[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
International math
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (475 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
475 KB, 2048x1536
Math tutors in education-obsessed South Korea literally making millions desu.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/in-education-crazy-south-korea-top-teachers-become-multimillionaires/2014/12/29/1bf7e7ae-849b-11e4-abcf-5a3d7b3b20b8_story.html?utm_content=buffer9b821&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
>>
Guilt free bump
>>
>>8145176
Good for the teachers to become millionaires. Bad for the students to have no life as anyone on 4chan should know something about.
>>
>>8145176

How come they barely outperform Japan and yet the Korean studies seem to much more hardcore?

I watched an entire documentary on the guy in Op's pic and then looked up their performance on global tests and they barely surpass Japan and Singapore. I view both Japan and Singapore students to be very lax in their studying.
>>
File: 1442767910889.jpg (67 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1442767910889.jpg
67 KB, 400x300
>>8145274
>Japan and Singapore
>lax in studying
Japanese tudents literally kill themselves at the highest rates on like, the planet. If you don't get into the right CRAM SCHOOLS when you're a child you are fucked. The Singaporean system is probably the same way, it was Richard Feynman I think who mentions that although a bunch of nations supposedly have fantastic marks, they are rote rote rote ROTE ROTE and the students can barely use the information, if at all. "Excellence" comes at a cost for the top countries, and it's usually that they're shit at functioning or burn their people.
>>
>>8145302
Funnily enough Korea actually overtook Japan in suicide years ago.
>>
>>8145302

so korea and Japan and all those other nations just teach the kids rote memorization?
>>
>>8145334
It's just the most popular excuse for being behind them.
>>
>>8145339

american public schools do the same thing.
>>
Japanese and korean exams are designer in a "plug and chuck" way. It really comes down to rote memorization and not any transfer exercises.
In germany for example most of them would fail without question because just memorization isn't cutting it there. They learn and apply their learning process to ace the standardised exams and most likely to get into a proper japanese University (Tokyo at best). You hast have one try to apply and doing the entrance-exam. So stress and dedication is rather high if you want to succeed.
>>
>>8145241
Studying memes is pretty hard desu.
>>
>>8145347
This.

It is all about test prep in America. Nothing else. Everyone I went to school with totally forgot pretty much everything they were taught a year later. Now 20 years later and they are basically complete morons when it comes to anything academic.
>>
>>8145419

european tests are no different to american ones.

You guys do not emphasis theory in math in high school.
>>
can anyone get us a japanese/korean/taiwanese/singaporean/main land chinese math test?
>>
>>8145629
for entry into my programme at imperial further maths a-level was a requirement. that means in "high school" we did:
>precalc
>integral and differential calculus
>basic linear algebra
>mechanics
>complex variables
>sequences/series (up to taylor series)
>>
>>8145641

sounds like what american students do as well.

the problem is do you go over theory?

I have a hard time believing that any high school student is expected to present evidence that he is at that level.

College yes, but not high school.
>>
>>8145641
In North America there are only 12 years of schooling (Ontario ended Grade 13 in 2002), and degrees take 4 years. So most people only get precalc and sequences/series assuming they are taking a university stream, Calculus courses are offered optionally to grade 12 students.
>>
>>8145274

If you have not real interesst in what you do, besides "I have to study", then you inevitably will get outperformed by autists who love this stuff. Memorizing shit all day through sheer force will do terrible things to your brain and it is no surprise that those people are often depressed and suicidal.

Working hard is important, but those people are beyond any reason. Do athletes train until their muscles snap? Of course not. Why should academic performers be any different?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.