[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I really don't know how to ask this without it sounding
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: Mars.jpg (298 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
Mars.jpg
298 KB, 1200x675
I really don't know how to ask this without it sounding like a conspiracy theory, but how come the possibility of intelligent life once living on Mars is never discussed in the scientific community? We're constantly finding out new things about the planet and it's already believed that the planet was once similar to Earth anyway. I'm not a big science head, so would this be literally impossible or is it possible but unlikely?
>>
Of course it's possible. People will tell you it's not if this thread gets any more replies, but you have to remember, these are people from a sub-Type 1 civilization who reached their conclusions about where life can and cannot occur in the universe based on observing only a small percentage of the organisms that have ever existed on only one single planet.
>>
>>8160534
Further evidence for the conclusion that the life wasn't just basic?
>>
File: 1404874089444.jpg (16 KB, 240x233) Image search: [Google]
1404874089444.jpg
16 KB, 240x233
>>8160626
thanks anon, great perspective
>>8160634
True, but aren't we already assuming that there is life on some of the Kepler planets based on the fact that they are similar to Earth? If Mars was also like that at one point I don't see how it's so far fetched.
>>
File: thousandyardstare.png (475 KB, 468x490) Image search: [Google]
thousandyardstare.png
475 KB, 468x490
>>8160647
I want Avatar to be true too, anon. Just, don't get me all excited for amoeba or stromatoliths, I will be very disappointed.
>>
>>8160534
Why is life outside of Earth such a fucking sacred meme? Let's say it exists, why do people snort some sort of invisible monkey cocaine when they hear this?
>>
>>8160647
>but aren't we already assuming that there is life on some of the Kepler planets based on the fact that they are similar to Earth?
WHAT? Who is assuming this?
>>
>>8160626

>"these are people"

Not "we are people?"

Are you from Mars?
>>
>>8160670
scientists
>>
>>8160669
Religiosity
>>
File: images.jpg (4 KB, 160x140) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4 KB, 160x140
>>8160534
If there was , they left no structures.
Picture hilariously unrelated.
>>
>>8160852
If it was millions of years ago how could there be structures still left over, assuming they were even advanced enough to have them?
>>
>>8160534
>how come the possibility of intelligent life once living on Mars is never discussed in the scientific community?
Because there's absolutely no evidence for it whatsoever.
>>
>>8160534
I think it's possible that life could have existed, but the question you posed was can "intelligent" life have existed there, and for that I say no. I say no because I don't think that enough time had passed since the formation of the planet to develope intelligent life. Look at how long it took for intelligent life to emerge on Earth, if by intelligent we assume human-like cognition. It took millions of year of evolution to get to where we are today, so a similar process should have transpired on Mars to develope that
>>
>>8160647
"assuming" there is life on some planets because liquid water + right temperature isn't the same as talking about fucking intelligent life, nerd
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.