[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If density isn't finite, is there something like infinite
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: FB_IMG_1466501138162.jpg (56 KB, 605x800) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1466501138162.jpg
56 KB, 605x800
If density isn't finite, is there something like infinite velocity?

Why is light the fastest thing possible if it's finite?
>>
>>8161263
Because Norman Wildberger is right, and infinity doesn't exist.
>>
>>8161263
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bekenstein_bound

Density is finite.

Light is the fastest thing possible because it has no mass.

GO back 2 Sckoll
>>
>>8161282
How is density finite?

What about Black Holes?
>>
>>8161303
>What about Black Holes?
What about them?
Each has a finite mass, so unless they occupy ZERO volume, they have finite density.
>>
>>8161263
>fastest thing possible
If so they wouldn't be here.
>>
>>8161318
>what is a singularity
>>
>>8161282
That's a bound on the entropy of a region; it says nothing about density.
The singularity in a black hole has infinite density.
>>
>If density isn't finite

It is.
>>
>>8161386
> What is approximation
>>
>>8161486
how dense are you?
>>
>>8161531
Well I'm not a singularity you know.
You can approximate a singularity to infinite density for the sake of calculation, but if you approximate me to infinity I'm afraid your professor won't be happy
>>
File: 4EPrrTi.jpg (25 KB, 460x340) Image search: [Google]
4EPrrTi.jpg
25 KB, 460x340
>>8161386
>>what is a singularity
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_singularity

>Many theories in physics have mathematical singularities of one kind or another.
>Equations for these physical theories predict that the ball of mass of some quantity becomes infinite or increases without limit.
>This is generally a sign for a missing piece in the theory, as in the ultraviolet catastrophe, renormalization, and instability of a hydrogen atom predicted by the Larmor formula.

>This is generally a sign for a missing piece in the theory,

see also:
>The laws of normal spacetime could not exist within a singularity.[1][2]

As it turns out, OP is still a fag.

And don't forget, OP asks:
>If density isn't finite, is there something like infinite velocity?
So he's essentially asking:
"I found one type of infinity that *might* exist in the real world, (or maybe our theories are incomplete), and even though the laws of normal spacetime can't apply in this case, it still makes me wonder if GR is wrong because if one kind of infinity can maybe exist, then why not infinite speed too?"

Jesus Christ, OP might as well ask "if the universe is infinite, why would I ever run out of mac and cheese?"
>>
>>8161263
>is there anything denser than the densest thing in the universe
Well OP, theres you
>>
>>8161303
>>8161386
>>8161414
>>8161531
This math literalism is embarrassing. We don't know what the fuck goes on inside the event horizon of a black hole, we're constantly refining our ideas. There are apparent paradoxes all over with our current understanding. The fact that current equations show a singularity means NOTHING. A few years ago we thought nothing came out of a black hole, that didn't turn out to be the case.

Thanks >>8161554 for actually having a brain.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.