[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Weird notation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: wtf.png (310 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
wtf.png
310 KB, 1600x900
Can someone explain what the notation h'(x)->infinity as x->0- means based on this graph?

I would expect it the line to be going straight up if h'(x) is approaching infinity when x approaches 0 from the left?
>>
Is it to the right of 0 x is approaching infinity and to the left of 0 x approaches infinity? Of course, that's it, but have you ever seen it described this way? seems fucking returded
>>
>>8196712
the superscript tells you which direction the limit approaches from

0+ means you're coming in from the right (more positive side)

0- means you're coming in from the left (more negative)
>>
>>8196728
and so h'(x) going to infinity as x goes to 0- means that the graph approaches a vertical line as you approach 0 from the left
>>
>>8196728
I get that, but

lim h(x) = infinity
x->0^-

doesnt make sense based on how the graph looks. as x approaches 0 from the left the limit is = 0
>>
>>8196734
there's a difference between the limit of h(x) and the limit of h'(x)

the limit of h(x) as x goes to 0 from both sides is 0

the limit of h'(x) (the slope) is getting arbitrarily large though, as the slope goes from more horizontal away from 0, to upwards and vertical towards 0
>>
>>8196734
and the graph is bounded between horizontal asymptotes at y=2,-2. Based on the statement i expect the limit to be going to infinity when x approaches 0 from the left or right, but instead x is going infinity (instead of y)
>>
File: Untitled.png (9 KB, 1194x623) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
9 KB, 1194x623
solution guide is wrong/email the instructor
>>
>>8196740
because the slope is always positive?
>>
File: Untitled.png (25 KB, 1194x1000) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
25 KB, 1194x1000
>>8196741
it says positive infinity when you approach 0 from either direction, so you only really know how it behaves near 0 (better look like a vertical line asymptotically)

anywhere else you can draw whatever you want as long as its between -2 and 2
>>
Okay, i got it. the notation still seems weird/unnecessarily confusing, but to i.e. to apply this to the first problem

when x is less than 2 the slop is between 0 and 1, or relatively horizontal, except when x approaches 2, where the slope is 1.

when x is greater than 2, the slope is between -1 and 0, or mostly horizontal with a slight down curve, except when x approaches 2 from the right, where the slope is -1.

ty
>>
>>8196763
what exactly confuses you about the notation?

the +,- superscripts are useful for graphs where the limit is not the same from both sides
>>
>>8196712
Well, it shows that h'(x) is not defined for x = 0. That's already known, though, because h(x) has a sharp turn (not smooth curve) at x = 0. Additionally, as you approach x = 0 from the left, h'(x) -> infinity (the slope of h(x) approaches a straight up and down line at x = 0). You see the same exact thing from the right.
>>
>>8196712
>the line
Lrn2curve
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.