287
If he came back as a coach he'd be trying to catch someone else.
>>
>>64462875
he can't will his teams to win. actual GOATs can
>>
>>64464674
Please, how many times did the lakers play the celtics in the ship that generation...
>>
>>64464674
That whole generation was literally Russell's lakers vs either the Lakers or Wilts Warriors.

Absolutely no parity
>>
Because the Lakers and Celtics were literally the only teams competing for championships year after year, so winning 10 ships was way fucking easier. His defense is still HOF but his team was at the right place at the right time.
>>
>>64464678
>that laker California ring
I'm jelly
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.