[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: ________ is/are the _________ of [sport/league]
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: Sports Illustrated Confirms.jpg (276 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
Sports Illustrated Confirms.jpg
276 KB, 1600x1067
Ex.

The New England Patriots are the San Antonio Spurs of the NFL, and Tom Brady is the Tim Duncan of the Patriots

>inb4 usual Pats shitposting
>>
>Tim Duncan has never been caught cheating
>>
>>63313250
I see them as more of the late 90s Yankees especially those early 2000s teams. Bill and Brady were like Torre and Jeter.
>>
>>63313285
This
>>
>>63313287
Nah, like Torre and Sheffield. Or some other cheater.
>>
>>63313250
>The New England Patriots are the San Antonio Spurs of the NFL, and Tom Brady is the Tim Duncan of the Patriots

the fuck?
>>
Tim Duncan isn't the GOAT.
>>
The New England Patriots are the New York Yankees of the NFL, and Tom Brady is the Alex Rodriguez of the Patriots
>>
>>63313359
This desu senpai
>>
>>63313250
Tom Brady is like Lance Armstrong.
>>
File: 1446179979572.jpg (48 KB, 600x341) Image search: [Google]
1446179979572.jpg
48 KB, 600x341
>>63313287
The Spurs dynasty has gone on for longer though and almost completely coincides with the Pats'
Those Yankees were über-elite from 1996 to 2003, then it went downhill for few years.
The Pats have missed the playoffs twice in 16 years, one of them being due to Brady missing 99% of the season with injury, the other being a sort of SB hangover year.
The Spurs under Gregg Popovich (18 full seasons) have gone 5-1 in the Finals and never missed the playoffs, the two constants being Popovich and Tim Duncan.

Popovich's win %age as an NBA coach (all with the Spurs) is .685, while Bill with the Pats is .737. Easily the best teams, players and coaches overall in their respective sports, and both with aging superstars who keep producing at all-star levels.

>>63313359
A-Rod's a commentator now senpai
last time I checked Brady was an active QB and not a commentator
>>
>>63313285

Tom Brady has never been caught cheating, as evidence of him devastating all of your asses through the first four games instead of being suspended like an actual cheater.
>>
>>63313548
>tfw A-Rod is more respected in baseball than Brady is in football
>>
Peyton Manning is the LeBron James of the NFL.
>elite as fuck when statpadding vs Jaguars/Bobcats
>choke in the play offs
>every year same excuses about not having enough help
Aaron Rodgers is entering this category as well
>>
>>63313548
they were AL East champs in 04,05,06, wildcard in 07. missing the playoffs in 08 then winning the WS nearly a decade after winning in 2000 just like the Pats this year.

Both went to but lost two championships in between those "droughts" both have had embarrassing upset loses to their rivals (18-1 to Giants, 04 ALCS to Red Soxs)

Both are universally hated teams. Although Yankees have had this since forever while the Patriots since maybe 2005
>>
File: aaron rodgers beta test.webm (2 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
aaron rodgers beta test.webm
2 MB, 640x480
>>63313548
>>63313287
I will say this, though: Brian Cashman was a pretty genius GM, Joe Torre is a top-20 GOAT manager, (when Steinbrenner shut his yap about signing or trading someone) and Bill is GOAT-tier at both. You need a smart FO to build an excellent team, and credit to Bill, Brian, and Joe for their respective jobs.

>>63313617
>A-Rod is more respected in baseball than Brady is in football
have you ever set foot outside of your house?

>>63313623
Agreed. Rodgers has his ring, but until he dominates in stats and in the playoffs/SB he's simply a hybrid of Steve Young's scrambling ability and Peyton's stat-exploding. Still great, not GOAT
>>
>>63313623
>Aaron Rodgers is entering this category as well

except Rodgers is actually good. Rodgers plays the same game as Brady, but at a higher level. He just lacks a offensive corps with merit. Brady has Edelman, Amendola, fucking GRONK, Lewis and Blount. Rodgers has Jordy and Lacy (Cobb is only a compliment to Nelson). The Pats are a much better coached team with greater deph in every category and position (except maybe QB). After sunday night's game with the Broncos, no one can really say the Packers are elite. They've only managed to pose as elite because of Rodgers. Without Matthews in the D, we'd be crushed by low-tier teams instead of only top-tiers. I miss 2011, we were complete back then.
>>
>>63313666
nice deviltrips, checked

while George was still alive, anything except a WS win was a failure, and he willingly controlled his team more than most owners are allowed to do. I can't imagine his reactions after '01, '03 and '04.
It seems like a decade is the longest gap in general between Yankee WS wins, outside of the various dynasties (same with the Cardinals to a lesser extent). The only teams I think can compare with that outside of baseball are the Pittsburgh Steelers, L.A. Lakers (and Celtics to a lesser extent), and Montreal Canadiens.
>>
>>63313814
Gronk is the only truly elite target of those 5. All of the others are either savvy FA signings or scrap heap projects. Until the receiving corps was decimated, you could argue that Aaron had better targets.
Brady does make his targets elite, though, which I haven't seen much of from Aaron (because I don't watch many GB games).
I agree with you on coaching. McCarthy will never reach GOAT-tier status, and Capers is a wreck, as seen in last year's NFCCG.

If 2011 was the 15-win season, you might want to re-examine the defensive part of its "completeness". It's why they lost to the Giants. Rodgers gets all the credit in the world for dragging that awful defense to 15 wins, just like Brady does for dragging a mostly second-string team to the AFCCG to face the "unstoppable" Broncos in 2013.
>>
Can Seppos literally see past their domestic sport competitions?

Jesus straight off the bat there's no way anyone but Seppos and their Keknadian buddis can reply to OP

Could have at least thrown in "Tom Brady is the Serena Williams of the Patriots" or some gay shit
>>
The Chicago Bears are the Cincinnati Reds of the NFL

>Old as fuck
>Keked for decades
>Wishbone C logo
>top-tier shitposters
>really bad this season
>>
>>63314293

Le obligatory Aussie Assclown

Le banturr
>>
>>63314320
not to mention had GOAT-tier teams with '85 Bears and the Big Red Machine years
>>
File: nfl_cam_memeton_checkin_em.jpg (174 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
nfl_cam_memeton_checkin_em.jpg
174 KB, 600x600
The 2015 Carolina Panthers are the 2003 Carolina Panthers of the NFL.

>cardiac cats
>>
obvious one but

Liverpool FC are the Dallas Cowboys of the Premier League
>good in 70s/80s and early 90s
>haven't won shit since then
>keep signing meme coaches and meme players
>keep telling yourself that this is their year before choking or getting completely BTFO
>keep making up ridiculous excuses to why it wasn't their year after all
>>
File: 1433476549794.png (959 KB, 1024x512) Image search: [Google]
1433476549794.png
959 KB, 1024x512
>>63314449
and SB losers in a 4th-quarter shootout? sounds good to me
>>
>>63314353
>assclown

settle down tiger, you don't want to get say anything too insulting
>>
>>63314507
The difference is that this year we have Superman Cam instead of Jake "Miss Every 2-point Conversion" Delhomeboy
>>
>>63314644
>Superman Cam
>215 yards per game
>11 TDs
>8 INTs
>54% completion
Damn, I bet Belichick can't sleep at night thinking about facing such a GOAT QB in the Super Bowl
>>
>>63314644
>that was the highlight of Jake Delhomme's career

>>63314686
the panthers defense must be elite to have their qb have that line halfway through the year
>>
>tom brady is the (A-Rod, Jeter, Duncan, etc) of the Y league
A huge part of the Brady story is that he was picked in the 6th round, all of those other guys were considered for 1st overall. the comparison doesn't really hold up
>>
>>63314733
there's always going to be some differences. Someone used "LeBron is the Peyton Manning of the NFL" which is pretty good (I'd argue LeBron is more John Elway given his championship performance/record).
I can't think of a single analogue where a relative nobody who almost went undrafted to become the GOAT/top-tier GOAT at his position. Feel free to correct me on that, though, as I am nearly asleep at the keyboard here.
>>
>>63314733
brady is the terry bradshaw of the millenial era
>>
>>63313334
>Duncan isn't the GOAT.
He's the GOATPUFF.
>>
>>63315667
Reasonably fair, except Bradshaw called all his offensive plays. Better comparison might be Staubach.
>>
>>63317293
This.

Almost all quarterbacks before the Offensive Coordinator era get overlooked for this reason.
>>
>>63315667
>>63317293
Both Brady and Shingles Man are products of their eras.

Terry had some of the greatest defenses of all-time during his Super Bowl-winning seasons, back when defensive rules were relaxed and some players were just about allowed to get away with murder on the field. Until last year, Tom never had as good a defense after 2004. You can knock him for the Giants SB losses, but 3 appearances and 5 AFCCGs in 10 seasons is nothing to sneeze at.

On the offensive side, again, both Bradshaw and Brady are products of their era. Offensive numbers in the 70s weren't as crazy as today's because it was an entirely different game, until Tarkenton, Montana, Marino, etc. They helped make the NFL a more pass-oriented game it still is today.
Brady was pretty good when he had a great defense around him, as any QB worth his salt should. Once the NFL went full Madden-mode in 2005/06, Brady was off to the races in passing the greats in various offensive categories, with top-tier receivers and TEs like Gronk and Randy Moss.

You can also say that both had their fair share of miracles. Terry had Franco Harris' fumble recovery; Brady had the Carson Palmer Rule game and The Interception, for example.

You can argue how much Belichick "made" Brady into an elite quarterback, but it's stupid and pointless until we find out when some journalist ghostwrites a bio "by Belichick/Brady", because David Halberstam's bio of Belichick only goes back to after the 2004 season.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.