[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Computer science Vs Economic degree ? What is the pay gap and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: penis.jpg (64 KB, 749x499) Image search: [Google]
penis.jpg
64 KB, 749x499
Computer science Vs Economic degree ?
What is the pay gap and job growth, also the level of intelligence.
>>
>>8197919
If only there were websites specifically built around and researching the viability of various degrees...
>>
>>8197921
I read that, CS degree is becoming like a Law degree, many people with the degree and not enough job
>>
File: 00.png (4 KB, 224x250) Image search: [Google]
00.png
4 KB, 224x250
>>8197919
>intelligence
>Computer science

pick one
>>
>>8197927
mannn i a disagree.. prove it?
>>
>>8197921
This. Also, why do you need to know the 'level of intelligence' of a career? What does that even mean?
>>
File: 1454454175818.jpg (70 KB, 694x801) Image search: [Google]
1454454175818.jpg
70 KB, 694x801
>>8197931
Speak to any CS major for longer than 15 seconds.
>>
>>8197919
if you have the intellect for cs/maths and an interest in science/technology, studying econ will most likely leave you depressed. your peers will be unbearable because, you will increasingly dread your job prospects for the reason alone that you fear that the intellectual isolation will continue and you will in all likelihood want to get a second degree or cop out even earlier and switch.

if you're genuinely interested in econ and you're doing it for that reason, you'll probably be fine.

if it's programming you're after, you'll have to learn that by yourself anyway. cs degrees worth the name don't actually teach you more than, say, the basics of using a programming language and maybe the odd project where you get in touch with a development environment, but it's all rather basic. after all, what can you really accomplish with a course in one semester that doesn't even last 6 months but much less and in which you have to start from 0 for many.
>>
>>8197927
>>8197936
it really depends on your university and what they're teaching, plus where i am you get to choose and can opt out of the web design bs in favor of more interesting things. i would say, a cs degree from a respectable university is not far off in difficulty from a maths degree from the same uni. physics is harder, though, but that was not what the op was asking.

in fact, getting back to that: in that context, econ students are fucking morons. holy shit. holy fucking shit.
>>
>>8197952
I am both cs and econ, IM NO ASS HOLE
>>
>>8197940
good point, thank you!!
>>
>>8197919
do you like programming? CS.
do you want to punch numbers in or manage a company? Econ
>>
I switched majors from economics and finance to Biochemistry and Neuroscience my sohpomoore and I must say. Classes like macroeconomics and such a joke compared to Ochem and University Physics in general. I believe there is a different type of thinking associated with both courses of study, however the abstract thought needed for the sciences requires far more intellectual intuition in my opinion.
>>
>>8197983
yes i like CS and Econ, Idk what the field is like in both, almost finish with my econ bs, and on my CS bs
>>
>>8197987
i have taken the upper level econ class, and they are heavy with math, mirco theory and macro theory also econometric
>>
>>8197970

Not him.

Why in the WORLD do't you try mathematical economy (combination of math, cs and economy/finance) or mathematical finance (same but more finance and no economy)?
These degrees use can get you very deep in the subjects but I recommend at least a masters for job prospects.

PS the money is also good.

It is sounds like the perfect choice for you.
>>
>>8198009
i want to be a Quant, so that is why i am doing both economic and cs...but hmm good point, i will look into it
>>
>>8198028

>implying this isn't the direct route to being a quant
>implying there is something to think about
>>
>>8198046
more precise, my goal is to be a quant.
>>
>>8198048

If you are worrying about other job opportunities if you don't become a quant there many other GOOD options ex. you can be a non-retarded econ/fin.

Just look it up yourself look at the statistics and the curriculum in the degree it's only way to know for sure.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.