[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it possible to forget things or unsee something? Wouldn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: Memory.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Memory.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
Why is it possible to forget things or unsee something?

Wouldn't it be neat to be able to forget a movie/video game/book and be able to read it for the first time again?
>>
>what is amnesia

Frying pan. Apply directly to the forehead!
>>
>>8193297
Impossible* damn it
>>
>>8193299
But I only wish to forget specific things
>>
>>8193308
Very small frying pan to the correct synapses
>>
>>8193394
Wouldn't that need to be small enough to cook human egg cells on?
>>
???
Look at a deck of cards.
Try to memorize the order by just glancing at each card for a second.
See if you remember the order next week.
>>
>>8193399
Clearly I meant something more significant
>>
>>8193297
Some memories go away with excrements. You can recover them but its very unlikely unless you have obtained enlightenment. In this case you can replace them.
>>
>>8193420
Correction: dont eat/drink your excrements kids. its not going to make you remember things. Just so you know.
>>
its like trying to delete an entry from
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloom_filter
you would also forget parts of everything tangentially related to that memory
>>
>>8193297
> impossible to forget things

anyone who knows anything about neuroscience will tell you that's a retarded comment
>>
>>8193297
I imagine it like a computer, even if you delete a file (forget) it is still on the harddrive if you use certain ways of retrieving it (dreams, psychotherapie,etc...). But if the harddrive gets damaged in anay way (frying pan) or the space is needed to be overwritten for new information you lose what you have known.

The forgetting part is just a filter in your brain to not save every file on the computer as it would get clustered as fuck. You don't save everything you do with a videorecorder, keylogger, browsercache, every app installed since first time. It would be annoying as fuck to look something up as you wouldn't even have time to give the files names to revisit them; the processor would only work to gather information.

Just think of every clockticking you ever heard would have to be remembered, your head would only be filled with ticks

>TL;DR: your brain needs to forget stuff to make it easier for you to remember important things
>>
I believe there were some experiments with animals on a serum that would render the brains ability to generate memories useless.

Apparently the brain rewrites memories when you think them so if you took this serum and thought of something you'd forget it.

But don't quote me on that, I'm not an expert and I can't remmber where I heard about this
>>
>>8194136

>did i take the serum yet?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.