[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New IUTT Paper
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: new_mochizuki.png (201 KB, 594x640) Image search: [Google]
new_mochizuki.png
201 KB, 594x640
Shinichi Mochizuki has written a new paper:
>http://www.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~motizuki/Alien%20Copies,%20Gaussians,%20and%20Inter-universal%20Teichmuller%20Theory.pdf
Pic related: it's an excerpt from the paper.
Discuss.
>>
>>8180994
His writing is horrible, is this even peer reviewed or just a rant?
>>
File: 1467469685696.jpg (216 KB, 1000x600) Image search: [Google]
1467469685696.jpg
216 KB, 1000x600
2deep4me
>>
>>8181006
Please don't shitpost. I know that it's funny that his developments are very complicated and indecipherable, but he actually makes an effort to make it more accessible. He just made a 115-page survey of his theory.
>>
>>8181026
Do you think anyone here is qualified to actually discuss this thing?
>>
>>8180994
>Alien copies

Why does his math sound like memes?
>>
File: 5QmVBaJ.png (88 KB, 1114x550) Image search: [Google]
5QmVBaJ.png
88 KB, 1114x550
>>8180994
Did he just BTFO 95% of the mathematics community?
>>
>>8181146
None of that is especially complicated beyond the weird characters.
>>
>>8181026
>Please note that 99% of sci are undergrads failing calc 1
>>
>>8181146
>>8181146
I think the main thing holding mathematics back is an over-reliance on shitty notation. Instead of describing otherwise simple concepts using plain language, most people in mathematics choose to rely on indecipherable hieroglyphics that offer no insight into their meaning. And before someone someone posts
>hurr math is the universal language
Then why are all those arcane symbols always embedded in large walls of English text?
>>
>>8181168
Nah m8 it's the other way around. English is holding us back yo. "Intuitive" concepts in English are extremely vague, most of the time, making them difficult to work with in math.
>>
>>8180994
>Here, let us recall that our hypothetical high-school student was already in a mental state of [math]extreme[/math] [math]frustration[/math] as a result of the student's [math]intensive[/math] [math]and[/math] [math]heroic[/math] [math]attempts[/math] in Step 2 which led only to an ENDLESS LABYRINTH of meaningless and increasingly complicated mathematical expressions.
>This experience left our hypothetical high school student with the impression that the Gaussian integral was without question BY FAR THE MOST DIFFICULT INTEGRAL that the student had ever encountered. In light of this experience, the suggestion of Step 3 evoked a reaction of intense INDIGNATION and DISTRUST on the part of the student.

I would think this was a meme if it wasn't in the paper.
>>
>>8181168
I agree. It's very hard to come up with good notation.
>>
>>8181168
Because an equation or a diagram will dispel the most amount of information in the shortest amount of space with the last ambiguity. God forbid you be forced to think about what something means for a second.
>>
>>8181168
just because you have little-to-no experience with what symbols they're using doesn't turn them into "indecipherable hieroglyphics"
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.