[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what happened to Bill Simmons after ESPN? Do you think he'll
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: bill simmons.jpg (203 KB, 1000x687) Image search: [Google]
bill simmons.jpg
203 KB, 1000x687
So what happened to Bill Simmons after ESPN? Do you think he'll have the same success he used to have?
>>
>bait
>>
>>63935469
not bait, I don't know much about american TV. I heard he went to HBO but that's it.
>>
>>63935456
He got fired for talking shit about the NFL which is funny because other ESPN 'personalities' did the same thing yesterday about the Patriots refball with no repercussion.

Anyway, he will not succeed unless he manages to recreate Grantland again and surround himself with actual talented people.
>>
>>63935456
He's on HBO. And I doubt it since HBO isn't a basic cable network. Grantland got him a niche and ESPN broke him into the mainstream. Since he decided to bite the hand that fed him in an attempt to maintain his "indie cred" and had such a huge ego that he'd feud with players + coaches as if he was more than a reporter, a lot of people were turned off by his edgy antics. He's an acquired taste and is now on a network that isn't known for sports which will lead to him going back to his roots as a niche guy that thousands circlejerk around and revere as a god while everyone else is indifferent. ESPN is a Disney -owned kingmaker and can turn any "journalist", podcast jock, or anchor into a star by giving them screen time. As soon as ESPN drops them they drop too.
>>
In front of the camera? No. He is too opinionated and negative as fuck. I hardly heard anything positive come out of his white boy mouth

Behind the scenes? Yes. Most definitely. He has a talent for creativity and production so we will see his stuff and if he gets together with good directors it will be quality
>>
>>63935540
>Grantland got him a niche and ESPN broke him into the mainstream
ESPN came way earlier than Grantland what are you smoking
>>
>>63935456
Lol what was this guys name he gave himself as a child when he wanted to be black? Always makes me laugh.
>>
>>63935563
He was "literally who" tier before Grantland
>>
why do people like simmons so much? is it a bunch of bostonfags?

he comes across as such a whiny little bitch.
>>
>>63935636
Are you having a laugh? He was their biggest pull on espn.com since he got the column on page2
>>
>>63935652
He's an awesome writer. His page 2 articles were always a great read. His podcast is entertaining too. He's not afraid of saying it how it is
>>
>>63935652
His early writing was devoid of the whining and smarm. And had the occasional pop culture reference and treated sports with irreverence most of the time. Obviously that changed at some point and he started shoehorning pop culture references into every sentence. He probably just got lazy or something But his shit definitely lost its charm at some point, and then went to the deep end when Grantland came aboutm
>>
>>63935540

>Grantland got him a niche

Grantland no doubt blew him up, but Page 2 was the most visited editorial on ESPN for nearly a decade, with Simmons being a major reason for that. He's had a following for a long time now

>>63935556

This explains his strengths. No doubt there will be some 30for30-esque shit he incorporates into the show
>>
>>63935658
Not really. Hundreds of millions of people watch the NBA, MLB, and NFL. Bill Simmons had a handful of hundred thousands them with his page 2 column and a small fraction more with his podcast. Grantland and getting on tv were how he really blew up.
>>
>>63935745
Wrong, he only got Grantland because of how big he was
>>
>>63935652

if you can ignore the homerism his knowledge on basketball and gambling is pretty fucking top notch. Too blinded by the Pats to be anything other than your average /sp/erglord when it comes to football
>>
>>63935762
They saw the potential. He was a drop in the bucket before the site. Even with the site he was still just one option out of many.
>>
>>63935792
Stop being wrong, it's weird.
>>
>>63935792
>one option out of many

That many more people chose to read than the others. It is a verifiable, research able fact that his articles were among to the most read on their site and a huge pull of target demographics.
>>
>>63935792

>He was a drop in the bucket before the site.

/sp/'s famous revisionist history
>>
>>63935456
Pretty sure he does his own podcast type thing. He'll probably have less commercial success and viewership, but I'm sure he'll still bring in a ton of cash. I'm guessing he's happier working for himself and not a shit network anyways.
>>
He's the Lauren Faust of sports.
>>
>>63935863
He doesn't work for himself though
>>
Reminder that Barnwell is a fucking hack
>>
File: barnwelltraitor.png (22 KB, 874x264) Image search: [Google]
barnwelltraitor.png
22 KB, 874x264
>>63936147

THIS D/E/S/U S/E/N/P/A/I
>>
>>63935456
I listened to his new pod and he was selling underwear

I mean whatever hes making bank but I still thought it was funny.
>>
>>63936147
u mad? He's GOAT tier from the old school of Grantland. He has more football knowledge in his pinky than 99% of the rest of ESPN combined.
>>
>>63935456

No. Disney is a fucking media platform juggernaut.

His documentary stuff will be okay with HBO (tho with more sex scenes).
>>
>>63936328

He's a stat babby that can't form an opinion without looking a page of numbers.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.