[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /sci/ I want to teach myself physics. I have no freaking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: Physics-WaLp-tw2011[1].png (744 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Physics-WaLp-tw2011[1].png
744 KB, 1600x1200
Hey /sci/

I want to teach myself physics. I have no freaking idea where to start, I don't remember shit from high school. Math won't be a problem, I just finished my bachelor's in pure math.

Any tips on how to proceed? Thanks
>>
khanacademy.org
>>
>>8206617
Classical mechanics is just symplectic geometry on a cotangent bundle.
Special relativity is just Riemannian geometry with a metric of signature (1,3).
Babby QM is just projective unitary representations of Lie groups and algebras.

Congratulations, now you're ready to start with Folland's "Quantum Field Theory - A Tourist Guide for Mathematicians".
>>
Youtube
>>
>>8206617
start with mechanics and electromagnetism
>>
>>8206654
Omg delete this!!!!
>>
>>8206813
I do not get the 'delete this' meme. It looks really autistic.

Is that the joke? That by using the meme you look like an autist?
>>
>>8206852
Giving you a detailed reply would be autistic. Im only retarded so far

On topic, is it worth going full math before entering physics if the sole goal is understanding? >>8206654 makes it sound like it mostly 'clicks' if you already know that math
>>
>>8206654
Thanks
>>
>>8206865
Math major here so take it with a grain of salt. First, we were made to take general physics I and II and yes, it was easy as fuck. I mean, we had already done calculus 1 and 2 before and my guess is that our calculus course is 10 times as hard as the usual calculus course for physics majors.

That said, I would not waste my time in mathematics if I wanted to do physics. There are topics that you simply will not apply to physics so you will waste your time. Also, your physics education will always teach you the math you need beforehand so it is not like you will ever be confused.
>>
>>8206865
I guess it depends on your personal level of autism. You don't need to, but if you're like me and need to understand the structure of everything at an autistic level of definition and derivation, then yes.
>>
>>8206865
There's a lot more to physics than math and honestly if you already have all the math down, you might find you don't like physics so much since there are a lot of approximations and experimental errors. Some people like math mostly because of how pure the field is and would hate physics. Personally I prefer physics and while it doesn't have the same purity as math, it is (imo) more rewarding and just as beautiful.
>>
>>8206617
>I don't remember shit from high school

Doesn't matter, freshman physics starts from scratch. Just follow the wiki

http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Physics_Textbook_Recommendations
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.