[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What exactly is this a map of? Why is it an oval?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: wmap_high.jpg (654 KB, 1200x600) Image search: [Google]
wmap_high.jpg
654 KB, 1200x600
What exactly is this a map of? Why is it an oval?
>>
>>8140955
It's an all sky map of the CMB. Use google.
>>
>>8140955
Its what the universe looks like from earth
>>
>>8140964
No it's not, unless you "look" with an extremely advanced and specialized microwave detector.
>>
>>8140969
Correct
>>
>>8140969
Which naturally is radically different from our extremely advanced and specialized visible light detectors in our heads.
>>
This map isn't even that informative. The main thing you care about is that the dark blue areas and the red areas actually represent very very minute variations in temperature.
>>
It's supposed to be a sphere that you're sitting inside of, it's stretched into an oval so you can see the whole thing at once. Since heat is the result of friction during motion, the greener parts are the parts of the universe that were moving more actively
>>
>>8141353
>very very minute variations in temperature.
how minute?
>>
File: images.jpg (19 KB, 318x159) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
19 KB, 318x159
If dat a sphere den dis mean owr world is flat at top n bottom.
>>
>>8141457
like 60 seconds
>>
>>8140955
Google is your friend btw... but in the interest of spreading some knowledge, its an oval shape because that projection preserves area, which is important in this case when one wants to know the average temperature (per unit area).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mollweide_projection
>>
>>8141457
like fucking google it in a minute
>>
>>8141496
>>8141505
>I have no idea myself, but any question in /sci/ gives me the opportunity to feel good about myself by smugly pointing out that the answer can be found via a popular search engine.

It’s 0.0002 degrees
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.