[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Philosophy of mind thread. Eliminative materialism is the only
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: plato aristoteles.jpg (10 KB, 302x167) Image search: [Google]
plato aristoteles.jpg
10 KB, 302x167
Philosophy of mind thread.
Eliminative materialism is the only thing that makes sense and psychology in general must adapt this principle. Your thoughts?
>>
>>8198868
>>/his/
Philosophy board.
>>
>>8198868
p-zombie pls go
>>
>>8198870
Philosophy of mind = philosophy of science with focus on psychology. I dont think /his/ is the appropriate place to go when discussing science.
>>
>>8198868
Eliminative materialism is to neuroscience what creationism is to evolutionary biology. Anti-scientific denial.
>>
>>8198876
>Anti-scientific denial

Non scientific investigation?
>>
>>8198873
Semantics m8. You're not discussing science, you're discussing philosophy of science. In which case you should go to /his/. I'm not redirecting you out of any ill will, it's just that they (a select few) of the really know their stuff about philosophy, since they either study it or have read actual books about it.

Posting anything about philosphy on here will turn into a circle jerk shitfeest, how philosophy is am no science, its stupid, etc.
>>
>>8198876
>Eliminative materialism
I dont thing thats the case. Eliminative materialism is the position that our everyday ''psychological concepts'' are false. Concepts like ''desire'' or ''seeking for'' are to bad defined and way to broad. The elimitaitve materialist says that all experience and/or behavior of an organism must either be looked at only physicall level, in either biological and/or the context the experience or behavior was being emitted. Neuroscience is totally compatible with this statment.
>>
>>8198884
sure thing. thanks.
>>
>>8198886
So they deny emergent phenomena. That's like wanting to explain politics by looking at atoms. It's not gonna work, because the whole is more than the sum of its parts. Now take your infantile retard philosophy back to >>>/lit/ >>>/x/ >>>/pol/
>>
>>8198892
of course you could explain politics by looking at atoms. if you could handle all that information about all the atoms, who posesses the atoms and figuring out how all the complexity of atoms that makes up the ''voting'' then yes you could predicte that. But that requiers storing of gigantic information we do not have access today, and development of hypotheses about the interaction between large sum of atoms.
>>
File: 1456280178255.jpg (9 KB, 183x275) Image search: [Google]
1456280178255.jpg
9 KB, 183x275
>>8198899
It doesn't work like that because you're not accounting for emergence. For example you can analyze the bit patterns of the attached file as deeply as you want, but you have to actually look a the pic to see that it's a guerilla.
>>
>>8198899
>and development of hypotheses about the interaction between large sum of atoms.

We've had that for the past century and a half, or so. It's called statistical mechanics. The basic gist of it is, that it's unnecessary, and indeed impossible to know the position and velocity of every molecule. You just need to know where some are going to calculate the likely position they're going to end up in.
>>
>>8198905
all I see are brown pixels m8.
>>
>>8198886
Eliminative materialism is fool's gold. It's appealing to those who know nothing about psychology. Like others have said, if you get rid of emergence, you lose too much. You have to look at how behavior and cognition develop and function within an environment to say anything reasonable about them.

Reducing it to brain states is not just silly, it's not good science. Just because you can't observe my thoughts or feelings, does not mean that they do not exist. I can experience and I am influenced by them. The same goes for you.

Shitty philosophy oversteps its bounds into scientific realms where most philosophers should know better than to tread. They don't critique current science. Instead, they take aim at 'folk psychology' and ill-defined concepts like belief.

But we have research showing that cognition about or attitudes towards things are predictive of behavior. And that changing these cognitions can impact behavior, such as in the case of smoking. Saying it's nothing but a brain state is a trite, useless statement.

Cars are nothing but subatomic particles too. Are you going to take yours to an auto shop or to a physicist when it needs repairs?
>>
>>8198868
>Eliminative materialism is the only thing that makes sense
https://www.google.com/search?q=ipse+dixit
>>
>>8198868
>>>/x/
>>
>>8198870
/his/ here
Fuck off, philosophy belongs on /lit/
>>
>>8199112
>> Welcome to /his/ - History & Humanities Anonymous ## Mod Mod Icon 11/01/15(Sun)12:36:48 No.27939 Sticky Closed [Reply]▶
This board is dedicated to the discussion of history and the other humanities such as philosophy, religion, law, classical artwork, archeology, anthropology, ancient languages, etc. Please use /lit/ for discussions of literature.
>>
>>8198940
Ok maybe ive misunderstood the term eliminative materialism, because i thought that just refered to that only physical enteties exist and that non-physical things cannot impact a physical thing.

I totally agree with you about that behavior must be seen in an environmental context, otherwise its like explaining why people play ping pong, without analyzing the ball itself.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.