[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stochastic Calculus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: Taleb_mug.jpg (128 KB, 793x776) Image search: [Google]
Taleb_mug.jpg
128 KB, 793x776
Is there any way a noob, who hasn't even taken a course in Measure Theory, can learn basic stochastic calculus?

I want to do a little project about it.
>>
mhm.. Re-implement this Python code in your favorite language, then read about Brownian motion and clarify all terms for you that you don't understand

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler%E2%80%93Maruyama_method
>>
>>8151888
Yeah, plenty of textbooks that teach it in a non-measure-theoretic manner. You'll just need good knowledge of probability, and skills in calculus.
>>
>>8151906
Interesting, thank you. I already read about the derivation of the stochastic DE:

[eqn] \mathrm{d} X_t = \mu X_t \mathrm{d} t + \sigma X_t \mathrm{d} B_t [/eqn]

I think I can program the thing from the link in MATLAB.
>>
>>8151907
>You'll just need good knowledge of probability, and skills in calculus.

That's something I got. Do you have any specific recommendations?
>>
bumpity bump
>>
Why not discrete Markov chains ? This is stuff you can actually study in-depth with very little measure theoretic background and that would give you some intuition for how Brownian motion works
>>
also bumping
>>
>>8153487
SDEs got my interest for some reason, also we covered some Markov Chain theory and Brownian Motion in class.

The project is not for a grade, it's optional for people who did well in the probability course and want to expand a bit for an extra credit point. It's supposed to be something that's taken you around 25 hours to do.
>>
yeah you can learn some of the results with an approxmating theory called the binomial model (in finance).

you wouldn't be able to do that much though.
>>
>>8154382
Looks interesting, thanks.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.