[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to win in this position?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: Othello.png (367 KB, 620x416) Image search: [Google]
Othello.png
367 KB, 620x416
Is it possible to win in this position?
>>
>>8136248
> thought this was go and black got wrecked
what are the rules of othello again?
>>
>>8136253

I don't know. Barely know how the game works myself. I played for two or three days several months ago. I always lost by a huge margin. Now all of a sudden I seem to have a shot at winning.

Although, I forget if the diagonals will change color if I place a chip on b1. I know the four white chips in the center of the first row will turn black, but that won't be enough to win.
>>
>>8136260
F2, brings it to 33 28
Computer will have no moves, so b1, computer will still have no moves, b2
>>
>>8136248
G2 and you won the game.
>>
>>8136269
>>8136268 here, meant G2, yeah.
>>
>>8136253
I think if I play b1, followed by g2, then I will be up by one point.

Oh and as for the rules, just verified that only chips between two row/column/diagonals change color. So b1 wasn't as strong as I was hoping, but it still might be possible to win.

Another problem remains though. Even though my opponent is currently out of moves, my next move may enable my opponent to make a move that gives him enough points to win the game. Nevertheless, I should get two moves to his one. So if I can reverse his reversal, then I may be able to win.
>>
>>8136272
You actually win regardless.
>>
>>8136272
Put on G2. Even if you opponent has a move, there's nothing he can do.
>>
>>8136248
I think you win if you get g2 whether it's this move otherwise I think it would be a tie
>>
>>8136248
People play othello? I know it's not solved on 8x8 but it seems too simple. I played a couple hundred rounds against AI in flash over the course of my life and got bored.

I've recently been learning chess (as in learning to not suck). I wanted to learn as a teen but got discouraged when the course I joined had people half my age that had been learning for six months and the instructor's teaching method was "ok play each other bye". I somewhat intend to learn Go eventually.

Any other games you all enjoy?
>>
>>8136283
Shogi is another strategy game I intend to play. I know most of the rules, but haven't played it yet. There aren't any clubs I could go to either.

Xiangqi is another game I intend to learn. They do have a club in China town, but it would be a hassle to get down there.
>>
>>8136274
I think there is only one permutation, and six combinations. Is this correct?
>>
>>8136309
Since there's no moves open for the computer, there's only one combination, but 6 permutations.
>>
>>8136317
Do you agree there is a single transposition and the final score is 34 to 27?
>>
>>8136325
I count 35-26, but there is only one possible score.
>>
So then e5 doesn't get converted?
>>
>>8136337
The fuck? Of course it doesn't. Why would it?
>>
It went differently than expected, but a win is a win I suppose. Nevertheless, I'm curious what was the best possible outcome.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.