[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Too many damn swimming and running events
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 1408684317529.png (290 KB, 498x341) Image search: [Google]
1408684317529.png
290 KB, 498x341
Ok, so the Huelympics are coming up, and it got me thinking, why are there so many Swimming and Running events? Do we really need a 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m, etc all the way up to 5000m? Same with the swimming? Like, who cares about the 200m backstroke?

For both running and swimming, there should be a short-, mid-, and long-distance event, a mid-range, technical event, and a marathon event.

So this means:

Running: 100m, 400m, 5000m running, 400m hurdles, and marathon

Swimming: 50m, 200m, 1500m freestyle, 200m individual medley, and 10k open water.

Leave the other events for the world championships of the respective sport.
>>
>>64027367
The guy who wins the 400m generally wins the 200m and 800m too, so they basically get 3 medals for the price of 1.

Phelps got the same medal 8 times and we're supposed to think he's a god.
>>
>>64027425
Exactly. The events should be different enough so that it would be extremely difficult for one guy to get two gold medals.
>>
>>64027367
I agree with this + relays.
>>
>bajillion swimming events that all look the same (and are dominated by the same athletes)
>classic shit like wrestling is about to be cut

ree
>>
>>64027367
pls don't abandon this thread OP
>>
Yes because otherwise Americans wouldn't get any more medals and would start yet another war
>>
On that note what's the point of the triple jump?
Their already is a long jump.
Why not a quadruple jump too? How about a hundruple jump?
>>
Reminder that athletics and wrestling are the original Olympic events and that everything else is contrived.
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 300x444) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 300x444
>>64027972
German bantering about starting wars
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 633x374) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 633x374
>>64028347
Back in the old days they were literally just making shit up to try and create more events, like the standing broad jump and the "plunge for distance" in swimming.

Most of these have been swept aside but a few odd ducks like the triple jump remain. They're sort of like Andorra and Liechtenstein - they have no earthly reason to exist but nobody's gotten around to removing them yet.
>>
>>64028755
The triple jump is funny looking tho, I'd keep it
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.