[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Plasma Bullet Design
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: battlefield-4-rorsch-mk1.jpg (8 KB, 434x123) Image search: [Google]
battlefield-4-rorsch-mk1.jpg
8 KB, 434x123
So guys, I've been busy brainstorming over the past few weeks and have come up with a rough idea and design of a plasma bullet that could be fired by a coil/rail rifle. I know this thread may belong on /k/ but I believe you guys in /sci/ will be of better help. My bullet is basically a hollow copper bullet filled with gas so that the gas ionizes when it passes through the magnetic currents of the coils or rail. The copper jacket on the tip of the bullet is left open to expose some of the lead inside. there will be lead inside the bullet to add some mass and to ensure that it expands on impact. The plasma part of the bullet is that after the bullet expands in the body after penetration the ionized gas inside will escape and burn the surrounding tissue. I'm thinking of making this a 10mm round. As this is still a rough idea I need some theoretical and practical help to make it possible. I'll upload some of my sketches soon.
>>
File: davidcameron.jpg (16 KB, 236x324) Image search: [Google]
davidcameron.jpg
16 KB, 236x324
>>8159706
>inb4 a tirade
>>
>>8159706
A plasma would have very low internal pressure. Assuming you could deliver a plasma-filled bullet to target without breaking it open, the high velocity would defeat the purpose of using a plasma. It wouldn't burn due to its internal forces but more due to impact pressure.
>>
>>8159706
Plasma weapons are a meme. A puff of hot gas ain't got any stoppin powah.
There are also problems with plasma weapons:
http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacegunexotic.php#id--Plasma_Weapons

That being said check out the plasmak a method for making ball lightning in the lab. It doesn't have much stoppin powah, but it does cause an EMP when the plasma ball hits something
>>
File: oyvey.jpg (30 KB, 299x300) Image search: [Google]
oyvey.jpg
30 KB, 299x300
>>8159706
It is essentially pointless. If you're packing enough of a punch to rupture the soft tissue of the body as to travel into internal organs, you do not require the ability to inject plasma into them. They'll probably already be dead, or dying from massive internal injury and unconscious due to the rapid drop in blood pressure.
>>
>>8159706
>I'm thinking of making this a 10mm round
You're not making anything. You're a cheeto-encrusted videogame addict.
>>
>>8159706
>The copper jacket on the tip of the bullet is left open to expose some of the lead inside

im not a physicist, but im pretty sure any opening on the tip where there is usually...a tip, is going to be horribly inefficient for velocity.
>>
>>8159759
But I liked them in Unreal Tournament... the only FPS I wish would take off again. UT1 was the shit. Unfortunately, the general public jumped to the Halo series for unrealistic, fast paced FPShooters.
>>
Plasma is extremely hot and would destroy the projectile with the inside expansion and heat alone. Not to mention that once the bullet is fired and outside of the gun, it wouldn't be plasma anymore because it's not being ionized anymore.

And this.
>>8159852
>>
"I wish I could fire bullets that were filled with gas instead of lead/copper/depleted uranium" said no one ever, but in any case you're too stupid to make a portable railgun so it's moot.
>>
>>8159706
Plasma that small would be nearly worthless. It would cool so fast upon contact with anything that you could simply hold it in your hand and not be much bothered by it.

You need sustained plasma. Take a plasma torch for instance, it uses a small amount of plasma, but it is sustained for a very long time. That is the key problem with using a plasma weapon.

>I'm thinking of making _____

/diy/ gets these threads all the time. They are worthless even as a conversation topic, unless you are smoking weed or something, but they you're a pothead and worthless.
>>
>>8159706
Even if it did work, which it won't what is the point in plasma projectiles?
>>
Ok guys instead of a plasma gun as it seems quite moot and illogical. It also seems like we don't possess the technology to make it so how about a design of something that would help us humans. I just want some food for thought so some help could be appreciated. Lets just keep it this way if we are able to formulate something that will work and is not hindered by lack of technology I promise to make it a reality in the future.
There are a lot of mine victims in my country and they are in need of prosthetic. However healthcare is abysmal and most people don't earn more than $200 per year. So how should we design a prosthetic that is robust, reliable, comfortable and affordable for these people. Most prosthetic limbs are prohibitive for them. So any help would be appreciated. This is an open ended idea.
>>
>>8161074
Identifying a problem is the easy part of any invention, finding an ingenious solution is the difficult part.

You seriously think you're breaking new ground here by coming up with the idea of revolutionizing prosthetics? Many people are working on it already.

The answer by the way is coming up with more cost-effiective one-off prints, since prosthetics have to be custom made. A bunch of shitheads are using 3D printers to do this, GIYF.
>>
>>8161074
Dude, just fuck off. You know jack about engineering. Let alone high school physics/chemistry apparently.
>>
>>8161074
>" I WANNA IMPROVE THE WORLD!"

>asks 4chan

>gets "how to make crystals recipe".
>>
>>8159998
Too bad.
>>8161074
How about this:
1. Develop highly efficient solar cells
2. Develop some awesome as fuck batteries
3. Develop a highly efficient pulsed laser

Combine into a self powered device that fires at any human that comes in range.

With a pulsed laser beam we can cause a series of small explosions to drill through flesh using rather reasonable amounts of energy. With 50% efficient solar cells and 50% efficient lasers, the solar collection area can be quite reasonable. With 1 meter of collection area we can accumulate enough energy for a lethal laser blast every 20 seconds at noon day sun.

Now here's the cool part, if we fire several of these laser blasts in unison across a target we can efficiently remove people's limbs. It's like a landmine, but it might be slightly greener because of reusability and better area denial.
>>
>>8161299
we can even target only certain physical traits

lets say the intruder already misses both his feet, the laser will only cut of a finger for psychological reasons. no need for unnecessary violence :^)
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.