[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know I'm behind the times here but what is /sci/'s
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: EM drive.jpg (39 KB, 638x409) Image search: [Google]
EM drive.jpg
39 KB, 638x409
I know I'm behind the times here but what is /sci/'s consensus on the Cannae Drive?
>>
They used to call it the meme drive.
Not sure what's changed.
>>
>>8202701
But is it viable? I'm going to try and build one this week out of boredom.
>>
>>8202696
XXI century Dean Machine
>>
>>8202696
lots of null results and thermal effects.

not looking good.
>>
>>8202748
Yeah, it's wired, but:
2. Thrust was also measured from the 'Null Drive', doesn't that mean the experiment failed?

Lots of commenters jumped on this, assuming incorrectly that this was a control test and that thrust was measured when there was no drive.

In fact, the 'Null Drive' was a modified version of the Cannae Drive, a flying-saucer-shaped device with slots engraved in one face only. The underlying theory is that the slots create a force imbalance in resonating microwaves; the 'Null Drive' was unslotted, but still produced thrust when filled with microwaves. This may challenge the theory -- it is probably no coincidence that Cannae inventor Guido Fetta is patenting a new version which works differently -- but not the results.

The true 'null test' was when a load was used with no resonant cavity, and as expected this produced no thrust:

"Finally, a 50 ohm RF resistive load was used in place of the test article to verify no significant systemic effects that would cause apparent or real torsion pendulum displacements. The RF load was energised twice at an amplifier output power of approximately 28 watts and no significant pendulum arm displacements were observed."

Equally significantly, reversing the orientation of the drive reversed the thrust.

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/10-qs-about-nasa-impossible-drive
>>
Forget about the meme drive

What happened with the Thorium meme?
>>
>>8202752
The fact that there's been multiple claims suggesting the thrust has a preferred frame literally breaks all of physics in the last 100 years.

Until there's some justification for why this would be, I'm dismissing it
>>
I Cannae believe people fall for this meme.
>>
>>8202696
>>8202709
Nope it's over and finished, it's been shown not to work:
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&sl=de&tl=en&u=http://www.golem.de/news/em-drive-der-warp-antrieb-muss-noch-warten-1606-121641.html

TL;DR Chinese team tested it with its own battery and it didn't produce any thrust
>>
>>8202846
So in the end conservation of momentum holds, who would expect that.
>>
>>8202811
upboated!
>>
>>8202846
Is it true?
Is the dream dead?
>>
Now that the dust has settled, can we agree that /sci/ is riddled with shills?

Remember to evoke Kek so they die painfully as a reward for their anti-human trade

And yes the EM drive works
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.