[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: dilbert.gif (16 KB, 600x217) Image search: [Google]
dilbert.gif
16 KB, 600x217
I'm finishing my master's in Computer Science, specializing in AI and algorithms. Even though I'm doing the career I wanted since little and I'm loving it, for some reason, I think this shit is useless and want to do some more useful, in my opinion, like chemistry or physics, since I like both of them, but I don't want to do another careers since I don't have money for that.

What you would do?
>>
>>8192363
What would Jesus do?
>>
>>8192368
Probably get himself crucified
>>
>>8192394
Then you should do that.
>>
>>8192363
join the NSA and make bank

do physics on the side for fun and if I'm good enough transfer to a government laboratory.
>>
>>8192363
what do you mean by useful? research in AI is pretty big with tons of applications nowadays
>>
>>8192428
It just doesn't feel right. I mean, I did some projects in some courses, like pattern recognition and evolutionary algorithms and I liked it, but I just feel that that's not what I want.
>>
File: iq-by-college-major-gender.png (66 KB, 741x643) Image search: [Google]
iq-by-college-major-gender.png
66 KB, 741x643
>>8192363
It never feels right, OP. I am the version of you that went, independently of my "computer science" dreams, for Physics. I can write a book why Physics is great, the best, how it contains all others including math, philosophy, yet I figured that simply at the moment you learn something, you have to learn something else. Even when you learn something useful, you feel like a fucking plebeian fixing his toilet stuck to a blue collar labor.

The best explanation I can give you is that this is simply your motivation. At the moment a fool figures "This feels right", he is intellectually dead. Maybe your intelligence is growing a few IQ points, so you are going for Physics, for the big outside, but to be honest you will see you are only attracted to goals and compĺexity. When you learn math, you like doing Problems all day. When you learn Physics, you eventually grab a few quests, be them on Engineering or Fundamental Physics. It is all about goals and complexity, be it game theory, physics, AI, etc. The intellectual life is going back and forth on subjects.

What would I do? Fucking learn Physics(which includes Chemistry)
>>
>>8192458
I see what you are getting at, and I think of doing it, but if I decide to take, at least, a bachelor, it would be too expensive for me.
If I decide to work and take the bachelor, I would have money to take it, but I would give up after a few time since it would be too time consuming.
>>
>>8192458
graph does not take into account that 80% of CS course is Software engineering for monkeys so maybe his IQ is not growing a few point then?
>>
>>8192458
>major in math
>mentally stimulating, useful (depending on specialty), and all the while fuccing bitches in college
>>
>>8192531
Not that much, in my college bachelor has like 50% max of SE, but yup, I call them programming monkeys
>>
OP, you should change your CS focus to something like "computational chemistry". There is an entire field out there in need of good algorists and better software/tools for molecular chemistry. There is also BIG money involved, since everything from manufacturing, to biotech, to big pharma has a stake in simulating chemical reactions in a fast, accurate fashion.

I would recommend looking for job postings for software devs at chemical/pharmaceutical companies. Look for what tools/skills/knowledge they want in a CS developer and figure out what you need to get a foot in the door. You may be closer to what you want than you think right now. Good luck.
>>
>>8193183
Chemist here, fucking this. Computational chemistry has plenty of space to grow in and we need people who actually know their shit about CS.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.