[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
For how long should I stay awake in order to die of sleep deprivation?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 1457215323369.png (593 KB, 804x536) Image search: [Google]
1457215323369.png
593 KB, 804x536
For how long should I stay awake in order to die of sleep deprivation?

I've seen instances of people dying from only staying awake for 36 hours while others have succesfully kept going for multiple days. What's the secret?

[spoiler]And If I woke up pretty early this morning and want to stay up to see the Brexit results will I die?[/spoiler]
>>
>>8160513
>I've seen instances of people dying from only staying awake for 36 hours

I don't believe this, can you give a source?
>>
>>8160515
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/18/diablo-3-death-chuang-taiwan-_n_1683036.html

Excuse the shit source, it was the first link I found about the story.

Turns out I was off by 4 hours but the point stands.
>>
I had problems with insomnia in my late teenager years. I spent about 44 hours awake, and I didn't die AFAIK.

It's not something I would recommend tho. Things start getting pretty weird after about 24 hours. It starts to feel like real life is a movie you are merely watching.
>>
>>8160518
It's how long he played the game, we don't know his actual wake time
>>
File: 1461412444300.jpg (88 KB, 988x867) Image search: [Google]
1461412444300.jpg
88 KB, 988x867
>>8160527
So I can stay up for the Brexit live feeds then.

That about wraps it up then.
>>
>>8160513
>I've seen instances of people dying from only staying awake for 36 hours
>>8160518
>http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/18/diablo-3-death-chuang-taiwan-_n_1683036.html

Pretty sure the "without eating" part is the deciding factor here, at least more so than just him staying awake alone.
Staying awake that long is probably neither great nor particularly healthy, but eating and drinking might be one of the secrets to not die from that.
>>
>>8160530
> mfw if brexit happens UK will have the same agreements with other countries minus the refugees
> mfw brexit will fail
feels bad mane
>>
There was an english king (I think it was one of the Henrys) who was kept awake for a month. Whever he nodded off they would throw could water on him or some shit. I think eventually your body just shuts down, but it would take a long time if you were still eating and drinking.
>>
>Randy Gardner (born c. 1947, age 69) is the holder of the scientifically documented record for the longest period a human has intentionally gone without sleep not using stimulants of any kind. In 1964, Gardner, a high school student in San Diego, California, stayed awake for 264.4 hours (11 days 24 minutes).

>On his final day, Gardner presided over a press conference where he spoke without slurring or stumbling his words and in general appeared to be in excellent health. "I wanted to prove that bad things didn't happen if you went without sleep," said Gardner. "I thought, 'I can break that record and I don't think it would be a negative experience.'"

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Gardner_(record_holder)
>>
>>8160513
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmM3YZQrIWA
relevant, but take it with a grain of salt.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.