[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So im learning linear algebra( well, trying to)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: index.jpg (4 KB, 275x184) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
4 KB, 275x184
I'm using strang's introduction to linear algebra and this book is extremely hard. like, I've gotten to page 35 in 2 days and I think i understood about half the stuff i read, none of the challenge problems. It doesn't help that there are no solutions for the problem sets...

Is this book supposed to be for first time learners? What did you guys use? Should I just bite the bullet and get through this book or opt for something more learners friendly?
>>
sux
>>
Watch strangs lectures on jewtoob
>>
>>8207843

i'll give it a try, hopefully it's clearer than this textbook
>>
>>8207807
Matrices and Linear Algebra by Schneider and Barker
>>
>>8207807
why is it extremely hard? If you've gone through 35 pages in 2 days it looks p easy imo. Take your time, go slower and try to understand shit before moving on
>>
>>8207864
>Matrices and Linear Algebra by Schneider and Barker
how much does this book cover? would it sufficiently cover the topics in an honors lin algebra course for first year
>>
>>8207871
i spent like 15 hours..lol. some of the questions i have no idea how to solve though, and the worked examples, it just seems like he pulls some info out of his ass. he doesn't give sufficient reasoning for why he came up with an answer.
>>
>>8207872
>would it sufficiently cover the topics in an honors lin algebra course for first year

No, it covers just the bare minimum in matrix algebra class. But if you're struggling with Strang, then an easier book is probably what you need to build intuition in linear algebra - which is why I assume you're reading books over the summer.

A honor level book would be linear algebra done wrong
https://www.math.brown.edu/~treil/papers/LADW/LADW.html
>>
Strang is too easy try Shilov's.
>>
>It doesn't help that there are no solutions for the problem sets
well, thats the fucking point
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.