[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
seeing as there's no health board or psychology board, you're
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: ocd.jpg (133 KB, 1023x513) Image search: [Google]
ocd.jpg
133 KB, 1023x513
seeing as there's no health board or psychology board, you're my next best hope.

Is pic related a chemical imbalance/serotonin deficiency or just cognitive behavioral abnormalities? for the longest time I try to justify it as the latter because I hate being a special snowflake but no amount of meditation has gotten me anywhere.
>>
>>8133872

>Let's ask /sci/ questions that haven't been solved, they sure know.

Christ I want this meme to end. If you want armchair psychologists to make up bullshit to answer your question you might as well go to Omegle and ask there.
>>
>>8133910
In a similar vein, let's not ask /sci/ how the universe was created, or how black holes work. gg mate.
>>
File: chaseapproves.png (88 KB, 330x417) Image search: [Google]
chaseapproves.png
88 KB, 330x417
>>8133872

Take SSRIs and compare results.
>>
>>8133941
ok
>>
>>8133872
I'm diagnosed OCD. The meds help but it's not just a chemical imbalance. SSRIs merely help.
>>
>>8133872
Those two conditions are the same thing
>>
>>8133916
>In a similar vein, let's not ask /sci/ how the universe was created
Yes please? Those are bait threads?
>>
>>8133872

there's literally nothing wrong with having ocd. they said i have ocd and aspergers because i don't have a job and count things all day, but literally, most of my depression was caused by the fact that I was fucking bullied my whole fucking life and it had nothing to do with counting things. i fucking love counting things. it doesn't make me fucking depressed, and I do not fucking do it because* I am depressed. i was only ever depressed when being bullied for enjoying doing things that illiterate apes take for granted. there is literally nothing wrong with counting things. i can survive if I need to. i dont work because i don't need to. plenty of money when i need it. i know how to survive i've also bummed it for years before i am choosing to be neet. some people NEED fancy fucking cars and "nice" lifestyles. i'm fine with what i have. i know plenty of people who are poor (they're mostly farmers) and are still able to provide for their families. besides, counting things is fucking useful. people are always asking for my help because i'm good at it. fuck everyone else who doubts me. there's nothing wrong with being different. there isn't a fucking pill for being different.

>>8133941

ssri's are the fucking devil and if you take them you are either

a. lazy
b. don't know what the actual problem is that is making you depressed

actual "chemical imbalances" caused by some kind of fucking mutation that makes the part of your brain that produces serotonin shrivel up and die are REALLY FUCKING RARE. most people do not have "chemical imbalances", they have unresolved problems in their life, were abused, etc.
>>
>>8134759
>he doesn't know that SSRI's are used for OCD even in the absence of depression
>>
>>8133941
>>8134759
SSRI do not work by restoring a chemical imbalance since if that was the case it would not take weeks to see an effect but we do know they work and it seems to be by providing a neurogenic effect on the hippocampus which is shrunk in those with depression.

I don't know much about OCD but you >>8134759 don't know shit peroid.
>>
>>8134759
In addition to the ocd and aspie, you seem to have some anger issues as well. I don't necessarily disagree with anything you said here, but the anger can consume you if you aren't careful.
>>
>>8134759

that's not how SSRI's work famalam

>people without depression have normal serotonin
>people with depression often have low serotonin

we're not saying that they have depression because of low serotonin, in fact a lot of neurotransmitter levels just change with the circumstances around an animal, for example depending on it's social status

the idea is to give the brain non-depressed levels of serotonin and thus make it act as if it wasn't depressed, for example through the neurogenic effect mentioned above, which will help the patient be less depressed

pretty sure medication has roughly the same solution rate as therapy, both hovering 50-ish, so it's not like the idea is unfounded either
>>
Hey bud, ocd is definitely a serotonin deficiency from most of the studies done on it. Does have some overlap with a dopamine excess as well considering how related it is to Tourette's. General treatment is exposure and response prevention (erp) for first line. Then ssri if that fails (prolly venlafaxine). If u have a really terrible case, cingulotomy is the last line treatment.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.