[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did the ocean get there? I have always wondered such things.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: Clouds_over_the_Atlantic_Ocean.jpg (3 MB, 3755x2513) Image search: [Google]
Clouds_over_the_Atlantic_Ocean.jpg
3 MB, 3755x2513
How did the ocean get there? I have always wondered such things. Did it rain for many days, was the Earth formed with it, or did it melt off a meteor?
>>
>>8146733
40 days, actually
40 nights too
>>
One day it got a lot more cloudy than it used to be. The atmosphere was thick and rich, like the cum you swallowed last night.

Then it rained for a shit ton of years. Like thousands.
>>
File: mother nature spergs out.jpg (71 KB, 554x834) Image search: [Google]
mother nature spergs out.jpg
71 KB, 554x834
I think the Earth's surface started as 100% ocean, then underwater volcanoes jizzed out a load of molten rock which piled up above the surface, cooled down and made land.

It still happens to this day, so we actually have pictures of it. Pic related.
>>
>>8146733
Geology student here. I've seen 3 theories so far. The first two are probable, the 3rd was .......... weird.

First theory. Water came from icy bodies in space after the formation of the solar system. Especially during the Late Heavy Bombardment when Earth was hit by millions of comets and meteors which carry some ice and that ice was sublimated into the atmosphere on entry then coalesced into water when the Earth cooled.

Second theory. Water bearing minerals released water when the crust melts from plate tectonics. However plate tectonics requires water. Our theory of water formation from water bearing minerals requires plate tectonics to cycle (otherwise if the surface was still molten it would be too hot and the gaseous vapor would escape the early atmosphere).

Third theory. Bombardment of gases in the atmosphere by solar radiation broke apart methane and sulfur dioxide in the atmosphere which reformed into water. That one's pretty bananas but I have actually heard it before, so there you have it.

When we visited a comet recently and checked the water isotopes they did not match Earth's water. It may take time to generate a better theory but the question is not settled. Some 40% or more of water could still have come from space but then how did Earth's water form from the crust in the absence of plate tectonics? The question is an ongoing one in geology.
>>
>>8147372
Does #3 happen in any appreciable volume (despite lower concentrations of methane and sulfur dioxide) today? Both #1 and #3 could feed into #2.
>>
File: 0081730-00990-1-r.jpg (4 KB, 120x165) Image search: [Google]
0081730-00990-1-r.jpg
4 KB, 120x165
>>8146733
it was god's toilet it flushed over
>>
>>8147372

I understand that the idea of aliens or a grander designer is incomprehensible to you science types, but in the case of the ocean it is too baffling to not at least question some sort of magic must have been performed. Does anyone else realize how deep the ocean is starting from the top? It is very, very, very far down before you hit the surface. Isn't it but so convenient that enough gallons of water happened to be around to fill this canyon (by all accounts surpassing the Grand Canyon in depth) all at once? At some point the Earth was filled with water. Curious minds must inquire the origins of the ocean. I'm sure it holds a key to other stranger occurrences in the history of our planet's formation. It may lead to answers about why Mars is the way it is. Either way I don't buy it when people tell me to accept that "It's just there. Shut up." whenever I question the origins of our ocean. Something happened to put it there. We don't know. We don't know the origin of this thing that makes up over 50% of our planet's surface. That is terrifying.
>>
>>8146733
Giant vats of dinosaur urine.
>>
>>8147372
Why not all 3 at once?
>>
>>8146733
It's probably just dinosaur pee lol
>>
>>8147372
>Geology student here. I've seen 3 theories so far. The first two are probable, the 3rd was .......... weird.
> I do not like one model, so I call it weird

fucking undergrads
>>
>>8147372
>>When we visited

>we

I love that all of a sudden we are part of one big familly which does science each day
>>
At first I was shocked by all the shitpost responses, seemed like a pretty legitimate question.
But then...
>>8147428
>>
There's no fucking way the ocean was caused by rain
>>
>>8146733
An insane storm of so many clashing elements and chemical reactions happening at unimaginable speeds. A perfect combination of temperature and elapse of time. Maybe the Earth during one of its eras covered in just the right amount of glaciers just so happened to melt during some cataclysmic sized event happening to melt this ice either very rapidly or very slowly. This ice was probably composed of something else, something different from hydrogen and oxygen, perhaps earlier before the levels of those elements existed or before those elements even existed.

I mean is it crazy to think that there are theoretically historic elements that could have shaped the Earth? Elements that were destroyed through time.
>>
>>8146733
>planets form in accretion disk
>there's all sorts of shit on the accretion disk including water vapor
>some of it winds up in our orbital path
>the cooling earth spends the next billion years slamming into a cloud of water vapor again and again as it orbits the sun
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.