[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
pseudoscience thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: Science.png (58 KB, 692x394) Image search: [Google]
Science.png
58 KB, 692x394
Why do people believe in pseudoscience over scientific reason?

what pseudoscience disgusts you the most?

Inspired to make this thread because flatearthers are funny and there one on /x/ giving me a real laugh
>>
>>8147458
There is no real distinction between pseudoscience and science

When you realize this, it will all make sense

What matters is whether you can successfully implement the knowledge, e.g. whether you can make predictions with the knowledge. That is and always has been the marker of useful knowledge. We just apply the arbitrary signifier of "LE SCIENCE" to whatever works and "LE PSEUDOSCIENCE" to what doesn't. It's a big cultural meme and needs to end.
>>
File: science-pseudoscience.png (122 KB, 506x616) Image search: [Google]
science-pseudoscience.png
122 KB, 506x616
>>8147466
what was that?
>>
>>8147478
that chart is meme tier for people who can't into philosophical thought
>>
File: Karl_Popper.jpg (84 KB, 600x769) Image search: [Google]
Karl_Popper.jpg
84 KB, 600x769
>>8147466
I do believe that a Karl Popper would disagree.
>>
>>8147502
deflection is used when someone can't argue
>>
>>8147458
>what pseudoscience disgusts you the most?
psychometrics/IQ
evolutionary psychology
scientism or "how i can reduce all my understanding of the world into evolutionary advantages or scientific reasons"
eugenics
moral "facts" derived from science
>>
>>8147458
>Why do people believe in PS over Scientific Reason.
Because it's a whole lot easier, it reinforces presupposed and already held beliefs, it revels in a mystery as apposed to solving it so it stays exciting, it makes people feel good.
>What pseudoscience disgusts you the most?
It's a tie between Homeopathy and Creatardism, the former because people who could have survived a preventable/treatable disease will die because a quack has taken in them or their family members. The latter because unlike Homeopathy for the most part doesn't claim that all other medical science is worthless, while creatards have often told me that all science which goes against their conjecture is either wrong, or part of an active global international conspiracy to hide da troof, and they teach this to their kids and communities which leads to a mistrust of all sciences and this contributes to a population of poorly educated dogmatics who in turn can vote. I find the idea of people that stupid being able to make choices which could adversely effect my life and the life of my friends and family, as well as any children I may have in the future.
>>
>>8147505
Karl Popper is a hack and nobody really values his philosophy. Plus his entire writing about the scientific method was written to justify his hatred of Marxism and justification of "muh freedumbz markets", which is about as ideological and biased as you can get.
>>
>>8147508
You can show that many scientific revolutions were made using "pseudoscientific reasoning", and the solid reasoning for the discovery was made later. Basically all of Darwinian evolution was done this way, pretty much everything Darwin wrote was pseudoscience but overall the idea was correct. Happens all of the time.

Again, what matters is how useful the idea is, not in how reasoning came to the idea.
>>
>>8147651
In the end science uses reasoning and the scientific method to find thee truth PS ignores facts and observation all together so that people can weakly justify their dogmatic beliefs
>>
All of it frustrates me through & through but consciousness nonsense puts me on another level of mad.
>>
>>8147458
>what pseudoscience disgusts you the most?
Homeopathy
>>
What bugs me the most about pop science is anything to do with quantum physics. It is astounding the amount of people who heard about quantum physics and things like quantum tunneling and the collapse of the wave function and start believing in the power of the mind. Also, quantum cure.
>>
>>8147466
Lemme guess, you think inductivismis the foundation of scientific theory
>>
>>8147478
That can't be the definition of pseudoscience because all religion would fall under it
>>
>>8148893
Pseudoscience is rather the misuse (intentional or not) or the misunderstanding of the science methodology. It can became a religion on it's own given enough momentum.
>>
>>8147458

That many pseudoscientists claim to be scientifically valid, by cherry picking data and spreading misinformation, which has a negative impact on the public image of science as a whole.

This is especially relevant when it comes to healthcare, i.e. when a person stops taking HIV medication and switches to vitamin C, on the advice of a homeopath.
>>
>>8148893

All religion is pseudoscience.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.