[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Suppose a binary star system consists of two stars with roughly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: binary-star.jpg (3 MB, 2500x1460) Image search: [Google]
binary-star.jpg
3 MB, 2500x1460
Suppose a binary star system consists of two stars with roughly the same mass.
Both orbit each other around a center of mass.

What happens to an astronaut who flies into this center of mass?

- would he be crushed?
- would he start to rotate? which way?
- nothing happens
>>
>>8180872
Nothing, COM is just a point in space, there is noting special about it
>>
nothing happens
>>
>>8180878
Would he be able to get out of the COM?
>>
>>8180885
No shit, with enough energy you can get out of anything. besides a Schwartzschild
>>
>>8180872
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrangian_point
>>
>>8180897
Is that applicable here? The astronaut wouldn't be in an orbit, would he?
>>
>>8180897
Lagrange Point cant be the center of mass of a two body system.
>>
>>8180872
Would this count as interstellar travelling?
>>
Nothing if he's on it exactly. But he'd start orbiting the point if he gets of.
>>
>>8180897
Oh yeah, well what about the roach limit?
>>
>>8181595

Roche limit*
>>
>>8181599
Nice name douche. Answer the question.
>>
hyperspace jump point
>>
>>8180872
I'll give you the only actual accurate answers without speculation anon:

1. We don't know.
2. We don't know.
3. We don't know.

Although our understanding of gravity at this current point would suggest "Nothing" would happen, it really depends on other factors.

I.E:

He would be pulled apart (Not crushed) if the stars were close enough for the acceleration to exceed the boundaries for tensile strength of human flesh.

Rotation would most likely follow the rotation of the stars, because gravitation "fields" (influence) closely represent EMF(s). But still speculation.

Props for an original question though OP.
>>
>>8181620
If the stars were close enough to rip him apart what kind of effects would they have on each other/the stability of the orbits? None?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.