[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best entry level chemistry work/textbook? Ive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: IMAG2663.jpg (339 KB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG2663.jpg
339 KB, 2688x1520
What's the best entry level chemistry work/textbook?

Ive looked into the Chemistry Workbook for Dummies, which gives assignments and practice as well as covering simple chemistry, but something that covers more of an in-depth scope is appreciated.

(Microbiology and pathology books also accepted for fun)
>>
>>8199305

Lehninger - Principles of Biochemistry

Alerbts, et.al. - Molecular Biology of The Cell
>>
>>8199317
Thanks, I'll check these out
>>
>>8199305
General Chemistry: Principles and Modern Applications - This book covers almost all areas of chemistry, and is used as the main chemistry undergrad book in many universities.

Organic Chemistry: A short course - Nice introductory book to organic chemistry and organic reactions.
>>
>>8199305
Any of the standard gen chem books it fine, but if you want a first book from a physical chem pov try this:
https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Principles-Insight-Peter-Atkins/dp/1429239255

Also at least use Khan for lecture material
>>
>>8199339

Go for Voet and Voet - Principles of Biochemistry

Stryer sucks at explaining biochemistry, Voet and Voet is much better than either that or Lehninger

Note I said PRINCIPLES OF Biochemistry, Voet and Voet have another, much larger book just called Biochemistry, but that's like an encyclopedia full of mostly useless shit, you'd sooner tear your eyes out than learn anything from it
>>
>>8199305
>>8199305
Nivaldo J, Introductory chemistry, 4th editionn up on libgenesis

that's a good intro book for chem
>>
File: 1081360.jpg (24 KB, 272x432) Image search: [Google]
1081360.jpg
24 KB, 272x432
>>8199305
>>
>>8200323
ohh shit, i have that book next to me on my right side, right now, only read through the first 2 chapters though, how did you read through anon?
>>
>>8200323
>>8200356
To clarify how you read through the materia, I am asking how you were able to understand everything in the book because to me it seems as if there aren't enough excersises and problems, did you supplement it with anything else?
>>
>>8200356
>>8200361
read the chapter. look at the problems at the end and find similar on the internet. if you actually read the chapter and understand it to a level you are supposed to, you will know what to google. if you end a chapter and look at the problems and have no idea where to begin, even with a search engine in front of you, re-read that bitch.

Dover books are dense as fuck m8, but they are written by nobel laureates who literally can't be trumped by any modern text.

JP Den Hartog is my fucking homeboy when it comes to dynamics/statics.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.