[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone know a nice space that this is homeomorphic to? Its
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: Untitled1.png (6 KB, 819x460) Image search: [Google]
Untitled1.png
6 KB, 819x460
Does anyone know a nice space that this is homeomorphic to? Its just R^2 take away the lines x=0,y=0 and x=y, with the subspace topology of the standard topology.
>>
6 disjoint copies of R^2 tb.h
>>
File: cube_bis.jpg (7 KB, 299x292) Image search: [Google]
cube_bis.jpg
7 KB, 299x292
>>
>>8150641
The surface of a cube minus the edges, yes. This is the same as >>8150581
>>
>>8150581
Yes. If OP wants a formal name for it for some reason, it's the 6-fold coproduct [math]\coprod_{i=1}^6 \mathbb{R}^2 [/math].
>>
>>8150581
>>8150641
>>8150674

Does it not matter whatsoever that each face of the cube is adjacent to four others, while in our original space each face is adjacent to only two others?
>>
>>8150728
Topologically it doesn't matter.
>>
>>8150728
Topologically the faces may as well be a million miles apart.
>>
>>8150581
I was actually hoping for something nicer. An example would be if we had R^2 take away x=y and x=-y that would be homeomorphic to (R^*)^2 where R^* is just R-{0}.

The reason for the is that Im trying to find out, in C^3 what the space C^3 take away the hyperplanes described by x-y=0, x-z=0 and y-z=0 is homeomorphic to. And I see that these hyper planes can be arranged so that this can become a "4" dimensional problem instead of a "6". And by making it into a 4 dimensional problem this is the type of graph I get. So I'd really want an answer of the form C-{blah}\times C-{blah} \times C.
>>
>>8150511
Homeomorphic means a space is "equivalent" to a deformed space. Example a surface of an ellipsoid is homeomorphic to the surface of a sphere.

With this in mind the universe subject to general relativity, which distorts space locally, is homeomorphic to your linear space.
>>
>>8151353
Isn't it just (R^*)^6?
>>
>>8151438
I guess it is but I was hoping for something cleaner, because then every answer would be just R^n depending on what hyperplanes I take out.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.