[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Something needs to be done about the parity situation in football
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 5
File: salary-cap.png (19 KB, 318x315) Image search: [Google]
salary-cap.png
19 KB, 318x315
Something needs to be done about the parity situation in football right now. It's not fair how only 2-3 teams are able to hoover up all the worlds elite players. If things remain as they are we won't see anyone be able to challenge Barca, Real and Bayern in the CL for a long time.
>>
problem is, agreeing to a financial cap on wages is like nuclear disarment, either everyone agrees to it or no one does

A wage cap of 100k euros a week for any player would be completely fair but clubs would still find a way around it.

Want parity? Follow non league football.
>>
>>63826696
You're just butthurt your team is shit.

Atletico de Madrid reach a Champions League final two seasons ago. Borussia Dortmund three seasons ago.
>>
>>63826724
Well, americans managed to have the best players in multiple sports and parity at the same time. The most capitalistic country in the world at that.
>>
>>63826788
what parity?
Patriots is steamrolling the NFL.
Warriors is steamrolling the NBA.

There is no parity, there is only richfags taking turns.
>>
>>63826788

Even if that were true that's one country.

Every league in Europe could come to an arrangement but then players would just go to China. Even if it was somehow implemented worldwide players would get 'sponsorship' bonuses and behind closed doors shit.
>>
>>63826806
>Patriots is steamrolling the NFL

I see 5 different winners in the last 5 years.

>Warriors is steamrolling the NBA.

4 different winners in the last 5 years.

That's the definition of parity.
>>
>>63826819
All top teams are making too much money to allow this to happen. There would have to be some kind of economical crash to allow us to build it from the ground and create salary cap rules early.
>>
It's too late for that now
>>
Solution is oil sheiks need to buy more teams to increase competition
>>
And the biggest issue is that most big clubs own a shitload of money to the government, so they can still buy players having a large debt
>>
Nice proxy burger king.
>>
>>63826806
brazil you keep making a fool of yourself
>>
Football is a global sport. Salary cap is impossible. I want to see the best teams with the best players. I want to see show. Get your commie shit outta here.
>>
>>63826696
Unfair?
Unfair?
Don't be poor then
>>
>>63826830
Baseball has no salary cap and has had 4 winners in 5 years
>>
>>63826830
NFL is actually better than that, its 7 different winners in the past 7 years, though it is only 9 different in the past 15 years, but only 4 teams have won multiple (Ravens 2, Steelers 2, Giants 2, Pats 4)

hell since the start of the Superbowl era, only 4 teams haven't actually played in the Superbowl, and only 13 (of 32) haven't won it.

as much as some people say the league is being dominated its a short term view, there have been dynasties before and there will be again. we just happen to be living through one
>>
>>63826696
so move to north korea
>>
>>63827231
>real football fans want to see FC Twente and Sevilla get steamrolled every single CL group stage
Id like to see competetive games not blowouts
>>
>>63827231
>I want to see the richest teams with the greediest players
ftfy
>>
>>63827605
so give your money to the shitclubs so they can be better

>noo let's destroy good clubs instead

brilliant logic
>>
Just in my state (one of the smallest in Brazil) there are 50+ professional football teams. Let's work it out xDDDDDDDDDDD
>>
European super league is the only option. I will never happen though.
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 502x530) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 502x530
Don't mind me, just hanging out with my salary caps and parity
>>
>>63827390
baseball actually has a soft cap and a parity-inducing draft.
>>
>>63828224
The Dodgers spent more than double that of the world series champion
Those drafts are actually useless in creating parity
>>
>>63826788
>Well, americans managed to have the best players in multiple sports and parity at the same time. The most capitalistic country in the world at that.

That's a different situation, though. In baseball and basketball, our league is so far ahead of all other leagues that we can enforce those kinds of things with little to no fear of competition (although we're starting to see crap players go to China for big paydays). And literally nobody else cares about football, so we can do what we want. You just can't enforce this stuff for soccer because too many countries care about it.
>>
>>63828224
>baseball actually has a soft cap and a parity-inducing draft.

The MLB draft is a joke though, what matters is the team's development system (local farm teams+scouts in Latin America).
>>
>>63828202
>>63828283
The way MLS does it is they have a salary cap but then each team can get a few "Designated Players" (DPs) which don't have to obey the salary cap.
>>
>>63828296
>The MLB draft is a joke though,
Didn't a team draft Johnny Manziel even though he had already been drafted by the Browns?
>>
>>63828296
It does create parity though. The worst teams get higher draft picks and even if the mlb draft is more of a crapshoot than any other draft, poor teams with multiple high picks in consecutive years can rebuild much more easily (see Astros, cubs, nationals, etc)
>>
>>63827682
>implying i dont go to my local mls teams games
Its happening, rest of the world
>>
>>63828380
Plenty of guys get drafted in two sports. John Elway used the MLB Draft -- he got drafted by the Yankees -- to get drafted by the NFL team he wanted.
>>
>>63828393
Wow you're brainwashed
That's true for American prospects (who all suck now) but Rule 5 makes that a moot point
And free agency
>>
>>63828463
so its a case of get drafted by 2 sports, and whichever one offers you a contract first wins.
providing you don't care which sport you play that is
>>
>>63828493
More like he used it as leverage to not have to go to the Baltimore Colts
Which is why the draft is wrong in the first place
>>
>>63828244
>>63828296
>>63828476
that's bullshit, there's a reason the rays, pirates and royals all had decent runs following years of being shit. There's a reason the yankees farm has been pretty barren for a while. The draft is neither necessary nor sufficient to create parity, but it's played an undeniable role. There are even literal academic econometric studies which confirm this.

and there's a luxury tax that teams like the yankees have put effort into not incurring. You can't honestly argue that there's not a soft cap unless you want to sound like a retard.
>>
>>63826806

>patriots steamrolling nfl
>1 owl win in the last 10 years

You could have shortened your post by just saying "I'm a fucking dumbshit don't listen to me"
>>
>>63828508
Oh he did he basically say, "if I get drafted by the colts I'll just play baseball instead"
>>
File: steven-gerrard-0a.jpg (101 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
steven-gerrard-0a.jpg
101 KB, 1024x768
Liverpool doesn't suck all the good players from the market despite the fact that they can, yet they beat Chelski, Shitty, Manure, Real and Barca almost all the time they play against them.
>>
>>63828527
Is it stressing the importance of getting young players and investing in the prospects?
Because having a draft would still be irrelevant in that aspect
>>
>>63828585
What?

Obviously you have to develop talent you have, and you have to be good at identifying it. But once we assume that most teams in the league are at least capable at assessing talent, then the draft is super important for stacking pieces.

The draft isn't irrelevant. If you honestly think that's the case, then I guess you know something that GM's and statisticians don't. Perhaps you should apply to a GM role, those guys makes lots of money!
>>
>>63828634
You completely missed the point
Acquiring youth is necessary
A league requiring a draft is not
>>
bongs of all people complaining. you guys literally killed football in 92
>>
>salary cap

Fuck off retard.
>>
>>63828672
that's pretty obvious, I don't know why you made that point. The whole point of the thread is that some soccer teams enjoy unequal access to player rights. The draft is a mechanism that allows teams to acquire targeted youth, regardless of infrastructure or bankroll. This improves parity.
>>
>>63826696
>>63826788
>makes football thread
>within 3 posts America is brought up
We know you guys are obsessed with us, but leave us out of it
>>
>>63828735
And veteran and international free agency ruins that "idea"
>>
>>63828687
This.
>>
That fact that some teams think of themselves as international "Brands" is a sign that there's something very wrong with the game.
>>
It will never be implemented in football because of the huge disparity in income between the top and bottom clubs. In the NFL the richest teams post a yearly revenue of ~500m while the poorest are still close to 300m. Meanwhile in La Liga Madrid and Barcelona make around 600m a year, while Eibar only makes around 40m (Messi's salary alone is around 20m).

The salary cap only makes sense if every participating team can reach that cap but in football the cap would have to be so low that top players would have to accept 90% pay cuts, which they would never agree to. The only way to implement it would be to scrap national leagues in favour of a European League
>>
File: Free time is a curse.png (64 KB, 1811x667) Image search: [Google]
Free time is a curse.png
64 KB, 1811x667
Pardon my Autism, but reading all this talk about parity I put together a couple of pictures showing all the Superbowl winners and losers and all the Champs League/European Cup winners and losers in my lifetime (since August 1987)

over that 28 years there have been a number of repeat winners in each, but 14 different Superbowl Winners and 15 Different Champs League winners, with 24 different teams contesting the Superbowl and 23 different teams contesting the Champs League,

so its not that different after all

1/2
>>
File: Freetime is a curse 2.png (74 KB, 2044x505) Image search: [Google]
Freetime is a curse 2.png
74 KB, 2044x505
>>63828908
2/2
>>
What about some kind of soft salary cap (similar to the NBA) where teams can spend as much as they want to retain their own players, but are limited in the amount of wages they can spend in regards to transfers. Make some type of exception for players trained in the same country as well to encourage the retention of home grown talent within leagues.
>>
>>63828843
Soccer teams need to stop being so greedy and share the revenue.
>>
why would you want football to be fair?

life isn't fair so why should football be?
>>
>>63828943
It's pointless. Even if you took half of the money Barca/Real make and spread it evenly across the other 18 teams they'd only get ~30m each which is not nearly enough.

The problem is that in American sports even the smallest teams have a fan base of a decent size that can support the team and generate revenue. Even the Rams, Bucs and Jags draw 60k people to home games every week. In football, only like 7 European teams have an average attendance of over 60k.
>>
>>63829003
What? They could easily have more people, Bournemouth is in the TOP fucking division in your football system, yet only has a 15K if that stadium capacity
>>
>>63829022
its a knock on effect, Dean Court has a capacity of less than 12k, but it would be too expensive to move to a larger stadium or expand the current one,

especially if the board thinks you are going to be relegated back to the championship the next year anyway
>>
>>63829022
>They could easily have more people
Not to the level of having every single team in the league bring in 60k people to the stadium every week. Here, even teams with some great history and dedicate fan bases like Everton, Aston Villa and Sunderland have an average attendance of about 35k and are not selling out every week. The only way to make it worth is European Super League.

>Bournemouth is in the TOP fucking division in your football system, yet only has a 15K if that stadium capacity
Because they're poor as fuck, that's exactly what I'm talking about
>>
>>63828908
>>63828918
I just felt the need to answer you after your autistic work
>>
>>63829136
thanks, I thought when I started there would be a massive difference, but on the face of it there really isn't. as long as you assume that its the same 32 teams qualifying for the group stages of the CL every year
>>
>>63828567

Yup. The colts drafted him anyway though. The GM wanted to trade him for a lot of picks but the owner fucked it up and got less than what he was worth.
>>
>>63828908
>>63828918
top tier autism m8
>>
SO how do the European "Superteams" make all this money? Local TV? Cable TV?
>>
>>63829373
Just like every other sports team in the world
>league broadcasting rights
>champions league broadcasting rights
>ticket sales
>merchandise sales
>player sales
>ads
>sponsorship deals
>>
NFL: 32 teams

Professional teams in Brazil: almost 1000.
>>
>>63828751
that's wrong, and the stats support that. Anecdotally, look at the difficulty that the Dodgers, Yankees and Red Sox have experienced at various points despite their massive payrolls.
>>
>>63831825
Yeah, you should probably get an effective governing body for your country before you attempt one for your sports
>>
>>63829402
What was that fair pay thing that uefa just passed?
>>
>>63832069
It was just meant to reduce the crippling debt some clubs amassed. It was a regulation that prevented clubs from spending more than they earn, the exact numbers were something like "no more than ~30m losses over any 3 year period".
>>
>>63828283
Baseball has no cap and basketball has a softcap.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.