[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Nonty Hall Problem
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6
File: CBslmsvUgAA0o80[1].jpg (34 KB, 600x469) Image search: [Google]
CBslmsvUgAA0o80[1].jpg
34 KB, 600x469
The Nonty Hall Problem

>On a game show, a contestant was offered a choice of three doors. Behind one door was a car, behind the other two were goats.

>After the contestant had selected a door, Nonty opened a different door, revealing a goat. Nonty offered the contestant a chance to change his selected door to the other, unopened, door.

>Would a door switch have improved the contestants chances of selecting the door behind which a car was hidden?

This is not the Monty Hall problem. In the Monty Hall problem, the answer is “Yes, from 1/3rds to 2/3rds.” In the Nonty Hall problem, the answer is “No, there is a 50% chance of receiving a car no matter which of the two un-opened doors that is selected.”

Having already given you the answer to the game show question, the Nonty Hall problem is instead:

Can you recognize where the Nonty Hall problem is different from the Monty Hall problem? Why does it have different probable outcomes?
>>
>>8145655
sounds like bullshit you just made up
>>
The problem with all the trolls on 4chan is that I cannot just tell you "trust me" because I might be a troll, but... trust me? There really is a difference. You can find it with either a map of the outcomes or through explicit Bayesian updating.
>>
>>8145655
did the host know where the car was an always opens a goat door? - 1/3 to 2/3

did the host not know where the car was and opened a goat door by chance? - 1/2 to 1/2
>>
>>8145655
>In the Nonty Hall problem, the answer is “No, there is a 50% chance of receiving a car no matter which of the two un-opened doors that is selected.

No there is not, because in the Nonty Hall Problem, the faggot OP didnt fucking state that Nonty opened the door randomly, probably because the OP was too busy sucking dicks and thinking about how smart he was.

In actuality, there is not enough information in the Nonty Hall Problem to make an accurate determination, and OP is a faggot.
>>
Contestant chooses car by chance. Nonty reveals goat 1 by chance. Switching loses.
Contestant chooses car by chance. Nonty reveals goat 2 by chance. Switching loses.
Contestant chooses goat 1 by chance. Nonty reveals goat 2 by chance. Switching wins.
Contestant chooses goat 2 by chance. Nonty reveals goat 1 by chance. Switching wins.

By definition, there are no scenarios where Nonty reveals the car. This is treated as if it were a possibility, but also cause for a retry until no car is revealed.

Ergo 50/50.
>>
>>8145655
Yes, assuming the way you opened doors changed between problems, which is a key detail you admitted because "lel".

If you open doors randomly, and you open a dud door, then the odds are 50/50, but that's because 1/3 of the time you pick the wrong door and flip a car which guarantees you lose.
>>
>>8145767
You are really dumb.
>>
>>8145767
>>8145749

Yup, the change is in Nonty's algorithm. Bravo, one cookie.

>>8145758
>faggot OP didnt fucking state that Nonty opened the door randomly

First, get that cock out of your mouth it make you type like a faggot. Second, google "reasoning under uncertainty" and realize that "I have no knowledge of how he picked" and "he picked completely at random" are mathematically identical statements, so you actually had all the information all along.
>>
File: monty hall explained.png (99 KB, 1098x1397) Image search: [Google]
monty hall explained.png
99 KB, 1098x1397
For anyone who doesn't get the Monty Hall problem.
>>
>>8145814
relax autismo
>>
What ?
>>
>>8145941

What what?
>>
>>8145655
This is now a trolley thread
>>
File: monty.png (50 KB, 374x382) Image search: [Google]
monty.png
50 KB, 374x382
>>8145816
>>
File: 1239492.jpg (133 KB, 953x923) Image search: [Google]
1239492.jpg
133 KB, 953x923
wdyd
>>
>>8148344
Anime music it is, random or not, I do not even care.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VitTLbOvTwM
>>
File: 960.jpg (69 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
960.jpg
69 KB, 960x540
>>8148344
>gay ass anime song for faggots

>Somebody Once Told Me by All-Star

isn't it obvious?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.