[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has there been any psychological study on music with relation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 320x405) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 320x405
Has there been any psychological study on music with relation to cognitive abilities while one learns?

In short, do you feel like learning but you learn nothing when you work with music on?
>>
>>8194987

Yes, anon.
>>
>>8194987
Depends on my frame of mind. Because human logic is largely binary, but can recognize the absence of either state, one of three things happens.
-The music adds to what I'm doing and directs thought accordingly, or creates such that the logical framework I'm forming in working memory, or whatever region, is readily tied and integrated with already existing frameworks in long term storage. It gets sorted better later, and is more fluidly retained.
-The music becomes background noise. It doesn't seems to harm nor help, as you're already in a zone of sorts. Only consciously focusing on it makes it audible again, otherwise it is ignored. (NULL)
-The music is just a bunch of noise, clutter, and needs to stop. This is much more common if it's music you're not in control of, even if you like it. It's all about perceived control of the sound, just as your nails on a chalkboard are significantly less awful than someone else's.

What you're really getting at is types of music, and if there are certain things that broadly apply over diverse populations. I don't know. Relaxing and centering music probably helps, but where music brings someone is going to vary.
>>
>>8194987
Bump
>>
Learning is a social construct.
>>
>>8194987
Everytime I think music is helping I realize I'm deluding myself because it just helps me with not being able to keep track of everything that I need to think about in my mind
>>
>>8194987
Don't do it. State dependent learning.
>>
>>8194987
There have been some studies, that show performance improves by a small margin, while listening to Mozart. promptly dubbed the Mozart effect(look it up). Do keep in mind that it's nothing permanent, and is only while listening to it. So I guess you could listen to Mozart when trying to solve an equation.

Also, there have been some studies showing that silence is the best thing while learning, and classical music being on the second place. So it's best to be in a quite room while trying to absorb a huge amount of information while learning, or if you're in a public place, you could put on some classical music.
>>
>>8197929
>falling for the classical music shill
>>
>>8198998
>>8197929
Yep I remember this it was discredited if I remember correctly.
>>
You can listen to mozart while you study if and only if:

>You write equations on glass windows
>You wear sunglasses indoors
>You avoid gluten
>You write your answers in pencil
>You are a 16 year old girl studying highschool math
>You are a biology major
>You chew on the tip of your pen while thinking
>You only listen to lossy audio with ipod earbuds

Enjoy
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.