[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /sci/ this is a dumb question, does a magnet lose its magnetism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: FuckingMagnets.png (146 KB, 996x558) Image search: [Google]
FuckingMagnets.png
146 KB, 996x558
Hey /sci/ this is a dumb question, does a magnet lose its magnetism by touching uncharged magnetic objects?

For example, if you were to get a Umagnet and have an endless stream of uncharged magnetic plates being passed separately in a conveyor belt. Would getting said Umagnet and touching each plate (one after another) for an infinite amount of time eventually discharge all of the magnetism the magnet originally had?

I am asking in order to understand if the Umagnet's action of aligning the spinning particles within the uncharged plates is temporary or permanent. In other words, if the alignment of the Umagnet's spinning particles misalign slightly every time it temporarily/permanently aligns the steel plate order to be attracted by it, then the effect on the Umagnet’s loss of magnetic power is permanent. Taking into consideration conservation of energy and entropy, this phenomenon could be considered a loss of efficiency on behalf of the Umagnet; which would actually be pretty neat.

Also, rate my MS Paint skills trying to depict the conveyor belt scenario as best as I can.
>>
Bump
Because fucking magnets how do they work?
>>
>>8204404

You are my hero.
>>
File: Complex Adinkra.jpg (29 KB, 400x222) Image search: [Google]
Complex Adinkra.jpg
29 KB, 400x222
>>
Bump for science
>>
If a infinite stream of black dicks pass rubbing my wife's pussy will i lose my cucktism?
>>
>>8204401
Magnets lose their charge over time, but the magnetism doesnt get "used up." The unpaired electrons randomly change their spin until their is equal polarity in every direction. The metal plates miyht slightly increase this process, but the effect is going to be minute.
>>
I have a quick question
Do metals get magnetic if you rub them on each other? Sounds dumb.

I noticed that when filing metall
Neither the file, vise ,or the workpiece was magnetic but after filing 3hrs or so every thing on my workplace was magnetic.
>>
>>8204604
i know that if you rub a metal against a magnet it gets magnetized too.
>>
>>8204604
I think they were electrostatically charged, like how you rub the carpet floor and your hair on your head stands up. Theres probably a difference in electrical potential between the two metals you filed
>>
>>8204604
if wikipedia is right, a strong magnetic field is caused by the orientation of the electrons (because they are dipolars) so normally they're oriented in random directions but if they're aligned they will generate a strong magnetic field.

Now about your question, when you rub two pieces of regular metal there's no reason why they could align their electrons due to the friction.
>>
File: 56357478373.jpg (207 KB, 800x1036) Image search: [Google]
56357478373.jpg
207 KB, 800x1036
>>8204620
>mfw this dingus doesn't know about static.
>>
>>8204401
no
>>8204620
>>8204466
fuck no nigga. They're called permanent magnets for a reason. There is an energy barrier to making the electrons unaligned again. Magnets don't lose 'charge' for the same reason balls don't spontaneously roll up a hill.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_domain
>>
>>8204620
>electrons (because they are dipolars)
>electrons
>dipolars
>>
>>8204401
No.

Does your magnet lose its magnetism when you stick it to a fridge for decades? No.
>>
>>8204942

But removing that magnet and sticking it on different fridges, would the magnet lose part of its magnetism every time you stick it to a new and different fridge a million times?

If so, then the magnet's magnetism would decay right?
>>
>>8205021
Sticking it to a bunch of different fridges would be similar to it being stuck, consistently, to one fridge for a longer time. Look up the H field.
>>
>>8205046

Thanks mate
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.