[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /sci/ i just wonder if anybody know if gallium can dissolve
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: 20160611_143840.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160611_143840.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
Hi /sci/ i just wonder if anybody know if gallium can dissolve in water because i just buy 40g and i melt it with hot water and it seem that the water is darker
>>
>>8136671
lel, why would you use hot water when you could merely palm the container and use body heat to melt it?
>>
And also some of the gallium seem to have formed little black grain is this gallium oxide
>>
>>8136676
It is a lot quicker
>>
>>8136681
use an external hot water bath, thereby avoiding contact between the water and the metal
>>
>>8136683
Why
>>
>>8136683
It's to late
>>
>>8136685
>Why
avoiding contact between the water and the metal

a) vial w/ gallium
b) beaker of hot water
c) partially submerge vial in hot water
d) melted gallium that never came into contact with the water
>>
>>8136689
Ok i will do that next time but can gallium create an oxide with water or dissolved in it
>>
>>8136687
>to [sic] late

lmao, I don't believe there are 40 grams of gallium in your initial pic.
did you fuck up with the rest of the sample?
>>
>>8136691
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gallium+oxide
>>
>>8136694
It 40 g the v=(pi ×(d/2)^2)×h
h=2.35cm
d=2cm
v=7.382
M=d×p
p=6.095
M=44.99
>>
>>8136700
These oxide look like white powder but my sample have black grain and they are formed at very high temperature
>>
>>8136700
I have also check the wikipedia page of the gallium element but in its metallic state it is not write if it c1n dissolve in water
>>
>>8136703
density of gallium is 5.9 g/cm^3
http://physics.nist.gov/cgi-bin/Star/compos.pl?matno=031

so 6.8 mL of gallium = 40 gm

I assumed the vessel in your pic was a 1 dram (~4 mL) vial. If that assumption was in error, that's on me, my mistake.
>>
>>8136710
I mesured it when it was in its liquid state so its densite was 6.095
>>
>>8136711
just to satisfy my curiosity, what is the volume of the vial?
>>
>>8136710
I will mesure its weight now because of the water that is darker i dont want to removve this water because i hope that the gallium will condensate and then when they will be no gallium in the water i will lesure it
>>
>>8136713
About 16cm^3
>>
>>8136714
lel, idgaf at this point
you're one or more of the following
a) full of shit
b) a total neophyte
c) a non-native speaker of English

just drop the UIUC nuclear reactor meltdown pasta and be done with it - chucklefuck
>>
>>8136719
C\ my english is very bad sorry
>>
>>8136719
And it seem that the gallium is a little soluble in wate , the water become darker after i shake the vial and after a fiew second it start to become more transparent but the on the top of the vial it look black like an oxide
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.