[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thinking, fast and slow
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 20160713_224621.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160713_224621.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
This book is a proof that psychology is a real science and that it's actually useful, and not a meme.

What do you think about it /sci/?
>>
>>8202389
Well, maybe it is because this is a commercial book and not a research paper.

I mean, if I was a psychologist looking to make easy money then all I would have to do is spend some time looking for the 30% of psych research that is not bullshit, compile it into a book for the average reader and then sell that shit.
>>
>>8202389

It's a layman friendly text that uses analogies and doesn't really go into any depth regarding the neuroscience aspect of psychology.

It's a good start.

If you want a similar thing that goes into a bit more detail and also has a narrative, then I’d recommend Memoirs of an Addicted Brain by Marc Lewis.
>>
>>8202389
Interested to hear this as well. I've seen that book gotten recommended dozens of time.

What were the main three aspects did you guys learned from this book?

Thanks
>>
>>8204418
Bump for interest
>>
>>8202389
I read a few pages.

It's garbage.

sage
>>
>>8202429
>30% of psych research that is not bullshit
I'd read that
>>
>>8202389
>psychology
>science
kek
however this book is not even psychology, it's pop pseudosci for morons
>>
File: the book.jpg (157 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
the book.jpg
157 KB, 800x800
usefulness
>>
>>8204418
>>8204439
It's been years since I read it so this is a shitty answer, but just in case you guys wanted a very very brief summary - the main thesis of the book is that the mind has two thinking and decision-making systems: an automatic, fast system, and a slower more effortful system. iirc this is pretty well-established, and based on both experimental and neuroimaging data. The book highlights the cognitive biases that this leads to, and how to reduce them. It's an interesting read.
>>
This is why the nerd is my cultural enemy. Maybe it is trolling here, but I know individuals exists who do dismiss psychology and think everything can be explained by neuroscience.

And it isn't exclusive to psychology. There are other fields in which the nerd corrupts science. When the nerd doesn't see any logic in it, he dismisses it.

Add to that some personal as well as negative experiences with the nerd. The result: my diary is turning into mein kampf, with the nerd as a boogeyman. I generalize, I exaggerate and am starting to dehumanize. It is spooky and it is getting worse.
>>
>>8206384
I kek'd
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.