[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'll try to make this quick. I'm 21 years old. I joined
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 1416152958866.gif (92 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
1416152958866.gif
92 KB, 640x400
I'll try to make this quick.

I'm 21 years old. I joined the military after high school and got out recently. I'm going to be starting school in the fall and I need to take Calculus to transfer to the program I want. The highest math I took in high school was Precalculus, which I barely learned because I was a depressive shitter. That was almost three years ago and I haven't really been in a classroom setting since.

I do not consider myself a prodigy or any other sort of genius.

How can I make sure that I don't fail this class? How should I review high school math to prepare? Should I just blow through Kahn Academy in a couple months and call it good?

Sorry for shitting up your board.
>>
>>8168467
>this math review
totally doable

I hear the format of Kahn has changed recently in ways that people don't appreciate.

www.patrickjmt.com has a lot of videos on the same pre-calc/calc topics

or you could go to bookzz.org and download a couple textbooks after simple keyword search
>>
>>8168467
Your military discipline will get you through ez.

All Calc classes hold your hand with review stuff that you'll need.

Trying to learn yourself will most likely discourage you.

If you want to review, look up formulas about lines, circles, parabolas, etc. And understand why they look the way they do. You can also ll read up about exponents, natural logs, and trig if you want to. Trig won't be important until Calc 2 and 3 though.
>>
I assuming you are a CC student now, how exactly are you able to go directly into Calc 1? I thought all CC's make you take a math placement test. If so, you wont need worry about review because youll be placed in the appropriate math. Anything lower than trig/precal is a huge waste of time, since precal is essentially a very large fast paced review of algebra.
>>
>>8168472
my concern is the time constraint. I really doubt I could work through a single textbook let alone several

that www.patrickjmt.com is interesting though, thanks
>>
>>8168478
>Your military discipline will get you through ez.
I have my doubts. The only "military discipline" thing is not universal.

>Trying to learn yourself will most likely discourage you.
what makes you say this?

>>8168482
>I assuming you are a CC student now,
No, I have enough credits from military training to be considered a transfer student, but for the engineering program I'm trying to get into, I need a few prerequisite classes which I'm going to take in the fall without declaring a major, then transfer into the program in the spring
>>
>>8168492
>>8168482
To clarify, I'm taking non-degree classes at a local university with the intention of applying to schools for the spring, with the local university being the backup plan if I don't do all that well/don't get accepted anywhere decent.
>>
>>8168492
If you're not used to mathematical rigor, the big ideas of calculus will be lost in the details.

Self learning with no context is just going through the motions
>>
do a lot of practice problems
>>
>>8168623
>If you're not used to mathematical rigor, the big ideas of calculus will be lost in the details.
Does anyone actually learn rigor before Calculus? I thought that was Analysis.
>>
I>>8168467
Do not use Kahn Academy. If you must use internet sources use Professor Leonard.

However, do not be entirely dependent on internet sources, work through the problems from your assigned textbook.

The algebra is a bit tricky but doable, but the trigonometry is what destroys people. As a tutor, I've seen kids get halfway through the semester and get completely annihilated because they don't know the fucking unit circle.

You put in the time and hard work and you'll be fine.
>>
>>8168467

do you need only one calculus course, or will you need a lot of math after that?
>>
>>8168467
Think.
If my autistic 15 year old self can figure out the definition of the derivative and apply it, you should be able to do the same.
Ever heard about limits?
>>
>>8168467
Good short book on how to learn technical subjects: "A Mind for Numbers" read it and work hard, son.
>>
>>8168791
No, and that's why you need the teacher there to force you to see the importance of things like limits.
>>
if you have to ask it you will never know
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.