[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Things that pisses you off about the general public
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 48
On social media:

> E.g. Some science page on Facebook says that there are plans to mine the moon in an article.

> Middle aged admin assistant from Tennessee: "What if the moon falls out the sky? Why don't scientist think of that, huh?"

> Some smug guy (for some reason usually Indian): "Maybe humans should stop destroying this planet before going mining others"
> Someone points out that no life grows on the moon
> Guy #2 "Excuse me, how do you know there is no life on the moon? I have a degree in forestry management, I am an expert on these matters"

> Walmart cashier: "Huh! Silly humans, caring about rocks in outer space. I'm so enlightened through all the inspirational quotes I share form Mind Unleashed"
>>
>>8123750

Me just being a judgemental cunt but:

> When I see someone with dreadlocks and a bindi claim they "read about quantum physics".

Maybe one day I'll find one who actually knows about QED and not just "LSD and Terence McKenna maaaann..."
>>
>>8123750
Nice blog, something else on your mind?
>>
>>8123750

> Be at aunts house
> Talk about how I'm studying geophysics
> "Why don't you restart your course and do medicine so you can find the cure for cancer"
> ..."sigh"...she means well
>>
>>8123774
Well, why don't you, you selfish prick?
>>
>>8123780

> Implying it's that simple
> Elements and hydrocarbons used in synthesis of drugs and used in medical tracers need to be found in the earth, hence I may well be doing my bit indirectly
>>
>>8123774

>single mother has gossipy friends
>they ask me what ill be doing at uniersity
>"engineering"
>oh.. and what kind of job will you get with that?

I just side step and say business or manufacturing work
>>
>>8123797
>Elements and hydrocarbons used in synthesis of drugs and used in medical tracers need to be found in the earth

Go ahead and tell yourself that
>>
>>8123750
Media sensationalism before peer review has even taken place. Fuck "news" the fucking vultures will do anything for clicks.
>>
Thank you for posting this
>>
There should be some way for FB to block comments from people without 1) degrees 2) degrees not in STEM
>>
>>8123807
>"engineering"
You should lie and say something else, they might try and marry you to their sons otherwise you flaming faggot.
>>
>>8123880

Go ahead and tell me a more efficient way of creating hydrocarbon.

Will the grease in your fedora suffice?
>>
>>8124193

I'm new to /sci/ but why do people seem to have a problem with engineers?
>>
>>8124784
because despite all the modern marvels of engineering, they still haven't engineered a way to get themselves to stop sucking cocks all the time.
>>
how scientifical
>>
>>8124953

I mean I get that the clichè engineer is just a mild-mannered, gortex fleece wearer who listens to a lot of safe classic rock, like Boston, but they are surely harmless, aren't they?
>>
File: CK M6 suite_patient.jpg (134 KB, 1600x978) Image search: [Google]
CK M6 suite_patient.jpg
134 KB, 1600x978
>>8123774
medfags will be blown the fuck out so hard, they will never know what hit them
>>
>>8124981
What the fuck. I'm an engineer and you just described my clothing and music preferences perfectly.
>>
>>8124953
yet they engineered the whole educated world to accept and even cherish cocksucking

>>8124981
winners are hated and water is wet
>>
File: witch-09.jpg (401 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
witch-09.jpg
401 KB, 1440x1080
>>8123750
>At work
>There's a hole in the ground
>Someone starts yelling at me because I planted trees 6 months earlier and I must have caused this new hole on the other side of the grounds from my trees
>Other people make up stories about a dog coming at night and digging the hole
>Another person blame iguanas for digging the hole
>I turn almost purple explaining to these idiots with their stupidity, paranoia and shitty theories that IT'S NOT ME, TREES, DOGS OR FUCKING IGUANAS IN THE NIGHT.
>I explain that a fucking pipe from the sprinkler system broke, and the water eroded the hole in the morning before everyone got there.

Here I am using a little observation and thought, seeing broken PVC pipes and an old shitty busted pump in the ground and I'm able to explain what's going. Meanwhile all my co-workers, most of them college educated, can't figure it out.

It was embarrassing. I felt like Sherlock fucking Holmes among the invalid and retarded.
>>
>>8124784
Engineers have jobs. Jobs in their field that pay actual money.
>>
>>8123750
>guy I know who dropped out of high school and sells weight loss shakes in Facebook shares article about why it's possible for laypeople to become astronauts.
>>
>>8125005
>most of them college educated

>work in office, all smart, coming from great universities, >50% has PhD etc
>toilets are never flushed properly, brown stains everywhere

college not means shit
>>
>>8123807
They want to marry off their daughters to you, and are trying to gauge your level of commitment

>t. Engineering student who has had 3 families try to introduce me to their daughters after learning what I was doing
>>
>>8125019
Are there a lot of Indians at your workplace?

I was in an internship at a company with a lot of them, after a month or so I realized they never wash their hands after taking a dump.

I've always been kind of reluctant to shake one's hand since then
>>
>>8125019
People in my halls shit on the seat. I fail to understand how someone can function away from home if they become confused at the sight of a toilet.
>>
>>8125029
nope, it is a yuropean office, 100% white

once I heard a story it is because some guy got butthurt about a cleaning lady he refuses to flush, but don't really believe it
>>
>>8124989

Seriously dude? haha

You do get a lot of engineers like that
>>
>>8125062
Are we really that predictable?
>>
>>8124186
>blocking 93% of the worlds inane babble
Sounds really nice
>99%
Heaven
>>
>>8125076
It takes a special kind of personality to want to sit down at a computer for hours on end generating reports on the environmental impact of installing a cantilevered ceiling.
>>
Ooh, this is still going!
>>
>>8124784
they're gay
>>
"What are you studying anon?"
>Geology
"Oh Geography! I did that in high school... It was really easy!!!!
Ignus, metamorphose and sediment rocks!"

I just let it slide now.
>>
>>8123750
More than I can list.

I stopped being rustled by the general public when I shut myself in from it.
>>
>>8124186
>>8125156
you guys realize you can already do this, right? just tap the little x in the top left corner, you fucking idiots
>>
>>8123807
>So, Anon, what's your major?
>"Engineering"
>Oh, okay.
They then proceed to walk off to go talk for two hours to the relative who's going to law school. I silently creep back to the kitchen to gobble all of the cocks.

Happens every single family event
>>
>>8125167
That's not even the worst kind.

Geotechnical Engineers are the most autistic people of all time. Mention "dirt" instead of "soil" to their face and watch them have a fucking seizure
>>
>>8123774
Tell her you are trying to find a cure for earthquakes.
>>
>>8123750
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: images.jpg (10 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10 KB, 259x194
>>8123750
Anon...bruh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdHTnpgpLDc
>>
>>8127638
What are you studying
>Geology
Oh are you going to work for an oil company?!
>I doubt it
Lot of money in oil, anon

Thanks for the tip second cousin once removed. I'll keep that in mind.
>>
>>8127958
hahahah, every time
>>
>>8127967
They always either wander off after that or since I live in California they follow up with the classic, "So when is the big one coming?"

What am I a fucking wizard? The guys working at SAFOD don't have a fucking clue, what do I know. It's coming say your prayers move far away from me.

It only gets worse when they tell me they saw San Andreas, don't get me wrong I loves that movie, laughed so hard my ribs hurt, but realizing that is what the public thinks geology and earthquakes are like...fucking horrifying.

We need to measure magnetic anomaly of this previously unmapped fault. Where should we do it...inside the motherfucking Hoover dam!
>>
>>8127788
holy shit i can relate to this SO MUCH
>>
>>8123774
Tell her there aren't enough grants to hire another researcher.
>>
>"you're a quantum physicist? cool, wanna hear my theory?"
>something something retarded bullshit
>"your theory doesnt hold anything if you dont show the math"
>"cant you just do that for me?"
AAAAAAHHHHH
>>
>psychologist
>the amount of people who believe that every single individual on the planet is the exact same in beliefs, ideals, opinions, upbringings, essentially the same nature and nurture across all 7+ billion of us
>the amount of people who lack basic understanding of statistics and have never once encountered the term "outlier" in their existence
I'll leave it at that for now.
>>
>>8128088
you tell people you're a quantum physicist? Why don't you actually say what you do.

>you're a particle physicist? What does that mean?
>I basically just stare at my screen wondering why my code doesn't work.
>>
>>8128125
>psychologist

sorry friend this is a board for the discussion of science and math
>>
>>8127942

> She believes in psychics, even as far as "Star Psychic Sally Morgan" who literally reads the latest gossip mags for info on dumb D-list celebs, then reels of info to them like see used her "powers" for it and not Google.
> Yeah she ain't a bright person
>>
>>8128372

Christ my spelling her is autistically bad
>>
>>8123750
Just cringe
>>
>>8127788
Your relatives are stupid, so what?
In all history of mankind engineers have been the basis of progress.
No engineers -> no lawyers or economists necessary.
>>
>>8128125
>psycologist
>science
kek
>>
>>8128395
>In all history of mankind engineers have been the basis of progress.
>No engineers -> no lawyers or economists necessary.
I know you're proud of finishing your first year of your engineering degree, but this is just incredibly stupid.
>>
>>8128186
>>8129325
Attacking a relevant post with irrelevant shit. Goodjob
>>
File: 1455651070531.jpg (37 KB, 413x435) Image search: [Google]
1455651070531.jpg
37 KB, 413x435
>>8127638
>Oh, so you study rocks?
>Look at this shell collection!
>>
>>8129748
The best part is I actually have a large, and growing, rock collection that no one except for me and other rock people care about.

I think my 3mm stibnite veins in hydrothermally altered diorite from an epithermal "region" is pretty rad.
But people only care that I found gold in it.
One day, this field is going to make me rich senpai. Just got to learn more before I buy it.
>>
the word "social media" pisses me off.

people nowadays need euphemisms for "wasting time on facebook, instagram, twitter" and they call it social media.
>>
>>8129782
got any sexy feldspar?
>>
>>8124784
They are all cock thirsty homos.
>>
>>8128125
It's ok anon. Soft science is still science.

Kind of.
>>
>>8123757
made me kek hard
>>
>>8123750

More of something that I found funny than made me mad:

> In a North Western English town called Leigh. Those of you unfamiliar with Leigh may wish to read the picture as it describes the town perfectly.
> Cycling through to pick up some stuff (forget what exactly)
> Weird ginger tramp with a pocket amp attached to his belt is walking up and down the high street giving a speech
> "Eeeeh they talk about evolution these scientists, they talk about evolution and they come up with some new-fangled idea just so they get a prize and they everyone says "Eeeh, aren't they good", and they feel all good about themselves then go home"

> In Leigh, scientific enquiry is based around feeling smug and prizes.
>>
>>8129794
Not by itself, no. Just as much as you can find with a short walk.
>>
> Some smug guy (for some reason usually Indian): "Maybe humans should stop destroying this planet before going mining others"
These ones really give me the shits, although it tends to more often be women in my experience.

>baww maybe we should just keep feeding third worlders instead of permanently solving the problem of Earth having finite resources
This is basically the argument.
>>
>>8129782
I know the feeling. People see my collection, "what's this one", oh that one has great kinematic indicators in it! " huh?
>>
>>8130067
It's fine of they don't know what that means, the test is always if they care to learn (listen to me explain).
>>
File: DSC_0002.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0002.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
Post rocks?
>>
File: DSC_0003.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0003.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
And this
>>
When people think they understand a science subject.

I seriously had to listen to a woman saying that cocaine and morphine were synthetic drugs and therefore more harmful and addictive than other types of drugs.
Her reasoning? She quoted a wikipedia article saying that chemicals are used in the extraction process of the drugs.
Chemicals are used. That was her reasoning.
>>
>>8123780
As if doctors are the ones finding cures to diseases....
>Pro tip: it's mostly not
>>
>>8130277
This. Many doctors invest massive time and money into becoming pill pushers for pharmaceutical companies and making mad dosh from all parties involved.

A truly noble cause.

Of course, there are exceptions, but the important part is it doesn't automatically make you selfless.
>>
>>8123757
yep
>>
>>8130274
>Chemicals are used. That was her reasoning.
You seem surprised. Do you not hear this shit every day? The general public is very uneducated.
>>
>>8130283
Actually I kind of meant that it's more likely that someone who studied molecular medicine would be the one to find the cure to a disease rather than a doctor.
>>
>>8130299
Yes, I do hear this every day. Why do you think I'm so bothered by it? It makes me kind of feel surrounded by idiots, that I just want to punch the forehead in on.
>>
>>8130202
>>8130226
Now I'm sad my collection is all boxed up since I'm moving soon.
>>
These people don't deserve consciousness.
>>
>facebook

REEEEEEEEE
>>
File: Einstein_14x48.jpg (125 KB, 1600x464) Image search: [Google]
Einstein_14x48.jpg
125 KB, 1600x464
literally saw this on a billboard.

>geniuses can be dumb at first, right??
>>
File: forced-smile.png (106 KB, 252x270) Image search: [Google]
forced-smile.png
106 KB, 252x270
>>8131291
GENIUS CAN BE LEARNED
IQ IS MEME
HARD WORK > RAW INTELLECT
EFFORT > TALENT
MULTIPLE INTELLIGENCES
>>
>>8124780
UHH HOW ABOUT PLANTS U FAGET
>>
>>8123757
nailed it
>>
>>8130274
whew, as a Biochemist, this rustles my jimmies
>>
>>8130202
pretty sad breh im a biologist and i have a much bigger and better rock collection than you

though its not really fair since if i wanted i could get a PhD in geology in like 2 years because i have a natural talent

anyways try harder your embarassing
>>
>>8131291
>masters calc at 15
>didn't do well in school

how does this meme keep happening
>>
File: 2af.jpg (231 KB, 960x686) Image search: [Google]
2af.jpg
231 KB, 960x686
>>8127788
>Dat feel when most of your relatives are scientist or engineers
>>
>>8131135
What makes you think they have it?
>>
>>8130202

OP here (Geophysics student).

Damn those are some lovely rocks. The Amethyst is really pretty.

>>8130226

What's this?
>>
>>8131352

Ah well fuck it, I'm still doing geophysics to make bare wedge
>>
>>8131359
This guy is baiting right?
It's so hard to tell these guys.
>>
>>8131359
ya well i have sex with your significant other while you are out of the house
>>
>>8132066
The second one is brecciated rock from a silicic vein. Quartz precipitation after pressure blew up the surrounding area results in these beautiful crystals in vapour spaces. There's gold in there as well, visible in thin section. But the bulk is in other samples.
I have a few hundred from the region, mostly in the lab. But it's an epithermal system.

I have some much better ones I'd like to post later if I can find them.
>>
File: Buttery goodness.jpg (65 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
Buttery goodness.jpg
65 KB, 512x512
it personally rustles my jimmies that people don't know the difference between genetically modified and transgenic organisms, and are terrified of them all.

>>8127958
happens to me a lot.
in fairness, I'm going to uni smack dab in the middle of oil country....

>>8129748
if those shells haven't been buried in the ground for millions of years first, I ain't interested.
>>
>>8129932
Wazza represent
>>
>>8132337
I go to school in the middle of liberal gay sin world capital, Bay Area, but it's still all people can think to ask.

>>8131359
Biotard trying to bait
>>
>Civil engineering student
>"Haha what a fag, you should've went mechanical. That's where all the money is!"

I just wanna smash concrete ;_;
>>
>>8134162
engineers have gotten so gay they literally want to fuck concrete now
>>
>>8132352

Poor Warrington. Back in the mists of Time you were part of Lancashire too...
>>
File: 1450286808720.jpg (90 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
1450286808720.jpg
90 KB, 650x366
>what do you do in discrete math?
>stuff like combinations and graph theory
>Oh graph theory! we did that in high school, y=mx+c!
>>
Given the dubiousness of psychology as a science there's a lot of the more utilitarian findings in the field that I find the general public completely ignorant of.
>>
>>8127638
Rock slide
>>
File: 1600 (2).jpg (170 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
1600 (2).jpg
170 KB, 1600x900
>Prayer works!
>Psychiatry is a science!
>You have to prove I'm wrong!
>Circular logic is logic!
>Thought-terminating cliches are for checkmates!
>Straw man attacks are legitimate!
>So everyone is wrong about this?!
>That's just your opinion!
>Personal attacks disprove people's points!
>Analytical fallacies? I don't know what those are.
>My political party is always right! I'm not biased!
etc.
>>
>Anon, you study physics don't you?
>Have you read this book, The Secret?
>It's like, we are all waves, if you think positive and positive things will happen to you. It's about quantum mechanics and matrices and stuff
>you should read it!
>y-yeah
>>
File: yeah.jpg (77 KB, 476x593) Image search: [Google]
yeah.jpg
77 KB, 476x593
>>8127638
>>8123807
>>8127788
>>8128088
Are you all american?

>>8131342
>I need to study this calculus shit, what a pain!
>just study the questions, man!
>just study what are they going to ask you, man!
>just forget about past errors, and don't try to have a solid base knowledge, man!
>You are going to have great marks!
>>
File: feelsgoodman.webm (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
feelsgoodman.webm
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>8123757
>tfw you have dreadlocks and a physics degree
>>
>>8123774
she is right you retarded rock knocker
>>
>>8124186
>le everybody without a degree is stupid meme
>>
>>8128005
some people just want to have a conversation despite not knowing much about your expertise
>>
>>8135028
This. Just take the thread with a piece of humor.
>>
File: 1465402468828.jpg (84 KB, 324x250) Image search: [Google]
1465402468828.jpg
84 KB, 324x250
>>8123750
For me, it's the rampant militant anti-intellectualism in "normie" society. Not that I'm a Neumann, but most normies are stuck on a 4th grader level of knowledge. A good 90% of people haven't the slightest idea of how the world works and what is beyond the city they live in. STEM, geography and history are unfathomable for them, beyond what children's popsci shows tell them. And if you try to explain to them anything, even in the most friendly manner, they get aggressive and start to justify their ignorance with "who needs this" "why should I care" etc. This is especially true for alpha males/females, who would very often get physically aggressive and hold grudges when their uninformed opinions are challenged, since it challenges their "leadership" position. The only thing that saves me is that I'm 6'3 210lb.

The second thing would be people having aggressive uninformed opinions on different matters. It really ticks me off on a deeper level.
>tfw I saw two international relations students yesterday trying to melt metal shavings with citric acid, and got hostile when I told them they were retarded
>>
>>8135035
This is what your state wants. Learn to redirect your complains, faggot.
>>
>>8135035
something tells me you are just a condescending annoying brick
>>
>>8135056
>immediate ad hominem
Typical subhuman argument. That's what I was talking about.
>>
File: 8691615.gif (2 MB, 286x186) Image search: [Google]
8691615.gif
2 MB, 286x186
>>8130274
>>
>>8135060
that wasnt an ad hominem, you retard
It was the explanation why people behave so strange towards you. It is because they dont like you
>>
>>8135060
So, reddit still thinks every insult is an ad hominem?
adorable
>>
>>8135060
>Typical subhuman argument
condescending annoying brick confirmed
>>
File: 2342342352.jpg (660 KB, 3192x2124) Image search: [Google]
2342342352.jpg
660 KB, 3192x2124
>>8135070
>reply containing "you are"
>condescending annoying brick
>not an ad hominem
Anyways, I don't voice my disaproval most of the time. Just saying what happens when I do.

>>8135070
>>8135071
>>8135073
>in cluster of 1 minute apart
>not samefagging
pic related
>>
The way people are so desperate for a "miracle diet" that all research about food has become clickbait; trying to get some real facts and advice about nutrition has become like finding the right download button on a shitty webpage, all information contradicts each other and you can find a study that confirms pretty much anything about any food

By now the most scientific way of making decisions on your eating habits is paradoxically "do what feels right", because you sure as hell won't find any reliable information around
>>
>>8135081
>i'm not asking why people are like that
>i'm just complaining
KEK
>>
>>8135192
> "miracle diet"
Well, we do have this...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2,4-Dinitrophenol
>>
>>8135022
Yes, not pursuing an education does mean you are uneducated
>>
File: Knife-chan.webm (132 KB, 244x608) Image search: [Google]
Knife-chan.webm
132 KB, 244x608
>what do you study
>chemistry
>they either reply with breaking bad or something about poisoning the planet
>>
My mom is one of these people sadly.
>we are all part of the quantum field >everything is energy
>therefore I can feel auras and my thoughts influence reality

She has this alternative doctor that has a machine that measures her vitamin levels by measuring "the electromagnetic energy field" she gives of. When I told her it's bogus she replied that the guy is trustworthy because he had a degree in STEM like me, turns out he has a bachelor's in computer science.

It makes her happy though.
>>
My dad is half on board with the alternative medicine shills

>claim food is less nutritious now than 1000 years ago
>modern food causes cancer, AIDS, death, autism, etc
>medication only treats symptoms and not the disease
>we're all sick. ignore the fact that we're living longer than ever before

He means well. And he listens to me when I tell him what I know about this stuff since I'm a Biotechnology major

At least he's taking his vitamins
>>
>>8135035
>"who needs this" "why should I care" etc.
This, trying to explain why I was studying physics after they specifically asked me.
Why would I care how the world works if I know how to tie my shoes? Its is of no use. It doesnt make sense.
>>
My dad keeps bitching about the moon landing. He says we could go but we wouldnt come back because we would need to much fuel.
>Dad, there is a fucking mirror in the moon surface.
>>
>it's just a theory

This makes me the mad.
>>
>>8135035
>This is especially true for alpha males/females, who would very often get physically aggressive and hold grudges when their uninformed opinions are challenged
Really? Does this happen in America?
I've never observed such uncivilized behaviour. You'd have to taunt them or something for a while for them to get physically aggressive, but to just challenge their uninformed view of the world? Unless we're talking about some type of actual retards, I find that hard to believe.
>>
File: ApolloEnergyRequirementsMSC1966.png (2 MB, 1656x1284) Image search: [Google]
ApolloEnergyRequirementsMSC1966.png
2 MB, 1656x1284
>>8136567
He's probably been misinformed about the fuel needed to return from the Moon or figured it was the same as from leaving the Earth. It takes a big rocket to go all that distance in the first place so surely it would take a big one to come all the way back, right? That's how cars and boats and planes work, so those people feel it applies to space too since they simply don't know any better.
>>
>>8125016
well any lay person with disgusting amounts of money probably could.
>>
>>8128005
There's a pretty good norwegian distaster movie called The Wave that might interest you as a geologist
>>
>>8127955
>dat KH music
legit made my day
>>
File: lighten-up.jpg (61 KB, 760x850) Image search: [Google]
lighten-up.jpg
61 KB, 760x850
>>8123750
>Some science page on Facebook
Lighten up, Francis.
>>
>>8123750
>microwave ovens poison your food because its radiation
>vaccines cause autism
>GMOs are literally satan
>you should only eat raw vegan
>homeopathy can cure cancer
>this diet is gonna be so good and i'm gonna lose all this weight on it while not changing anything else in my lifestyle
so many things
I hate everyone
>>
File: 1411624371693.jpg (541 KB, 1442x2560) Image search: [Google]
1411624371693.jpg
541 KB, 1442x2560
>"oh so you study physics ?"
>proceed to say retarded things about quantum physics

everytime
>>
>>8135469
Degrees are no longer an objective way to measure someone's education though. There's already so much knowledge you find on books and the internet.

The hard part is being self-taught.
>>
>>8125024
Shit son, I got offered this MILFs 17 year old daughter knowing jack shit about me.
>>
>>8131379
I'm glad someone else said it first.
>>
>>8135012
>haha we Europeans are so smart and all Americans are DUMB LOL XD

fuck off, I'm Swiss but this stupid shit is just cringeworthy. people here say retarded shit all the time too.
>>
>>8136810
that shit is annoying, it seems like everyone and their mother has read some article on quantum mechanics and likes to talk about it when they don't even know anything about it
>>
The fact that I simply cannot argue with them because none of them understand basic logic.

>but my son learned that in high school!
>but omg just do a google search it will tell you

I sometimes try to discredit their fallacious argument by restating the same argument but for my side.

>And I learned something different in college

But because they are uneducated, they are unable to pick up on what I am doing. I avoid arguing with normies at all costs, not only is their no convincing them (which isn't the issue imo), but they are all so close-minded and don't realize it.
>>
File: 1432402290546.png (237 KB, 500x480) Image search: [Google]
1432402290546.png
237 KB, 500x480
People who do/did a shitload of hallucinogenics and go off on how they've figured everything out.
>dood one consciousness lmao
People who buy into eastern philosophy or reject science can go fuck themselves too.
>>
>>8136586
>You'd have to taunt them or something for a while for them to get physically aggressive
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what he's doing, he sounds annoying as fuck
>>
>>8124784
We don't. Somebody has to drive the trains.
>>
File: Fidel disapproves.jpg (16 KB, 260x382) Image search: [Google]
Fidel disapproves.jpg
16 KB, 260x382
>>8134856
>y=mx+c
>mx+c
>c
>not b
What a bunch of plebeians.
>>
>>8135081
you are an asshat = not ad hominem
you are wrong BECAUSE you are an asshat = ad hominem.
>>
>>8135081
>there cant be possibly be more than one person that thinks Im a cunt
reddit pls leave
>>
"CHEMICALS"

I hate how this word seems to become synonymous with "poison"
>>
>>8138745
This 100%.
I love my dad but every time we go to eat he talks about having to get the least amount of chemicals in his food. Whatever that means.
>>
>back home from another psych semester
>mind fried with statistics and neurology
>parents have friends over
>wife: "OH! I better not talk too much then."
>husband: "So you think everyone wants to fuck their mom?"
>>
>psychology student
>get talked shit at because of something a psychiatrist did
>get talked shit at because 'antidepressants are poison'
>can't go to a party without anybody telling me about their problems
>>
>>8138727
>>8138736
>2 days later
>5 minutes apart
I'm sure 2 unrelated strangers waited 2 days and came in the exact same time to shitpost with the exact same void content. At least wait some time before samefagging.
>>
>chemistry PhD student

most popular answers

"oh....so what do you do with that?"
"Oh, so what do you do at school then [explanation starts].....uh huh, uh huh, ok anon no one knows what you are talking about"
>"so you're gonna be a doctor?? hey, ive got a problem with my [body part], can you do something about that?"

its really just lonely to be honest. no one can appreciate what you do and no one ever will. part of the reason i come here is just to lurk while people talk about chem. it makes me happier.
>>
File: 42-HamtaroWorryS.png (1 KB, 128x112) Image search: [Google]
42-HamtaroWorryS.png
1 KB, 128x112
>>8134917
Feelings are more important than logic, don'tcha know?

>>8135035
Trying to engage people on a basic critical level is like walking through a sea of Faberge eggs balanced on pins while wearing clown shoes.

>Hey, I read your paper like you wanted, but I noticed that you italicized a random word in almost every single sentence for no apparent reason and repeatedly used several words incorrectly.
>I LET YOU READ IT FOR FREE, YOU CAN'T CRITICIZE IT, IT'S NOT LIKE I'M SHAKESPEARE ALSO I WAS DRUNK WHEN I WROTE IT LOL WHY DO YOU EVEN CARE ABOUT HOW GOOD IT IS, IT'S JUST A PAPER IT DOESN'T EVEN MATTER THAT MUCH

I don't understand the "you didn't pay for it, so you can't critique it" mindset, but the person in question in that instance was a freshman English major so I don't know what I expected. The thing that always gets me is them getting mad and then accusing the person they're talking to of being mad as if they're trying to validate their own anger by thinking that the other person is upset.

I also don't understand the cultural worship of mediocrity. There is nothing more in this world I despise than people who makes no effort to improve themselves.

>>8136482
I don't know what you're on about, I get all my medical advice from CompSci majors.
>>
>>8139485
>>8135081
>>8135035
>>8139542
(You)
>>
File: 55dd83b91206a.jpg (48 KB, 762x450) Image search: [Google]
55dd83b91206a.jpg
48 KB, 762x450
>>8139559
(You)
>>
>be an ER scribe
>doctor I work for says she brought home over $500,000 last year

Why aren't you pre-med, /sci/?
>>
>>8135035
Can confirm. I've seen this attitude a lot among brainlets. It's like they are proud of their ignorance.
>>
>>8136775
My nigga. You and me both!
>>
>>8138745
This.
>>
>>8139562
I am. She's a liar.
>>
File: 20120909.gif (366 KB, 612x3658) Image search: [Google]
20120909.gif
366 KB, 612x3658
>>8135469
education is a system of imposed ignorance.
>>
File: 1456585852-20160227.png (171 KB, 684x864) Image search: [Google]
1456585852-20160227.png
171 KB, 684x864
>>8136775
>vaccines cause autism
>>
>>8139713
>college doesn't make you smart
I don't get this meme. I've only finished two years of my undergrad and I feel 100% smarter already. I have practical skills in my field and I think a lot differently and maturely than I used to

Who are the people saying this stuff and what kind of school do they go to?
>>
>>8136580
It's just a theory bro. Don't take it so seriously. It's just a theory
>>
>>8139744
Education =/= intelligence
>>
>>8130226
This is a rainbow Brazilian thunder egg. It isn't mine, mine is way cooler, but it looks kinda like mine. I got it in an auction for 20$.
>>
>>8139757
... A GAME THEORY
>>
>>8135469

knowledge =/= intelligence

see me after class, kiddo

;)
>>
>>8139789
>>8139811
Level of education correlates highly with standardized tests which measure faculties associated with intelligence.

We have to stop this meme, or else smart but edgy teenagers will never experience a challenging climate we we'll lose brain resources.
>>
>>8139806
>rainbow Brazilian thunder egg
they sell those down at venice beach for like 2 dollars USD
>>
>>8123757

i live with a dude with dreadlocks, wears hippie pants, smokes weed, takes acid....doing his PhD in computational genomics
>>
File: mt stupid.gif (32 KB, 500x664) Image search: [Google]
mt stupid.gif
32 KB, 500x664
>>8136810
>>
>>8138774
>Economics student

>"So, is this whole mess going to be fixed soon?"
Recovery is slow, but consider this is not that much of a mess if you consider the whole...
>"Hurry up, I need an income raise and a new car"

>"Oh I always knew (insert Political ideology you hate here) would put us into this mess because (insert fallacy watched on TV last night). Am I not clever by identifying the bad guys?"
Well, reality is more complex than that, you see
>"If you don't say my ideology is right you stop being my friend. If you say I am right I will use your name to present my simplistic point of view as correct to everyone."

>"Tell me in what company I should invest all of my money lmao I'll turst you on this one but don't make me lose ok"

fucking hell
>>
File: 1464096766583.png (296 KB, 359x333) Image search: [Google]
1464096766583.png
296 KB, 359x333
>genetics grad student
>"Anon, aren't you worried that now that humans live in civilization where we can take care of stupid people and people with diseases, that we'll stop evolving?"
>"Can GMO's cause cancer with their modified DNA?"
>"Nature or nurture?'
>>
>Be 3 billion year old time traveling junky from outer space
>Enroll in college
>Tell people who I am
>Sent to counselors office
>Tell my story
>It's suggested I'd make a perfect psychologist and psychiatrist because I use circular logic
>Graduate with honors
>Get a job as a clinical psychiatrist with CBT as a side job
>Talk shit about my patients and accuse them of things in my paperwork because everyone is inferior to me and they lie when they say they're aren't inferior stereotypes that NEED me
>Steal frozen hotdogs and throw them at people because Lord Zargon told me to
>Waiting for the spaceship so fuck all of you
>>
>>8139998
that's called circular self-serving logic.
>I passed the culture test
>who make it
>People in my culture
>I said my culture was right
>Therefore I'm smart!
History, Science, Social Studies, Writing, etc.
Have all been influenced by culture.
Accept it.
Education isn't the mark of a genius, it's the mark of a trained seal... sometimes you learn some things, but mostly it's just a circle jerk.
>>
>>8130304

yeah. It'll be the Ph.D's in molecular genetics and other related fields that cure the diseases. Some may have an M.D, but unless they're in pre-clinical research, they didn't actually "cure" shit.
>>
>>8135035
>don't understand something in abcdef, ask a friend
>bro it's this formula
>Yeah, I know, but why does that work? Surely if xyz, then abcd is not applicable
>DUDE JUST USE THE FORMULA IT WORKS

These people are going to be building our roads one day.
>>
>Education Major

>You know schools are just liberal indoctrination camps right
>I had some teachers I really liked in high school, and some I really couldn't stand
>You want to teach middle school? Well aren't you a saint?
>Don't fuck any of your students lol

And the kicker,
>Teachers don't make any money you know

GODDAMNIT I JUST WANT TO TEACH SOME KIDS NOT LISTEN TO 40 YEAR OLD TRUCKERS AND 21 YEAR OLD ENGLISH MAJORS TELL ME ABOUT MY BAD LIFE CHOICES
>>
File: 1372334527699.jpg (266 KB, 905x881) Image search: [Google]
1372334527699.jpg
266 KB, 905x881
>be doctor
>hey anon what do you do
>I'm a doctor
>hey take a look at this rash
>hey my knee hurts
>hey I've been coughing for 3 days

well fuck you too
>>
>"Tesla is so cool and underated he's like some electric wizard n shit"
>>
>>8140119
I admire being curious about everything, but sometimes you just have to be pragmatic
>>
>>8140184
Just wait until the helicopter parents
>>
>>8138113
>not ax + b
>>
>>8140184
>I hate being reminded of my shitty life choices.

Well lucky for you, there's a mechanism of enabling mass denial and false self-worth which is built in to that career; the most obnoxious unions in the world.
>>
File: 1403118740943.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1403118740943.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>"Some scientist on youtube said that god exists because multidimensional strings are the music of space or something"
>>
File: smugpalm.png (352 KB, 533x526) Image search: [Google]
smugpalm.png
352 KB, 533x526
People who add their anecdotes to try and disprove an article or study. I mean it's human nature to chip in a story, but they think it disproves the entire thing because their single experience doesn't line up with it.
>>
>>8127788
Why the fuck do lawyers get so much attention in family gatherings? NO ONE gives a fuck about chemistry, but everyone always flocks to those cockgobblers for some reason. I think they jusy want to hear about the latest shanequa they had to cop a plea bargain for
>>
File: wherehasthecocogone.jpg (36 KB, 275x275) Image search: [Google]
wherehasthecocogone.jpg
36 KB, 275x275
>Why do you think this
>Well you hear stories

I swear I'm going to kill somebody who says this one day
>>
>>8124986
That pic creeps me the fuck out for some reason.
>>
>>8129932
You can scarcely call a looney marching the streets with an amp "the general public", anon.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (53 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
53 KB, 1280x720
>>8140211

I fucking love Electric Wizard!
>>
>>8140316
I live in a right to work state,and hate teacher's unions to begin with
>>
>>8123880

not the person you're responding to, but

fuck off
>>
>>8124784
They are employed.
>>
>>8128125
Psychology isn't even real bro
>>
>>8140392
Good motherfucking taste right here.

Sleep is great as well.
>>
>well you can't know anything because we are limited to our senses and they deceive us so nothing is real
>well except God since I feel him extrasensorially (?) with my heart
>>
>>8140056
there's definitely some truth to this graph.
>>
File: 1344208544711.jpg (3 KB, 126x121) Image search: [Google]
1344208544711.jpg
3 KB, 126x121
>>8140085
>>
>>8138113
y=kx+m
>>
>>8123750
Much you read on the internet is not the "general public". The most valuable thing in this world is to steer peoples thoughts and emotions so probably real big bunch of interest groups troll the fuck out of social media for profit.
>>
>>8134952
>matrices and stuff

I love this one.

Anyway my dad wanted me to tell him that angles are vectors (in high school physics term). I am doing a math degree and I felt weird for saying that in a way you can make a vector field out of everything but at the same time it wouldn't be a vector in a way he wanted. I cried all night
>>
>>8140119
I hate these people.
I'm very unfortunate that if I don't understand a process in completeness I'll forget it, I can't memorise shit.

I'm studying geology and if you know anything about it, it's made my life hell (there is a -lot- to understand if you aren't just going to memorise).
>>
>>8135081
You are an assclown
>>
>>8140535
Quickly, think of a color.

Got it?
Now tell me why its red?
Checkmate Agnostics
>>
>>8140813
just say a vector is an angle and a magnitude
>>
>>8141608
wow didn't realize God posted on 4chan. What's up bro
>>
>>8141637
just killed a little boys parents in Magnanville France. All part of my great plan.

Trying to create a batman to fight isis.

A thousand blessings upon you and your family anon.
>>
>>8140080
>"Anon, aren't you worried that now that humans live in civilization where we can take care of stupid people and people with diseases, that we'll stop evolving?"
But, arent you worried???
>>
>>8141608
>why its red
but it is not red, you charlatan
>>
>>8131342

Just because you couldnt, doesnt mean other cant anon.

Dont bring others down because of your failures.
>>
>>8134856
>>8138113
>>8140304
>>8140671
>not y=mx+q
>>
ignorant posts about math teaching

ignorant posts about "teaching to the test"

anyone who thinks standardized testing in high schools is useful -- protip: it's not.
>>
>>8142400
At least your kinda mindset makes me feel okay about failing math class in high school.
>>
>>8123757
tell them that you LOVE solid state physics and they will shut up
it's little more strict and you cannot condense basics into one article or 20 minute movie
>>
so, um, this just happened. I hope someone gets fired over it.
>>
>>8142400
standardized tests show you who's smart
they're not hard and anyone who ever stressed about them/could not do them well is probably dumb
>>
>>8142990
>standardized tests show you who's smart
No, they show you who hasn't learned the material.

>they're not hard
True.

>anyone who ever stressed about them/could not do them well is probably dumb
False.

Most of the sane complaints about standardized testing have less to do with standardized testing in general, and more to do with the entire primary education system being centered around prepping for the next standardized test. It encourages shitty memorization-based teaching with no intuition involved.

And every time some student does badly, the system feeds into itself with more hammering on memorization, more 400-problem packets of exactly one concept for elementary school children, and less explanation & visual proofs to build intuition.
>>
Lmao you are just from the US.
The general public isn't as pretentious anywhere else.
>>
>>8143100
>The general public isn't as pretentious anywhere else.
Is this bait or adorable naivety?
>>
File: relevant-to-my-interests_cat.jpg (91 KB, 795x622) Image search: [Google]
relevant-to-my-interests_cat.jpg
91 KB, 795x622
so... what field WOULD one have to go to study cancer and maybe find a cure...
>>
>>8143159
Molecular biology, genetics, molecular genetics, epigenetics

That sort of stuff
>>
>>8135060
alright buddy.

youre wrong because youre a stupid faggot = ad hominem

youre wrong for reasons AND youre a stupid faggot =/= ad hominem
>>
>>8143278
Well, it's still ad hominem, but to refuse to argue other points due to ad hominem is fallacy fallacy.
>>
>>8143281
nobodys trying to have an argument with you you mouth-breathing retard. It was an observation.
>>
>>8143284
I was supporting you, prick.
>>
>>8143288
oh misunderstood that. its 3am. prick.
>>
>>8138113
I like c. C like constant.
>>
>>8125005
You are lucky they didnt throw stones at you and burn you at the stake for being a witch.
>>
>>8128186
There are parts of pyschology that tiptoe into real science.

>source: My wife and her Phd in neuropsycology of addictions with a focus in electrophysiology.

I tease her about psychology not being a science all the time.
>>
>biologist with PhD in bioremediation

Oh are you going to become a doctor
>maybe one day grandma
oh your are a gardener
>sure.
what can you do with that?
>clean up your mother's snail trail using crab grass.
>>
File: IMG-20151207-WA0001.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20151207-WA0001.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>>8140087
if you can't fit into your own culture, you sure as hell ain't gonna fit into a different one
>>
>>8136544
>less nutritious
So many people have been recently bringing up the picture showing a banana how it was "originally" and how it is now.

All I see is how a banana went from mostly seeds and little edible meat to mostly edible meat and little seeds.

Aka increasing the yield. Which is a good thing.
>>
>>8144390
mass production did reduce the quality of food. there's lots of research done on this topic. food demands are greater then ever and to produce that much fresh food you have to cheat a little. make it meaty and grow fast, but it's not as nutritious.
>>
>>8124986
is it gona suck his dick
>>
>>8144400
Is it not as nutritious due to increased meatiness?

As in, is it less nutritionally dense? If it's not as nutritionally dense but has so much more meat you still yield more nutrients then isn't that a net positive overall?

That's what I've noticed from a little reading, though. That it's not as nutritionally dense but theres more nutrients due to making things more "meaty".

You seem more well read than me, however. What do you say?
>>
>>8134856
>not f(x)=ax+b
>>
>>8144409
first off, there's no better and healthier way to get vitamins and minerals then by eating fruit. your dad is wrong to be so concerned about it since soda and chips definitely aren't a better option.

the reason why it's less nutritious today then it was 100 years ago is agriculture concentrates more on pest control, size, climate adaptability, growth rate etc. nutrition isn't their top priority, making monkey is. due to that you have a decline in nutrients of the soil because you keep regrowing the crops on the same soil which is filled with pesticides, herbicides.
>>
>>8125019

>toilets are never flushed properly, brown stains everywhere

This is what happens when you hire pajeets
>>
>>8134856

Oh kekkest of keks
>>
>>8140079
I know that feel. Also, just noting, election season is literal hell as an economics student.
>>
>So what are you studying?
>Computer engineering
>Oh, you'll be doing what they do at my job where people call the higher ups to see what's wrong with the machine
>they mean glorified tech support
>Me: Sure.
>>
when people talk about genetics and don't know basic stuff
>>
File: delete your account.png (798 KB, 864x432) Image search: [Google]
delete your account.png
798 KB, 864x432
>>8144435
>nutrition isn't their top priority, making monkey is.
monkey cloning technician here, can confirm
>>
>>8144689
get out and make me some monkey
>>
>>8137887
>But because they are uneducated, they are unable to pick up on what I am doing.

That doesn't mean they're uneducated, it means they're genuinely stupid.
>>
>>8128125
I'll bite. What do the outliers have to do with that belief?
>>
>>8138769
>>husband: "So you think everyone wants to fuck their mom?"

this is what I'm going to start asking anyone who studies a pseudoscience
>>
>>8144756
You know that the quickest and most common answer is gonna be "No, everyone wants to fuck YOUR mom", right?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 48

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.