[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where are they?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3
File: fermi-universe.jpg (252 KB, 651x367) Image search: [Google]
fermi-universe.jpg
252 KB, 651x367
Where are the extraterrestrial civilizations?
>>
>>8195685
Doing their own shit.
>>
>>8195685
>Where are the extraterrestrial civilizations?
Not here or not interested.They would have probably wape us out for resources
>>
Specifically?
>>
very far away from us

source: the universe is really really big
>>
File: uncontacted tribes.jpg (50 KB, 445x270) Image search: [Google]
uncontacted tribes.jpg
50 KB, 445x270
pic related
Imagine that our species is one of these tribes.
>would you want to hop on a plane and try to contact them?(some people were killed trying this btw)
>would you want to bother removing or dealing with them to get the resources in their area when there are resources somewhere else?
>would you want to hand them some of our finest technology?
>would you try teaching them advanced mathematics and science?
>>
>>8195685
Being alone is a social construct.
>>
>>8195728
you have a point there sir
>>
>>8195685
ask Fermi
>>
>>8195728
The tribe isn't sending us interstellar .jpgs with dank "PLEASE RESPOND" memes.
>>
>>8195865
I know right. Why don't they just whip out their cellphones and call up nasa and be like "O SHIT WADDUP?!?"
>>
>>8195692
this
>>
>>8195865
i mean even then, you'd have to make sure that the "please respond memes" are back by friendly intentions and not a trap.
>>
What if there is a civilization directly behind the core of our galaxy?
>>
>>8195685
Really fuckin' far away, in all probability some of them rose to our level or greater and have since then gone extinct due to various causes.
>>
>>8195919
Wouldn't we see them because of gravitational lensing?
>>
>>8195998
Gravity is a social construct.
>>
Sheer distance prevents it. If our galaxy was the size of a football field, earth's radio bubble would only be about 6" in diameter. That's how undetectable (and insignificant) we are.
>>
>>8196005
Whats the signal to noise ratio on that bubble?
>>
>>8195998
Doesn't work over such short distances for such low masses. You need galactic masses over intergalactic distances.
>>
>>8195919
Not sure but I believe the solar system does orbit the center our galaxy, so ifi it's orbit is slower than the object that's behind the core we should be able to see it. Same way how we know how there are no hidden world behind our Sun.
>>
>>8195685
If there's a more technologically advanced civ earth out there and we haven't been visited by them so far, this means that we are of no importance to them, and they will only come here once they detect a potential threat coming from this planet. By my stimations this civ is about 6.000-12.000 years more advanced than the average human.

I'm expecting humans will have to advance about 4.000-6.000 years to defeat machines by means of gathering knowledge and attaining control of [math]ki[/math]. Which will happen as far as I'm concerned, but this will also make these "elite" aliens perplexed.

All of this will happen within the next years. Now we may not be able to save the planet after all is said and done, but we should definitely be able to ensure the survival of some.
>>
>>8195685
most likely answer is that they are out there, interestellar travel is possible but kind of hard.

ftl isn't possible (not even with black holes, sorry, but math just says we would create closed timelike curves that way which isn't possible or it would break the universe), but crossing light years of distance is still possible in a much shorter time than a year because of time dilation and space stretching as long as we find a way to accelerate vessels to that level without stuff breaking.

so if we go a really long time into the future we'll probably either send out generation ships ourselves or near-light speed vessels which run into other civs eventually, but it's just gonna take a long ass time.

why hasn't it happened yet you ask? even though the universe is so old? actually it's not that old. its entirely possible we (and other emerging civs) are part of the first wave of intelligences.
>>
>>8197756
if you think about it, slower than light speed ftl travel is only a big deal to us because our lives are so fucking short compared to the time you need to reach another star even with something like 20% light speed.

but if we go bonkers with technology and become biologically immortal going on a trip to another star system for 50 years or something would probably be much less of a big deal.
>>
>>8195692
/thread/ maggots
>>
>>8197762
Yeah this is an extremely key point and why I think we will eventually be interstellar.
>>
>>8195728
well someone obviously did
>>
>>8195685
The interstellar ones probably have some kind of tech that prevents primitive beings like us from finding their existence because why would a human want an ant to be aware of their presence rather than step over the oblivious ant. They are probably looking at right now using technology we cant comprehend maybe one is your room observing you. Who knows how long they could have been observing us maybe they were watching us before humans existed when we still walking apes 4 million years ago and then they came to us millenia ago and we called them gods.
>>
>>8195728
>some people were killed trying this btw
Interstellar aliens would have technology to prevents violent impulses in primitive lifeforms AKA humans so it would be impossible for us to ever attack them at all. Its a more advanced version of animal sedation.
>>
>>8197756
>its entirely possible we (and other emerging civs) are part of the first wave of intelligences.
Earth is only about 4 billion years old correct? If the universe if 13 billion years old and is bigger than we can imagine, wouldn't that imply a high probability that there are many civilizations that are millions of years ahead of us?
>>
>>8195905
And I personally think every "Please respond!" message we ever receive should be considered a trap. When Earthling geniuses tend to agree First Contact would likely result in our deaths at this point in time, I feel we should always consider ourselves a few million years behind the pack until we are absolutely forced to learn otherwise. No alien society would come begging for visitors from the void unless they're weeding out upcoming competition.
>>
>>8195919
>What if there is a civilization directly behind the core of our galaxy?
What if there's a civilization orbiting each and every star in the galaxy?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox#Humans_are_not_listening_properly
>with a radio telescope as sensitive as the Arecibo Observatory, Earth's television and radio broadcasts would only be detectable at distances up to 0.3 light-years, less than 1/10 the distance to the nearest star.
...we wouldn't even notice a thing
>>
>>8195865
Tribes are a social construct.
>>
>>8195685
>implying intergalactic travel is easy, practical, and possible for living beings
>implying intergalactic communication is just as easy
>>
>>8198466
You assume much and know little for fact.
>>
>>8198479

You're making the assumption that if there is sentient life on Earth, there MUST be life somewhere else. The probability of organic matter arising, evolve into a primitive organism, and that primitive organism not go extinct and survive until it becomes a sentient being could very well exceed the age of the universe. I recall Richard Dawkins played with these numbers in the Blind Watchmaker and they were incomprehensibly huge.
>>
Probably nowhere.

Intelligent life probably exists in the form of something not-developed. Like a colony of slightly more developed ants.

That a civilization exists and it fits our norm of civilization and society and has comparable features is practically impossible.
>>
File: Raechel_text.jpg (24 KB, 512x208) Image search: [Google]
Raechel_text.jpg
24 KB, 512x208
Raechel's Eyes
>>
>>8195728
It can be even more smaller than this, like an ant colony in the hearth of the jungle.
>>
>>8195693
There is nothing special on Earth what cannot be found elsewhere.
>>
In the 5th dimension
>>
I think that they reach singularity pretty fast and then just aren't interested in contacting us.

The ones that are roughly around our level of development are too far away.

"Doing their own shit." sums it up pretty well though.
>>
We already have proof of aliens. Look up Tabby's Star.
>>
>>8198466
you missed the point
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.