[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Grounding a battery?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: batt.jpg (27 KB, 699x357) Image search: [Google]
batt.jpg
27 KB, 699x357
Why there is no flow of electrons if i connect the positive terminal of a battery to the ground/PE (protective earth) of the mains?
>>
>>8173794

you have an open circuit

earth ground is just a zero reference (and return path) for AC power distribution systems.
>>
>>8173803
Would'n there be enough free electrons in the ground/earth that a few of them would move to the positive terminal of the battery where is an abcence of electrons?
>>
File: what.png (6 KB, 104x58) Image search: [Google]
what.png
6 KB, 104x58
Maybe they do.
>>
>>8173836
Think of it like this. A battery isn't an electron source or sink; it's more like an electron pump. The chemical reaction can only proceed if there are places for both positive and negative reactions to dump their charge.

If you attach the suction end of a pump to a pipe full of water, but plug the output end of the pump, no matter how hard you try you won't move any water. (Unless, of course, you pump so hard that the cap blows off the end.) Water is (effectively) incompressable.

Electricity works similarly. It's not *truly* incompressible, but because electrical charge is conserved, if the battery did manage to suck electrons without giving any back to the system it would acquire a negative charge, and the wire that was being depleted of electrons would acquire a positive charge. It doesn't take much before this charge dipole becomes too difficult to pump any more electrons across.

So I suppose that does happen, but it is an extremely slight effect and almost instantaneous.
>>
>>8174016
But if there is an abscence of electrons on the positive side of the battery, why the free electrons from the ground couldn't flow there to create a neutral charge?
>>
>>8175761
A battery isn't a capacitor. It's a complicated chemical device.
>>
>>8175786
Is that means that if i would use a capacitor instead of a battery there would be current flow?
>>
>>8173794

You didn't complete the circuit, which is why you're alive for now. Connect the - of the batter into the socket and you'll be able to electrocute yourself.
>>
>>8175827
Yes, you can discharge capacitors to mains earth. Go fucking read a basic electronics book before you ask retarded questions.

Why do retards intentionally put themselves out there and look retarded? A quick google would have solved this problem without appearing to be 12 years old
>>
>>8173836
>a few of them would move to the positive terminal of the battery where is an abcence of electrons?
Then the battery wouldn't (in total) be electro-statically neutral.
>>
>>8175842
I doubt that the 1.5V could have kill me in any configuration

>>8175846
i have never really seen an electronic book which went in-depth on the chemical stuff inside of batteries
>>
>>8175920
You sir, have completely misunderstood the concept of potential difference. Specifically you forgot about the second word.
This has nothing to do with the chemistry in batteries, all you need to know is they are a voltage source.
>>
Current works on a potential difference. Absolute potentials/voltages don't exist. The potential difference here is between the positive and minus side of the battery. When you connect the positive side to the ground, you make that terminal the same relative voltage as the ground, but there is still no potential difference, therefore no current.
>>
>>8175761
There isn't an absence of electrons on either side of the battery, or a surplus for that matter. Both sides of the battery are neutrally charged.

Rather, the negative side is willing to *export* electrons, and the positive side is willing to *import* them. But if it imported electrons without exporting any out the other end, it would build up a charge difference and shortly stop working.

Again, think of it as a pump that's already full of water. Both ends of the pump are already full of water - there isn't "extra" water somehow compressed into the output, or an empty void in the input pipe. No matter how big of a tank you connect the input to, it's still not going to suck in any water unless you have somewhere on the other end for that water to go.
>>
>>8173794
those wall sockets look angry
>>
>>8175933
>You sir, have completely misunderstood the concept of potential difference.

You sir, have completely misunderstood the concept of potential difference.

It has everything to do with the chemistry in the batteries. Until he anode is connected to the cathode there is no potential difference. I could have a PD of 1,000,000 volts between anode and cathode. connecting the anode to a .house ground means nothing as the potential difference there is still zero until looped back to the cathode.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.