[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have my first official day tomorrow as a PhD student. I am
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: chem phd.gif (627 KB, 500x363) Image search: [Google]
chem phd.gif
627 KB, 500x363
I have my first official day tomorrow as a PhD student. I am starting by doing a lab rotation in a summer internship.

anyone who has done this, what can i expect from my first day? first month? first year? from the experience in general?
>>
This is your last chance to get good sleep for the next several years and you're going to blow it taking questions from memesters? Go to bed idiot.
>>
>>8196639
you're scaring me
>>
>>8196643
Be scared. You picked the hardest class to play as in this shit videogame no one even beta tested.

Get some sleep. Remove 4chan and any other deconstructive webforums from your bookmarks. Now is the time to grind for XP.
>>
>>8196632
>chem phd
>a lab rotation in a summer internship.
topkek

Usually you have to pass your qual to advance to PhD candidacy. Maybe you're at an institution where that isn't the case.
>>
>>8196758
I was accepted into the PhD program, but you're correct. There are steps I need to take to advance to PhD candidacy. This summer program is offered to those accepted into the PhD program to help them get an idea of where they want to work.
>>
entirely depends on the lab you're rotating in

you might be joining a lab that demands everyone be an insane workaholic and do 12+ hour days 7 days a week with your PI hovering over your shoulder every minute of every day and actually insane (ive heard some real bad horror stories about antagonistic, insane PIs)

you might be joining a lab where you have the same work hours as above but your PI isn't insane, just hyperfocused on research above all else

you might be joining a lab where everyone works fairly normal hours, with long days and weekend workdays if your experiments demand it but without a constant expectation of it, and where your PI is supportive and helpful when necessary but not overbearing

you want to find that third kind of lab. it's in nobody's best interest, not yours, not your coworkers', not your PI's, if you burn out in three years because the lab culture is hell, no matter how much you care about the research they're doing

talk to your fellow first years, if your program has any kind of advisor/mentorship program, talk to them, talk to upper level graduate students. find out the problem labs BEFORE you try rotating in them.

also, FUCK anyone who says "yeah sure, do a rotation just to learn a new skill or technique". even if you already have a sure thing lab, a near guarantee of a place in a lab, DO NOT rotate in a lab you have no intention of joining. again, i've heard horror stories of sure-thing spots falling through (sometimes funding, sometimes just a straight up lie) and the only remaining choice being a shitty lab the student never intended to join.

the only person who has your best interest in mind is you.
>>
>>8197341
thx for the advice anon. ill be looking out for number one till i get the lab i want
>>
>>8196632
>start prepping for quals
>realize I am a fucking moron
>we're not gonna make it
>>
>>8196758
PhD student and PhD candidate aren't the same phrase.
>>
>>8199140
dont do this to me anon. we're gonna make it.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.