[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CRISPR THREAD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 2
File: crispr-infographic.jpg (145 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
crispr-infographic.jpg
145 KB, 1200x1200
WHY IS NOBODY TALKING ABOUT THIS
THIS IS HUGE.

THOUGHTS? FEARS? CHANCES?
>>
>>8182925
easier said than done
>>
>>8182925
You shouldn't be worried about CRISPR/CAS9. You should be worried about gene drive using CRISPR/CAS9

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_drive#CRISPR.2FCas9

>tfw humanity can now fuck up an entire species with minimal effort.

It's hilarious how frightening this is, I was reading a proposal to use the two to turn all mosquitoes male.
>>
>>8182938

The scary thing is that it really IS that easy. We might not be that far away from artificially genetically enhanced humans already
>>
>>8182943
>killing off an entire source of food for many animals just because some people get diseases
why?
>>
>>8182945
Because some people get disease, apparently. This is what makes it so scary, if some actually does this it could (and I emphasise could since I don't know anything about the consequences) fuck up an entire ecosystem.
>>
>>8182944
human gene editing was already possible, but because we have a forest of laws and regulations preventing it, we can't. having a different tool for the job isn't going to change that any time soon.
the only way we are going to see that is when our civilization will get it's head out of it's ass, and good fucking luck with that.
>>
>>8182950
I agree this won't change regulations, it'll probably only cause more to be added, but the fact that it's much, much easier now means that someone is much more likely to be able to disregard laws and do it anyway. Especially in countries that couldn't afford to do it before but might be able to now, and certainly have an incentive to do so (like say, African countries where mosquito-borne illnesses are the number one cause of poverty and disability).
>>
>>8182925
my first year bio lab TA was working on this stuff for his doctorate. Kind of a weird dude, but it was obvious that he was super passionate about his work.
>>
>>8182950
>>8182958

I think the laws will change once the results become apparent and people can cure cancer and aids with this. The Public decides what's legal and what's not and really in an aging society, where everyone gets cancer, where would there be a person that would be against gene editing
>>
>>8182981
>The Public decides what's legal and what's not
if you actually think that...
>>
>>8182984

You don't? Do people still believe in muh secret society after Brexit?
>>
>>8182988
Brexit was part of a Jewish plot to destabilize the Anglo race. If you can't see the obvious parallels with Brexit and the Jews forcing Christianity onto Rome you're a cuck.
>>
>>8182996

ok
>>
>>8182988
Brexit has no effect on the higher society

Why do you think Nigel stepped down? His job is done
>>
>>8182988
you're kidding right?
People who short stocks make a fortune off this sort of thing.
>>
>>8183003

People who short stocks are not top society
>>
>>8183003

Then why don't you do it?
>>
>>8183008
who says I don't?
>>8183005
>People who short stocks are not top society
they kinda are.
>>
>>8183027
>they kinda are.

No they aren't. They're just parasites leeching of the success of the real top dogs.
>>
>>8183036
holy shit you're actually assblasted about this?
>>
>>8183037

I'm just saying it how it is. Who actually believes shorties are successful at all? Literally name a single famous guy who made his money with shorting
>>
>>8182938
This
We use CRISPR in my lab with e. Coli and chlorella Vulgaris. It's a bitch tbqh
>>
>>8183041
Soros. He made $1 billion when he shorted the pound. I don't think he was independently wealthy before that.
>>
First tindr then grindr now crispr? Really?
>>
>>8182988
>It's either popular democracy or illuminati

sorry m80, your vote actually doesn't count and the people more powerful than you DO decide what you can and can't do, without the consent of the governed.

Your legislators get funding and vote just barely enough to satisfy their constituents, then vote in favor of their sponsors when you squabble over meme issues.
>>
>>8183041
Soros, plus all those activist short groups.
>>
>>8183047
>We use CRISPR in my lab with e. Coli and chlorella Vulgaris. It's a bitch tbqh
Yeah, the technique is immature and may never be perfected.

The exciting thing about CRISPR is that it has potential to be developed into a general-purpose in-vivo genetic-modification technology. This could mean everything from curing genetic illnesses and cancers to reversing and halting the aging process.

The reason to curb your enthusiasm is that it doesn't really work right. It's only applicable to certain genetic changes and still has a high rate of introducing genetic errors.
>>
>>8183041
are you aware that, despite some parts of it being fictionalized for entertainment purposes, The Big Short is based off a true story?
>>
>>8182925
>NOBODY TALKING
Change your news channel. BBC World News has been full of news about this.

Potentials are huge both for good and for bad.
Good: eliminate genetic diseases, of which about 100 are known today, more probably exist.
Bad: genetic warfare, the potential to literally eliminate an entire ethnic group. And there are enough crazies out there that would take a huge gamble without bothering about the collateral damage.
>>
fuck, I just want for this to cure herpes. I fucking hate getting cold sores. I didn't even get it from sex.
>>
If you could change one genetic trait about yourself, what would you change?
>>
>>8183291
I would change my shitty skin. I have keratosis pilaris and it fucking blows

I hope I can get my doctor to give me a retinoid script when I see him
>>
>>8183291
Get rid of whatever gave me my depression.
>>
>>8183291
having autistic behaviour
>>
How do I start lab growing my own organ clones and how do I use this to prevent cancers formed from aggressive HGH and stem cell therapy?
>>
>>8182947
>>8182945
>>killing off an entire source of food for many animals just because some people get diseases
Because it's something that is being studied and debated. Aparently, mosquitoes don't take any special place in any ecosystem that other animals already dont do or can't do. They only shine in the "plague bearer" position. Aparently. This requires a lot more investigation, and debate, but what's the difference between a mosquito and a bacteria? Where do you draw the line?
>>
yeah we should genocide the mosquitoes

it sounds worth than it is, there are basically two main species and one is the major disease carrier, a British company already uses genetically modified mosquitoes to breed out the bad ones with mosquitoes that die before they can mate, problem is this is now making the other species start to slowly adapt to carrying disease

Should just all get nuked, some people get sick my ass, people are dying from dengue in all the dense populations of the world, what debate is there either you value an insect more than a human or even a child's life or you don't
>>
>people honestly think it would be a bad thing if we killed off the most dangerous species on the planet to humans
>>
>>8183810
>>8183851
Ecosystem. Instead they should modify the diseases themselves to be harmless (is that possible?)
>>
>>8182925

i think it's a load of bs. if they had crisper technology proper computerized humans would already be possible, amd technically this universe would be a simulation; a construct through which god controls each one of us moment to moment; sometimes with *faith* and without awareness
>>
>>8183864
uhhhh I think that's how they make vaccines
>>
>>8182925
This is just slightly advanced gene cloning. Your body do this every single second. The very act of breathing oxygen creates free radicals that damages your DNA so your body is forever repairing your DNA until you die. Just swapping genes won't guarantee it works due to posttranslational modification and many proteins working as polymers.
>>
>>8183879
stop trying to use words you dont actually understand
>>
>>8183874
... This is the single most suppositional, uninformed, and idiotic post I have seen on this site.
Congratulations, never breed.
>>
>>8183897
the only i would breed is if it was with sasha
everyone else is
everyone
and else
>>
>>8183864

Mosquitos can be replaced by any other insect
>>
>>8183810

A project group in my research unit is developing a vaccine for malaria ridden areas that kills the mosquitoes after they feed from you.
>>
>>8183064
A hookup app for genmod humans!
>>
What's bad about genetically enhanced humans? As the top dogs of nature we lost any selective pressure, so we have to exert that on ourselves. We'll create the ultimate human
>>
>>8182925

Bipedal mechs carrying nuclear warheads when?
>>
>>8183192
This is true, but it as cheaper and more efficient than what we have, even considering the fact that mistakes will be made. Because of using guide RNA that we build to match the gene we want removed/cut open we hijack a naturally occurring bacterial defense that is good at what it does and make it our bitch. When the technique is perfected it will usher in a new age of medicine
>>
What are the limits of gen modification? Can we grow wings? Can we grow gills? Can I stop being a manlet
>>
REAL LIFE FUTA WHEN
>>
>Researchers believe that by applying the new technique to just 1% of the wild population of mosquitoes, they can eradicate malaria within a year.[28]
>still don't do it because hand wringing
Fuck this gay earth
>>
>>8185804

Who's gonna be the mad scientist who saves the world
>>
>>8185167
The American public thinks "playing God" is a bad thing.
We'll see how they feel about that when the first chinese superhumans start building true AIs.
>>
>>8186095
DID YOU NOT PLAY RESIDENT EVIL
>>
>>8185804
>>8185842

>1% of the mosquito population
>literally at least 100 million mosquitoes

Even the gene drive method will take a century. So who fucking cares. I'm gonna be dead anyways
>>
>>8185767

>Can I stop being a manlet

NEVER
>>
File: maralago_cjw_013.jpg (68 KB, 728x568) Image search: [Google]
maralago_cjw_013.jpg
68 KB, 728x568
>catgirls yay
>>
>get rid of mosquitos
>GIBSMEDATS increases 10000%
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.