[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
4chan Risk Strategy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: image.png (244 KB, 1786x1068) Image search: [Google]
image.png
244 KB, 1786x1068
Okay, /sci/, I'm trying to come up with a strategy for the classic game of 4chan Risk that's based on what would statistically be the smartest things to do.
The map of this game is pic related, and it's essentially a county map of the lower 48. As you can see, some states have bonuses. Using the number of counties each of those states has, I've determined that California has the highest bonus return of all the bonus states, offering 0.103 bonus territories per territory (the 2nd highest bonus return is Maine, at 0.0625, and the lowest is New York, at 0.0161). Furthermore, the bonus states seem to be located in close pairs (CA-WA, TX-NE, FL-TN) with the exception of the ME-NY-MI trio.
To calculate what your expected territories per turn would be, I assumed that the last numbers in a post number can be treated as being random. I know they aren't actually random, but in a fast-paced board they appear in a random-like manner. This is where I want help just to make sure I'm doing things right. For the chances of getting 4 territories in a turn (post number ends in 1 or 2 but isn't trips), would I just take 1/5 - 1/1000? Assuming that's correct, and applying that method to the rest of the territorial gains, then the chances of getting 4, 6, 10, or 14 territories on a turn are 199/1000 each, and the chances of getting 18 and 20 territories are 89/1000 and 98/1000, respectively. Thus, your expected territories per turn, statistically, should be 11.158, or about 11. I'll show my methodology in my next post.
Essentially I want to know whether my math is fucking retarded or if I'm right, and then what we can do to create a strategy from there on.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>8174508
My methodology for expected result. I know my handwriting is garbage.
>>
>>8174508
Name: Montgomery's Mounters
Colour: Blue
Starting Local: Delaware
>>
>>8174525
Fuck off
>>
>>8174548
Come on, Delaware, please.
>>
Name: Anthropomorphic Arts and Education
Color: pink
>>
>>8174965
Oh also give me San Diego, Orange, San Mateo, and Washoe
>>
>>8174511
Sorry about all of these trolls/idiots shitting up your thread, OP.

I'm not familiar with the game of risk, let alone the 4chan variant, but I'll give you a bump because I enjoy the idea of solving problems like this and coming up with optimum strategies for games with set rules and enough possibilities that a clear strategy isn't immediately evident.

btw, your handwriting is not bad at all, I wish I wrote that well
>>
>>8174508
>>8174511
Just realised that I'm off by a little. The chances of getting trips are 1/100, not 1/1000, so the expected result should be 11.518, so 12-ish territories per turn.
>>
>>8175466
>>8174525
^ This.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.