[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So now that we are well removed from the game I want to ask some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 16
File: Patriots-Broncos-300x225.jpg (21 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
Patriots-Broncos-300x225.jpg
21 KB, 300x225
So now that we are well removed from the game I want to ask some non-Patriots non-Broncos fans.

What did you think of the officiating in that game. On a scale of 1-10? (1 being fairly called tand 10 being rigged/may as well have been rigged)
>>
Non-Patriots fan =/= Unbiased fan.
>>
There was bullshit reffing and unfair calls but it wasn't some kind of conspiracy against the Patriots. The referees in the NFL are just utter dogshit across the league this year. Just completely and utterly inept on every level and it's ruined games for every single team.
>>
>>63934547
Clots fan here.
2.5 = pretty average IMHO
>>
>>63934547
Calling was abysmal but it went both ways. That holding call near the end of regulation on 3rd down was the key to the Broncos' victory and was legit.
>>
Reffing was not great but there have been plenty of worse officiated games this year. Ref's didn't make one team win or lose. Sometimes calls just don't go a teams way (something Patriot fans don't really know about so when a call goes against them it is the worst officiating ever).
>>
File: refball.jpg (12 KB, 311x162) Image search: [Google]
refball.jpg
12 KB, 311x162
>>63934547
its been terrible all year
>>
The calling was ok in terms of balance.
Any pats fan that doesn't think there were 13 holding penalties not called against the buncos is...
A typical patriots fan
>>
3 or 4. It was pretty bad but the officiating has been god awful all year. Even mainstream media is talking about it so you know its bad. I don't understand how the NFL can allow it.

I'm really just bummed because it would have been cooler to see an undefeated team go down without any controversy involved. It would have been even cooler to see if anyone could have beaten a completely healthy Patriots team but we were robbed of that by injuries.
>>
>>63934780
This.
I hate the pats, but everyone is getting shafted. Normally, it'd be a 5, but this year like a 2. On par with ref strike.
>>
Even if the officials are 100% honest the sport is almost too dictated by shitty calls to be enjoyable. Same with the NBA.
>>
Non biased pat fan(yes it's possible) and it was just an average game. The only game from this weekend that was absolute shit was the 49ers and Cardinals game. Pats fans and fans in general always blame the refs as a coping mechanic. There has been legit games were the team lost only due to refball but this wasn't it and the calls went both ways.
>>
>>63934547
Average which means garbage. The Pats couldn't find a way to beat a 2nd string qb and even with claims of "muh refball" it's still pathetic. Brady looked frazzled as fuck after some calls went against them. That surprised me a bit because he can always keep his composure when it's against other teams but when he gets mad at the refs he crumbles.
>>
>>63934909
this

how about sunday's niners-cards game where it took 15 minutes just to figure out if it was 2nd or 3rd down.

and there was a recent primetime game with a couple equally appalling delays, but i can't recall the details right now. anyone else remember?

baka
>>
the holding call against Chung was horrible but they still had a chance to win the game in ot but they chocked
>>
>>63934981
I think Brady died on the inside once Gronk went down. He looked like he didn't want to be there. I haven't seen him act like that in years.
>>
the refs have been shit

but the death of Lewis, Dola, Edelman, and Gronk was the problem
>>
>>63934988
baka filters to baka? wtf is baka?
>>
It seems like a league problem. The rules need to be altered. It's definitely not just this game.
>>
File: 1442187745245.jpg (37 KB, 358x500) Image search: [Google]
1442187745245.jpg
37 KB, 358x500
>>63935012
imagine only having Chandler and Brandon LaDrop to pass to
>>
File: Hi.png (144 KB, 350x254) Image search: [Google]
Hi.png
144 KB, 350x254
>>63935040
You forgot my boy Keyshawn Martin. What a shit show, Danny can't come back fast enough.
>>
>>63934780
>implying ruin a game isn't rigging
>>
One of the worst refball games in recent memory. Pats really got shafted to the point where you imagine the game to be fixed
>>
It wasn't rigged. Oftentimes one team gets a clear favorable majority of bad calls. Oftentimes, this is the Patriots. That day, coincidentally, it was the Broncos.
>>
>>63934968
So much this. This is why baseball has always been my favorite sport even though it isn't as exciting as fooball and basketball. Other than balls and strikes (and very often the umpire is at least consistent with the strikezone which is the most important part) there isn't really any room for subjective interpretation of the game, most rulings are pretty clear cut and now with replay they rarely miss calls.

Compare this to the NFL and NBA were almost every call is completely up to the discretion of the refs. I'm not saying baseball is perfect, but rarely do I finish watching a baseball game and think my team got cheated whereas I feel that way watching the NFL and NBA all the time
>>
>>63934547
>>63934547

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/189925/nfl-officiating-slump-coincides-with-personnel-turnover
>>
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25396425/report-refs-yanked-from-primetime-game-after-cardinals-49ers-mistakes
>>
>>63937929
Good. They were retarded.
>>
Jest fag here. Gronk's PI is debatable but the holding call on Chung was atrocious. This game was pretty poorly officiated but that's nothing new for this year. 5/10
>>
This is the sport you chose. Officiating is largely subjective. Deal with it or don't watch it.
>>
File: 1379488300557.jpg (24 KB, 208x210) Image search: [Google]
1379488300557.jpg
24 KB, 208x210
>ref makes a special point to tell the stadium that the broncos were being charged with a timeout
>as soon as the players get up the line the clock starts moving
>booth is going 'lolwut'
>comes back after commercial 'they got that one right'
>>
>>63935158
Butthurt Pats fan detected

The game wasn't anything special...just because the Pats lost is the only reason why Pats fans are shitting themselves over it

OK, so the Chung call was terrible...did it decide the game? Did Osweiler not throw a TD on the very next play? Did Brady not get sacked (and almost get sacked a second time) in OT? Did CJ Anderson not break off a,50 yard game winning TD?

blaming the refs is pathetic.
>>
>>63938475
That was the strangest call I have seen in a while
>>
>>63938475
>>63938509
The refs did it correctly by the rulebook. Just because the players don't know the rules doesn't mean they should change the rules
>>
>>63938502
Brock might've had a slightly more difficult time getting a touchdown in a 3rd&16 situation f4m. but it was negated on the tickiest of ticky-tack calls. If that's what's deciding NFL games nowadays its days are numbered.
>>
>>63938380
Seen that call made numerous times. The league said they were going to crack down on holding past the 5 yard line. If you don't want the penalty don't clip the receiver.
>>
>>63938475
It was an extra time out due to injury because the broncos had already used all three that half, and the clock is wound after placement. That rule was put in place to keep defensive players from faking injuries to stop the clock.
>>
>>63934547
>>
The problem with the calls is there's too much going on and many no calls being made. This escalates to many calls later as the dirty play escalates to the point of visibility to all. The no calls are made because the refs don't have 100% coverage of field play. They have a lot of refs on the field, but if you added more, it would be too many people on the field. and you can't hide them off field then because they wouldn't have the vision to cover a play.

There is a fix for all but many wont like it. Give more leverage to what's review-able. It will slow down the game greatly, but that's the only way to stomp out non-calls and mis-calls.
>>
I don't get why people are calling the Chung holding call terrible. It was a little soft maybe but it was well beyond five yards, he reached out and grabbed Thomas by the shoulder pad enough to alter his break. The call was legit.
>>
Just get rid of all penalties
>>
>pats dont get any penalties in the first half
>one in the 3rd on a blatant facemask
>4 penalties in the last 6:02

I watched the film, the pats had be doing the same exact things all game long, pretty brutal for the refs to start calling the game tight at the end
>>
Nfl doesn't rig outcomes I don't think. Maybe some corrupt refs have money on the spreads. But the NFL definitely does rig games for close finishes similar to nba
>>
The officiating was bad but pretty poorly both ways. A couple more bad calls against the pats but there were terrible calls against the broncos. There was an egregious hands to the face by a pats linemen that probably would have stopped the pats from trying it.

The only reason it sounds like the Patriots took 100x more bad calls than the Broncos is that they whine louder
>>
>>63938647
because that play goes uncalled 99% of the time, 100% when its at the end of the game

and it was the latest in a long string of questionable penalties against the pats

and it was on a huge play, and had nothing to do witht he play itself

and the flag came in a very long time after the sack happened
>>
They got caught man. They pushed the envelope too long and got caught for it

I'm a Denver fan but this is just what I saw. That hold in the end zone put a hitch in the route. Fucked the timing.

You got caught and we didnt. Brock turned out to be poised and composed. CJ Anderson cut you up in the snow. We won.

And honestly, our boys were simply playing a cleaner game. Von Miller fell on top of Brady for a roughing flag, and I didn't agree with it. But those are the rules.
>>
>mfw the SI Cover choke hold
>>
>>63939563
except not really, we hear about soft PI calls multiple times in almost every game. hell, talib had one earlier in that game
>>
its funny that pats fans will bitch about refball for the rest of the season, yet there was nothing that could have possibly been called when their shit secondary gave up a 48 yard TD to CJ Anderson

I mean, the pats tied the game and took it to OT, won the kickoff and received, and Brady didnt do shit
>>
>>63939563
>because that play goes uncalled 99% of the time, 100% when its at the end of the game
>refs should ignore penalties at the end of the game
just because refs usually get something wrong doesn't mean they should

>questionable penalties against the pats
>legit call you are mad about because 'they go uncalled 99% of the time'

stay mad
>>
>>63939796
>highly selective enforcement is totally fair

The English public school system fails another child.
>>
>>63939862
They miss most calls. You just got caught
>>
File: image.png (115 KB, 335x375) Image search: [Google]
image.png
115 KB, 335x375
>>63934547
Raiderfan here
It was pure hilarious refball
>>
>>63939901
>actually believing this

lel
>>
i don't really have a problem with the officiating. they're only human. plays make way more mistakes as it is.
>>
>>63934780
>>63934892

basically these

Officiating for that game was bad, but that's unfortunately par for the course this year

Pats got the worse end of it that game.
>>
>>63939987
Its on the video. Flags thrown due to rule infractions. Instead of playing fair, you
tried to get away with holds and pushoffs. I'm sorry, but you lost.
>>
>>63939746
That's not fair saying Brady didn't do shit
He got sacked twice in a row, GOAT qb
>>
>>63940440
you really dont understand the broader implications here do you?

>LETTER OF THE RULE
>PENALTY
>NO NO IT DOESNT MATTER NO
>>
The officiating was like every other fucking game this year. 10-1
>>
>>63939563
> because that play goes uncalled 99% of the time
EVERYBODY ELSE DEFLATES FOOTBALLS, EVERYBODY ELSE SPIES ON TEAMS, WHY CAN'T WE? Pats logic.

Tldr; you said it was a flag and you're mad it got called cus you're a fag
>>
>>63934831
but shouldn't "holding" imply that the person being held in some way was hindered by the holding? It looked to me like he was toched, gently.
And the Gronkowski one I never understood.
>>
>pats "fans" are this delusional

http://www.barstoolsports.com/boston/i-just-want-to-clarify-one-thing-real-quick-the-broncos-didnt-beat-the-patriots-last-night/
>>
File: 1428699011595.jpg (79 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1428699011595.jpg
79 KB, 500x500
full time refs when????????

the NFL franchises are probably worth 50B collectively.... yet they have part time refs

wtf m8
>>
>>63934547

not a fan of either. pats got fucked.
>>
>>63941002
>"it doesnt get called 99% of the time" is the same as "it is a penalty but does not get called 99% of the time"

try harder anon
>>
>past fags dont give 2 shits when refball goes in their favor
>have their collective period when they get even slightly refballed

Titans fan btw.
>>
>>63940823
You disrupted a timing route in the endzone with a hold.
>>
>Constantly run pick plays that border on OPI
>Get called for OPI all the time.

It's the same shit with Seattle's defense. They play physical and aggressive and get called for penalties more often then the rest of the league. When you're strat revolves around running ambiguously legal plays you can't bitch about getting flagged on them sometimes. Be like the Seahawks and fucking deal with it.*

*The exception to this is flat out wrong calls. This doesn't excuse phantom calls.
>>
>>63941795
It's a penalty, it should get called 100% of the time, especially when it's as obvious as Gronk shoving his massive forearm into a defender
>>
>>63944148
well i guess literally every play will have flags then
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 259x194
>>63934547

Buffalo resident here, I thought the Pats got well and truly fucked by the refs for most of the game but especially in the 4th quarter.
>>
If you have been watching football for any length of time, you'll realize it happens all over the place. Sit and talk to any fanbase and they'll all have stories where they were sure that the refs were conspiring against them. As you get older and more familiar with football, you just realize that shitty calls come everywhere.
>>
>>63944375
At worst there were 4 "bad calls". The two I remember probably usually won't be called because they were light, but they weren't terrible calls.
>>
Officiating was objectively garbage. Missing calls and whistlehappy calls are the definition of bad reffing, and that is objectively what happened to the Pats. Don't give a shit about them losing but it plain as fuck to the eye of any unbiased watcher of football.
>>
>>63944387
Some unique insight into sports fandom there my friend. Do you have a blog we could all follow? (I'm sure I speak for fourchannarians as a whole)
>>
File: 1338819116885.gif (2 MB, 333x194) Image search: [Google]
1338819116885.gif
2 MB, 333x194
>>63934547

>1-10
I like your work, OP.
>>
File: btfo.png (24 KB, 633x257) Image search: [Google]
btfo.png
24 KB, 633x257
>>63941469
>>
>>63934547
fuck the patriots no one is going to feel sorry for them. stop doing illegal things then crying like pussy faggots every time you get caught.
>>
gronk should be suspended for committing offensive PI every play and constantly putting players in unnecessary danger
>>
>>63934547
the officiating was of the same quality as every other game this year, just it wasn't to the benefit of the pats this time
>>
>>63944375
just like the bills did last week?
>>
File: FarawayChubbyKakapo.webm (441 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
FarawayChubbyKakapo.webm
441 KB, 480x480
>>63938475
Bill was not a happy camper
>>
Can we troll the hub tonight
>>
>>63934547
I think all year the calling has been terrible, not just for Pats/Bruncs game

I do think it was a tad bit harder to tell on the little specifics (at time of calling) due to snow, but that's really no excuse for refs

Overall shit refs
>>
Pats only had 5 penalties called on them, but 4 came in the 4th quarter and at incredibly hurtful times. The facemask and hands to the face were well called penalties on the Pats, the Gronk one was incidental at best and the Chung "holding" call was complete highway robbery.
The league has made it a point for the refs to look at Gronk every play, he has been called for 4 offensive pass interference penalties all year, literally 4 times more than any other receiver. The Pats lead the league in offensive PI, 9 in total, the next highest team has 4 total. With all the pick and rub plays that every offense uses and that are rarely called it becomes more than coincidental that the Pats are called for offensive PI twice as much as any other team.

Gostkowski has the leg of the gods and gave the Pats a chance in OT, with no linebackers the Pats had no way to stop Anderson, you had Brady throwing to some guy he pulled from the stands to play slot receiver, the "special team" really earned their name today with their fumbles, shit.
I'm just glad Gronk is ok and Collins is coming back.
>>
>>63945868
Brady didn't throw to anybody in OT, he got sacked. It wouldn't have mattered if he had his starters in at that point.
>>
>>63945868
If you're a big guy like Gronk and extend your arms to push off a DB it's much more obvious
>>
>>63945905
I meant mostly on his drive to get in field goal range even with the phantom 4th time out that the Broncos had that still resulted in a runoff of the clock. At least he had a chance in OT even though he blew it.
>>
File: 1422944448315.png (51 KB, 398x409) Image search: [Google]
1422944448315.png
51 KB, 398x409
I don't know if there's an intentional league conspiracy against the Pats but I don't blame people for thinking there is. The refball against the Pats these last couple of games has been absolutely insane, taking a touchdown away from them because the ref blew the whistle by accident? Holy fucking shit.

Despite all this, the patriots lost because they couldn't get shit done. There's definitely a couple of pivotal plays where the refs screwed them but overall they blew a comfortable lead in conditions that suited them better, they have no one but themselves to blame for that loss.
>>
>>63945984
tbf you can't take some kid who only practiced as a punt returner for 4 days and tell him to catch the ball cleanly in snow and wind.
>>
Raiders fag here, Chung was always a total nigger so it was good to see him finally get a flag for his constantly grabbing and pushing of a receiver.

Same with Gronkowski and how he loves to push off defenders for blatant OPI.

It's only that regs are enforcing this shit now so they get flagged. When they get phantom calls or blatant refball called like the Tuck Rule, then you can cry.
>>
>>63946029
Yes. So you step away from it and let it bounce.

And there were bigger problems. He didn't even signal for fair catch with the defender on his ass.

I'm sure belichick puts some of it on himself because muh situational football, but 4 days is more than enough time to learn to not fuck up something totally. Obviously no expects 15 yard returns. Just don't do the one thing you aren't allowed to do....

>does the thing
>>
>>63945905
You realize starters are good at getting open as well as catching the ball?
>>
>>63946275
You realize Brady is the best at getting the ball out fast, and if he didn't even have time to throw it away, he wouldn't have time to throw it to the starters.
>>
>>63946284
He did have time to throw it away. He was waiting for someone to get open. After waiting, no one was open, and pressure was heavy enough that he didn't try to throw it away for fear of an int. He had some time on at least one of those sacks.
>>
>America gets attacked on 9/11
>every one is expected to be extremely PATRIOTIC and shit
>Patriots win the owl for that season

What a fucking coincidence, no one else found it strange when the PATRIOTS won that year?
>>
>>63946440
Pats can't melt steel rams senpai bruh
>>
It's part of the game

If you're rooting for a team, calls against that team seem like bullshit, rather you think they blow a 50/50 call or are missing calls against the opponent or nit picking against your team.

The 49ers just lost a game where a ruffing the passer call was made for hitting the QB in the check while he still held the ball.

The lions lost a game because the ref didn't know a rule

The packers gained 80 yards in penalties against the vikings on 1 fucking drive without a single one of the calls being clear cut

The cowboys lost a game because a ref forgot you can't call a timeout twice in a row.

Pats fans are retarded as fuck if they think 2 iffy penalties being called is some sort of travesty
>>
4-5

this year's officiating has been really questionable
>>
File: nfl-cardinals-49ers.jpg (64 KB, 460x260) Image search: [Google]
nfl-cardinals-49ers.jpg
64 KB, 460x260
On another note what did you think of the officiating of the 49ers-Cardinals game?
>>
>>63939575
Vonn Miller dived into Brady when he was already on the ground, leading with his helmet, and late. That's a personal foul every time no matter who it happens to.
>>
>>63946774
Just as bad probably worse. But SF will be shit in spite of a win over any team
>>
>>63941220
Read the rule and tell me where it says that
>>
There were some really bad calls down the stretch, but I'm ok with it. Anything to beat the Pats.
>>
>>63946440

I was super patriotic as a kid and started rooting for the Pats after that year.
>>
>>63949569
that's pretty sad. you know if that was your team, you'd be calling for the refs head on a stick
>>
>>63946722
>2 iffy penalties being called
yeah, that's it. there were only 2 of them
>>
>>63946180
never followed chung before, but that makes sense. and I'm also on the "glad refs are paying attention to gronk" train
>>
>>63938571
>If that's what's deciding NFL games nowadays its days are numbered.

It doesn't matter. NFL is the most casual of sports and refball wouldn't affect shit. This stuff could happen in the Super Bowl and no one would care after a couple weeks except small percentage of fans like those on /sp/ who will bring it up for 20+ years. Hell, does anyone in the nba care about that one ref who was arrested and said he -literally- rigged a conference finals for the Lakers against the Kings?
>>
>>63949584
Wow congratulations on being a fucking sheep.
>>
These kinds of disagreements with judgement calls happen literally every week. The only reason why were talking about it is because Pats fans are playing the victim card once again. They really are the most cancerous fan base in all of sports. It's a reg season game and you're virtually in the playoffs, get over it. Try being a Seahawks fan during SB XL.. Then you'll know what refballing really is.
>>
This thread is proof of how much you spergs hate the Pats.

>nah this happens every game no big deal whatever

the level of denial you have to be in to think that....rofl
>>
>Dont'a Hightower MCL sprain

THE FUCK?

WHEN DOES IT END?
>>
>>63938530

Yeah, just like the tuck rule, but 10 years later we still have to listen to Raider fans.
>>
>>63945137

>did the refs carry C.J. Anderson 48 yards to the endzone

I just love this so much. It's like validating Rosie Ruiz's marathon win because she managed to run from the subway station to the finish line.
>>
File: broncostop.jpg (274 KB, 1279x2223) Image search: [Google]
broncostop.jpg
274 KB, 1279x2223
>>
File: 1385326377924.png (65 KB, 404x471) Image search: [Google]
1385326377924.png
65 KB, 404x471
Bucs fan here

Patriots got a pretty raw deal officiating wise, but Denver played extremely well while the Pats were floundering due to their injuries.

P.S. We got fucked by the officials last week too.
>>
>>63951319
Pats committed penalties and were caught and punished for it.
>>
>>63952109

Yes my friend, that OPI on Gronkowski was such a reasonable call. I mean, he was within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, an area where you are not allowed to so much as breath on defender, let alone touch him.
>>
>>63941469
>Broncos defender initiates contact

But that's wrong
Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.