[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What can you do with a science degree?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: DoctorMan.png (206 KB, 394x560) Image search: [Google]
DoctorMan.png
206 KB, 394x560
I liked Bio in highschool and college. Physics was good in highschool too, taking it again in college next semester. Chemistry came easy in highschool too, seemed to be the only one in class who knew what was going on, but i scored not-so-great on my final exam because I started slacking towards the end of the semester. Science was always my favorite subject, but I always ignored chem/bio majors because I didn't think there were any good job prospects besides being a doctor, which I'd like to be, but I'd never go to med school unless I wasnt paying for it, and thats gonna be hard to do coming from a low income family.
TL:DR; What are some good jobs you can get in th chem/bio field? And I guess I'd like to know how hard it would be to get a full ride through medical school?
>>
>>8144917

Don't go to medical school if you aren't 100% sure you want to do it because you will hate your life.

There are jobs in the field, but require MS or PhD. If you aren't into that, look into ChemE.
>>
>>8144917
Study engineering if you're concerned about salary
>>
>>8144940
Strays away bio/chem. Mostly math
>>
>>8144945
Well if you're really into bio/chem think about pharmacy? I heard its quite prestigious and well paying in the states, though its a shit tier degree where I'm from.

My friends who studied science degrees in uni all switched to teaching degrees (or did them post grad) or are in grad school to become eternal poor fags
>>
>>8144917
I'm kind of in similar situation with you. I'm almost set my mind to EE tho
My brother starts residency this july. He won't make much money for 4 more years and he has loans from paying med school. He will make mad cash but it's after a lot of dedication

Pharmacy may be a good option but it takes a lot of times as well. Either way I figured I'll never pay 8more years of education without getting loan and I was good in math Id take engineering instead
>>
>>8144952
Isn't the pharmacy job market very competitive at the moment?
>>
You can work completely outside of your field with a science degree, if that's something that interests you. A chem degree doesn't automatically mean you'll get funneled into chemistry as a career, unless you want it to.
>>
>>8145372
Let's be serious here. Every job market is very competitive.

Its shit tier in my country not because its very competitive, which is pretty much the case for every career path, but because they've become glorified shop assistants at this point with big pharmacy franchises killing smaller businesses. Personally I don't mind since I can buy cheaper drugs, but its bad news for pharmacists. The pharmaceutical manufacturing also doesn't exist here unlike in America.
>>
>>8144940

LOL!

only 20% of people who study actually become engineers the rest end up being low it cucks and maybe some low position in finance.
>>
>>8145497
So you think studying bio or chemistry pays more than engineering?
>>
>>8145504

I'm saying he should rather go for IT instead of doing engineering because that is where he will likely end up but he will be less qualified with an engineering degree and therefor earn less.
>>
File: 1460808418628.jpg (36 KB, 413x324) Image search: [Google]
1460808418628.jpg
36 KB, 413x324
>>8145511
Well OP asked about jobs you can get related to the chem/bio field and was concerned about the job prospects of a science degree.

It'd be kind of stupid to suggest him to do IT mate
>>
>>8145421

Yes. Pharmaceutical sales. Know a guy who only has a BA in Chem and does it. Lives in the same neighborhood as football players.
>>
File: 1449770116669.jpg (54 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1449770116669.jpg
54 KB, 640x480
>>8145511
>Engineering is a field you won't get to work in
>IT is
Are you sure you're not a poo in loo bitching that the internship wants you to be a citizen?
>>
>>8144923
Why anon? Why would you give up an opportunity for 300k starting?
>>
>>8146021

>300k starting

It's an MD, not PhD in Math.
>>
>>8144917
Medicine and medical research are huge fields right now that both need people who hold graduate degrees in some sense. That being said, there is more to both biology and chemistry than those specific fields.

For chemistry you have areas such as materials science, quality control, or chemical analysis, and in biology you have ecology, nutrition, or biotechnology.

This being said as >>8145886 said, your career can take you anywhere in real life. You may study biochemistry only to wind up doing marketing work for a biotech company. There's any number of doctors that wind up getting into politics because they got into medicine for the prestige, not the work. Don't limit yourself.
>>
>>8146072
This.

Patent Lawyers, Patent Agent, I know people who got PhD's in Physical Chemistry that work in finance, sales. teachers, technical writers, toxicologists, medical technologists, etc.

Don't limit yourself.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.