[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does Math ever get enjoyable to do? I know I'm still in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1402055398127.gif (197 KB, 462x326) Image search: [Google]
1402055398127.gif
197 KB, 462x326
Does Math ever get enjoyable to do? I know I'm still in lower division math courses with Calc 3/Differential equations, but it's just not fun to do this stuff. I know when I get a job a computer is going to do the majority of he calculations for me anyway and I'll just be analyzing the data, but is there a point where it's not just mind numbingly remembering various theorems?
>>
>>8147345
>Does Math ever get enjoyable to do?
Depends on your interests.

>I know when I get a job a computer is going to do the majority of he calculations for me anyway
Depends on your job and the type of math involved.
>>
>>8147345
If you're getting a math degree, it's more of the same the whole way.

If you're in physics or engineering or something similar, you apply about 10% of it un rigorously. So that might be fun?

I enjoy teaching and analyzing. It's not the content I find enjoyable, but the interactions with other people and development of ideas.
>>
>>8147345
math got better after i took a introductory proof writing course.
>>
>>8147410
>If you're getting a math degree, it's more of the same the whole way.
Nope.

>>8147345
It gets better when you take algebra. Everything changes. If your school as an honors/regular choice, take the honors one.
>>
>>8147345
IMO, yes, past lower division meme math, it gets infinitely more interesting. Lower division is all about calculations for retarded engineers and other meme sciences. Upper division math is more interesting problem solving.

>>8147481
>It gets better when you take algebra.
This, abstract algebra is the funnest and most interesting class you'll take in math, assuming you're not mentally retarded.
>>
>>8147410
>If you're getting a math degree, it's more of the same the whole way.
Well you do memorize alot of theorems, but you don't see proofwriting at his level, and proofs can be interesting/fun if you're autistic enough for it.
>>
>>8147483
Don't forget that calculations are still important, though. In undergrad, you may start to think that you never need to do any real calculations in pure math, but the opposite is true.

Especially if you do anything like representation theory or computing spectral sequences or something, calculations are very important.
>>
>>8147345
Take your pedophile cartoons back to >>>/a/.
>>
>>8147345
Yes, once you stop being a jaded dumbass and spend your time exploring topics related to what you're learning instead of shitposting on /sci/.
>is there a point where it's not just mind numbingly remembering various theorems?
Yes, it's called relying on insight instead of memorization.
>>
Must depend on the person.

I'd argue it's always a joy, but I also know lot's of people who fear it.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.