[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lucid Dreams
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2
File: safe-dreaming.jpg (43 KB, 381x424) Image search: [Google]
safe-dreaming.jpg
43 KB, 381x424
Help. I am a 23 year old male and for almost as long as I can remember I have suffered from "lucid" dreams. I have no experience in the science surrounding dreams so I don't know if what I am experiencing are dreams or REALLY high detail hallucinations. As i have gotten older, the frequency, detail, and severity of these "dreams" have dramatically increased. I don't know where to turn for help. I feel like i am going completely insane. I live in a place where i can't even find affordable, quality mental healthcare for the shit in my head that i CAN explain... I don't know what to do.
>>
These "dreams" include scenarios and experiences I have never had, involving people I have never met and places I have never seen.
>>
Bump for curiosity
>>
>>8166508
why are they distressing you so much? most people have dreams and even lucid dreams.
>>
I thought lucid dreams were the one where you know you're dreaming while dreaming and can control everything...?
>>
Halfawake, boy do I have the mango for you:
>http://mangafox.me/manga/itou_junji_kyoufu_manga_collection/v14/c001/1.html

But more on topic, what do you mean by "severity"?
>>
>>8166538
Part of it is the content of the "dreams". But mostly it is the sheer realism. All 5 senses fully working and everything in the "dream" is telling me it is really happening. There are times where i know it's a dream but only because i vaguely remember going to bed. The content of the individual "dreams" aren't normally related to one another but more often than not they are quite horrifying.
>>
>>8166545
By severity I mean how fucked up the content of the dream. such as the dozens of times i have woken up milliseconds from in-dream depiction of my death.
>>
And for a little more info... These "dreams" are always first person.
>>
>>8166553
Are you confusing lucid with vivid? Lucid should mean you have control -- not just over yourself but over the content of the dream.
>>
>>8166545
I just hit page 7 and HOLY FUCK!!! That's part of it. First I want to clarify I have ZERO military or otherwise combat experience... I only know what i know from talking to my brother who did a tour in Afghanistan... But some of these dreams have been centered around combat. some of these dreams, the rare ones, seem to last for weeks or even months but i wake up only hours later in my bed.
>>
>>8166558
It is very possible. I haven't really known what to call them. I have full muscle control in these dreams, most of the time. But the events in the dreams play out as life would, unpredictably. I also believe that in my early teens i had a few of these dreams that resulted in real world physiological effects, such as burns or cuts. Especially in spots that couldn't be self made.
>>
>>8166549
you should learn how to reality check. Periodically get in the habit of reading from books every few minutes, they don't look right in dreams, the words shift on the page and don't stay consistent if you flip the page and then look back at it a few seconds later.
>>
>>8166575
That sounds like an effective tip but my issue isn't so much determining if its a dream. It's pulling myself out and not falling into a pitiful mental heap at the mental images of getting my head lobbed off on camera... One dream of many.... My brother didn't believe me... Thought i was making it up so I would have an excuse to talk about his deployment. It was only after hours of me describing some of these, when he finally took me seriously.
>>
Also books aren't the first thing to come to mind when watching people get slaughtered like cattle. I know the people aren't real. I know the events aren't real. But some seem based off of real events. And the level of realism in these is absolutely terrifying. I just to know how and where to get help for this. It is tearing my mind to shreds. Any guidance?
>>
>>8166593
Dominate.

You are God in this place. You have let fear overcome you.

Repeat this to yourself as you drift into sleep tonight-
" I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Become force and fire and change. Watch the illusion bend to your will. It will be hard, but it will be worth it.

MASTER YOUR FEAR
>>
File: fb-alienman-cosmos-man[1].jpg (71 KB, 604x403) Image search: [Google]
fb-alienman-cosmos-man[1].jpg
71 KB, 604x403
BEND IT TO YOUR WILL

ONLY THEN CAN YOU SELF-ACTUALIZE AND EXPLORE THE UNTRAMMELED BEAUTY OF YOUR OWN MIND

YOU NEED ONLY HAVE THE STRENGTH TO BREAK THROUGH THE TERROR THAT HAUNTS YOU

EMBRACE YOUR INNER POWER OP

EMBRACE YOUR ROLE AS DREAM-LORD
>>
>>8166574
>>8166584
I don't have them so grain of salt etc.

From what I've been told, determining that it's a dream without waking up is usually the difficult part of lucid dreaming, so it's possible your situation is completely different from what I've heard. But, supposedly lucid dreams will play out VERY believably, yet, you are capable of "willing" change of scenery, sometimes through "magical" events such as flight. Not really as far as controlling what other people in the dreams do, but making them go away if it's not a scenario you want to experience. @ believability, I've heard of people having enlightening regular conversations with dream people every night.

I would try to find what other people with lucid dreams (preferably people who have had scary ones) have to say, they may have some advice for figuring out how to control it if that does apply to your situation. I've seen a lot of websites and communities around it, but never kept them around because while the idea fascinates me, I rarely even dream. So I don't have anywhere to send you.
>>
>>8166595
>>8166597
>>8166601
This is all good advice thank you. I don't know that i could reach out to one of these communities. On here were are all just anons. This is the first i have talked about it with anyone other than my brother, my wife, and my (former) therapist and she laughed me out of her office. I have other issues holding me back but... These fucking dreams are what is really getting to me.
>>
>>8166508
> I don't know if it is a lucid dream or hallucination

Then it is not a lucid dream. To be lucid means to understand that it must be a dream. So that you are sure that nothing that happens in this state can harm you whatsoever.
>>
>>8166807
Then they are not lucid dreams. But this leaves the question, what are they? Because there is no certainty that i wont be harmed.
>>
>>8167022
this isnt your help-me blog, faggot.
>>
>>8167036
You don't like it then there are a million other threads. Go stroke your millimeter peter elsewhere.
>>
spin a metal top see if it falls over
>>
>>8167036
Questions about brain activity and states of consciousness are perfectly scientific as long as OP isn't rambling about muh qualia, go stroke your millimeter peter elsewhere.
>>
>>8166575
>you should learn how to reality check. Periodically get in the habit of reading from books every few minutes, they don't look right in dreams, the words shift on the page and don't stay consistent if you flip the page and then look back at it a few seconds later.

This happens often in my dreams and it's quite frustrating, but it's usually never enough to make me realize I'm dreaming. Not OP btw.
>>
>>8168464
That sounds pretty lame. Out of curiosity, do you have similar problems with other "tricks"? Hands looking wrong for example?
>>
>>8166607
The guys you're responding to here have good advice. Especially the "powering through fear" suggestions.

I used to have lucid dreams quite often. They've abated lately for whatever reason. They most often occur when I'm sleeping lightly, like when I take a nap during the day or know I have to be awake shortly. They can be very realistic, and sometimes frightening. But what I learned to do was adopt a "bring it" mentality in these frightening dreams. When I sensed something frightening in the dreams, I would think to myself "go ahead - try me. Fucking bring it." I would will the dream to become more terrifying - embracing the fear. This attitude actually made it so the terrifying aspect of the dream would never come.

This may sound crazy, but if you're dreaming about slaughtered bodies, force yourself to become the slaughterer. Go up to them and start tearing them apart yourself. Embrace the fear and dominate. That's what worked for me.
>>
>>8166508
That would spook me because it could be spooky dreams.

I have already punched the window out and shit from my nightmares so wouldn't need more of that dmt fueled shit.
>>
>>8168471
Nothing really looking "wong" per se - it's more just a sense of demntia. Like, I truly believe I know, through my dreams, how dementia/Alzheimer patients must feel. I never remember why I'm in a situation - I get the sense that I've been doing something important for days or weeks, but I never remember the details of how or why I got there.

A frequent, recurring dream I have is going on a week long, world traveling vacation with my family, but I only remember the end of the dream where I know I've had these amazing experiences, but I can only remember bits and pieces of them, which leaves me frustrated.
>>
>>8168488
>I never remember why I'm in a situation - I get the sense that I've been doing something important for days or weeks, but I never remember the details of how or why I got there.
Not a lucid dreamer, and I rarely dream honestly, but I would suggest this is common. My dreams are disconnected, I don't remember how I got there, and I'll even switch from "victim" to the "perpetrator" without realizing it until waking up and later thinking back on scraps I remember.
>>
>>8168479
That sounds like one hell of a way to do it. There are nights where the only thought on my mind, the only thing for me to do (in the dreams) is to do my best to just stay alive. The sense of "oh shit that is going to kill me" is usually very present. That being said, I'm not always on the business end of the horrors in my head... I like the "bring it' attitude but at the same time, I worry that if I embrace or provoke whats happening in my dreams, I might intensify it. Or worse, that it may bleed through even more to my real life. Especially when it comes to some of the things I have done in these situations.
>>
>>8168500
>I'll even switch from "victim" to the "perpetrator"

That's common too - as is the overall disconnection theme. For me, it's more often people changing. I'll start the dream off with my childhood cousin, then he'll become a high school friend, then a co-worker - sometimes a combination of a few people at once.
>>
>>8168507
>I like the "bring it' attitude but at the same time, I worry that if I embrace or provoke whats happening in my dreams, I might intensify it.

It may - I'm just going by what's worked for me, as well as what worked for other people dealing with lucid dreams and nightmares. I actually got the idea from reading a forum on it.

>Or worse, that it may bleed through even more to my real life. Especially when it comes to some of the things I have done in these situations.

I really think that's an understandable, yet unfounded fear. You seem to have a pretty firm grasp on reality. What you do in dreams won't effect that. One thing I've learned in practice and have passed on to clients is that you aren't responsible for your dreams - dreaming about doing bad or evil things certainly doesn't make you a bad or evil person. Dreams born of your subconscious actually have little to no bearing as to who you are as a person. Although they can be disturbing, try to remember that they are only dreams - take them with a grain of salt. In reality, they are basically meaningless.
>>
>>8168519
That is surprisingly reassuring... So what do i do about the situations where death is certain?
(in dream and usually horrific)
>>
>>8168553
>So what do i do about the situations where death is certain?

Well again, I can only speak from personal experience, but my advice would remain the same. Embrace it. I've actually embraced certain death in my dreams - and what happens is I don't die, believe it or not. Whether it's falling off a cliff or getting shot or getting attacked by some monster, when I embrace and accept it, nothing happens. I hit the ground and I'm still alive, or I get shot and I'm still alive, etc. When these things happen, that's when I usually realize it's a dream and the fear is gone. Either that, or I simply wake up upon "death." Either way, over time, the dreams become less stressful - they lose their power to scare me.
>>
>>8168567
In addition to that, before I went for the "emracing" route, I would wake myself up if the dream got too intense - usually by forcing my eyes open as wide as I could in the dream, thus causing my eyes to open in real life. I can't really tell you how to do that, however - just something I learned naturally.
>>
>>8168573
I just want to make sure i'm following you. Your saying instead of fighting it, the dream throws a bus or a tornado or a tornado of buses at me and i should just let it happen??? That seems a little risky to be honest... I mean, I like it but... I am a very reactive person, this is gonna be damn difficult, let me tell ya... but i like it so its being added to list of "soon to attempt"
>>
Interesting can lucid dreaming be dangerous like inception.
>>
>>8166508
When I was a kid, I suffered them as well. And it was terrible. I barelly slept because I had to be able to both take control and to both sleep, and it actually took hard work to manage it. Thankfully it went away when I was 14. I never dreamt nothing scary, nor I have ever had a nightmare, but every day of my life I was having the exact same dream, and I wouldnt sleep if I didnt do the same stuff every day. I managed to have control to a point, but it was still a real pain in the ass.
>>
>>8169127
Pretty much, yeah - brace yourself for it. Oddly enough, I have had many recurring "extreme weather" dreams including tornadoes and tidal waves the size of 10 story buildings. I've braced myself in a dream where a tornado smashes into me more than once - and I always end up OK in the dream. After awhile it becomes routine. I actually really enjoy tornado dreams nowadays.
>>
>>8166549
stop being a bitch and control them better Lucid dreaming was the most fun I ever had and now I cant do it anymore and some pussy like you is wasting it.
>>
>>8170738
some pussy like me? Listen here, cuckwad. I have been through the shit more times than should legal for someone my age. I have been dealing with this shit for as long as i can remember. Imagine never getting to escape life to your dreams. Never getting to rest easy in your bed, knowing that every night you may witness another atrocity within the realm of human possibility. Imagine being in constant cycle between day to day horrors IRL and fabricated hyper-realistic atrocities conjured by an over-active subconscious mind. Sorry if i have a little difficulty counting this as a gift.
>>
>>8170290
Okay. Extreme weather dreams sound fun to be honest. i have never had one. unless you count global destruction by natural causes...
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.